Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digging up and Moving a Griselinia/Trimming a Gris Hedge

Options
  • 16-09-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi:

I've been though most older posts but cant find specific answer:

In the northwest, seaside.

1) Moving a griselinia plant. Is it OK at about this time (mid Sept) to dig up and move a griselinia plant from one place to another, or would it be better to wait for another month or two? Its about 6 years old, 5 foot.

2) I have a well established griselinia hedge, which could do with a trim, but there's nothing too overgrown, its just the look of it really, to neaten it up. It was last trimmed in April.

Would I be best to leave it until next Spring or could I safely trim it again now? ie: mid September.

3) Planting whip cuttings. I presume now (mid Sept) is a good time to do that?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

1. I'd leave it another 2 months, the weather and ground is very dry at the moment also (well it is here :D)

2. Yes you can trim it now, don't go too hard on it though.

3. What do you mean by whip cuttings? If you are planting bare-root whips it would be better to wait a while, and they are not on sale yet. If you are talking about hardwood cuttings, yes some can be planted now but it depends on what exactly they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Thanks looksee.

Re 3), Indeed, I should have said hardwood cuttings.

Many thanks for that.

Advertisement