Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conversion MK II

• 23-08-2020 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭

I'm bAAAAAaaaaccckkkkk...
    van.jpg

More to follow (obvs)

Comments

Is she related to your last? Much better colour!

There hasn't been a good conversion thread here since 2010! popcor12.gif

This'll be good!

I'm too busy building best in class power electronics to bother much with mine...well tis phishing rain mostov the time anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

This is the younger, more attractive sibling to the last one.
    Intended to be completely different to the last one obviously, including all the learnings that I had.

More details this evening...

Yer 6 months ahead of me again!

Old

1Aof8nb.jpg

Younger big sister.
    4.5L turbo diesel!

uhpK180.jpg

I'm having my cake and eating it. No shortage of parking space around here...I'm keeping both!

Intended to be completely different to the last one obviously, including all the learnings that I had.

Sounds deadly...looks like ya could fit 600W of solar on that roof.
    The going rate for 300W is ~€100 these days but you can get them cheaper if you know where to look. I'm inclined to go all electric, gas requirements are fast becoming obsolete.

Purely for selfish reasons, I've started a thread on the builds forum, hopefully I'll get a wider reach there.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058107121

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

The going rate for 300W is ~€100 these days but you can get them cheaper if you know where to look.

Where can you get 300w for that price? I assume it's a single 300w panel?

• Advertisement

Alkers wrote: »
    Where can you get 300w for that price? I assume it's a single 300w panel?

I'm also interested to know this. Solar mightn't be my immediate plan, but its in the pipeline.

Yer 6 months ahead of me again!

Old

1Aof8nb.jpg

Younger big sister.
    4.5L turbo diesel!

uhpK180.jpg

I'm having my cake and eating it. No shortage of parking space around here...I'm keeping both!

Sounds deadly...looks like ya could fit 600W of solar on that roof.
    The going rate for 300W is ~€100 these days but you can get them cheaper if you know where to look. I'm inclined to go all electric, gas requirements are fast becoming obsolete.

Them's be big busses. Care to share some inside photos?

Purely for selfish reasons, I've started a thread on the builds forum, hopefully I'll get a wider reach there.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058107121

Ah ya big tease! :P
    Just come back to us when yer fridge isn't working is it? p-sah! :)

Solartricity for cheap all black mono panels and grab a used MorningStar MPPT or two from ebay.
    15% trade discount if you ask in a half convincing manner.

If you ask for the end of pallet stock they'll have a further knock down on price. I know they won't have any though because I cleaned them out a fortnight ago. €55 + VAT for the 265W odd-balls.

Eh yeah I can raise a few photos but I'll be gutting it and starting from the ground up with a camper disc in the window and some Youtoob welding lessons. She's in pretty good knick but I'm going all out.

Ah ya big tease! :P
    Just come back to us when yer fridge isn't working is it? p-sah! :)

Solartricity for cheap all black mono panels and grab a used MorningStar MPPT or two from ebay.
    15% trade discount if you ask in a half convincing manner.

If you ask for the end of pallet stock they'll have a further knock down on price. I know they won't have any though because I cleaned them out a fortnight ago. €55 + VAT for the 265W odd-balls.

Eh yeah I can raise a few photos but I'll be gutting it and starting from the ground up with a camper disc in the window and some Youtoob welding lessons. She's in pretty good knick but I'm going all out.

That MorningStar stuff looks wild expensive, or I'm not looking at the right things.

I take it a voltage regulator like this would do?
    Are the needed one per panel, or can the panel's be put in series / paralell?

That MorningStar stuff looks wild expensive, or I'm not looking at the right things.

Buy a used one. They're bulletproof.

I take it a voltage regulator like this would do?

Pirelli or Starmaxx?

Are the needed one per panel, or can the panel's be put in series / paralell?

Any of the above depending on your electrical design

• Advertisement

True and I would fit a gas redundancy for Winter.
    However there is an awful lot of synergy from a one fuel onboard policy.
    I can put solar in a laptop, or a fridge or a cooker or a light.
    I cannot power my laptop with gas.
    You can get a domestic fridge for €100 instead of a camper one for €600 and run it from the inverter that was bought to power the induction hobs.
    100W of solar with run a well insulated fridge 365. It'll be €8 a week to run a gas one.

I feel like I'm thread hi-jacking...maybe we ought to discuss in one of your's Mr T if there's anything to add?

Yeah, lets not hijack the other threads with electrical talk.

When you talk of cheap domestic fridges, are you saying something in the vacinity of this
    as a replacement for the campervan one?

Also would need to pick up an inverter too.

I already have a 3 way fridge, though its old. There's a fault with the 240 side which could be fixed, but I'm weighing up if its worth replacing or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Yeah, lets not hijack the other threads with electrical talk.

When you talk of cheap domestic fridges, are you saying something in the vacinity of this
    as a replacement for the campervan one?

Also would need to pick up an inverter too.

I already have a 3 way fridge, though its old. There's a fault with the 240 side which could be fixed, but I'm weighing up if its worth replacing or not.

Check out these guys, although I haven't used them (link in German but theres an English option)
    https://belluna.eu/ueber-uns/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'm bAAAAAaaaaccckkkkk...
    van.jpg

More to follow (obvs)

Going to follow... How's it looking underneath? Have a coachbuilt MoHo on a mk7 Transit so alway interested in seeing the Ford bits underneath.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Going to follow... How's it looking underneath? Have a coachbuilt MoHo on a mk7 Transit so alway interested in seeing the Ford bits underneath.

Chat around the underside of the van is over on the builds forum here

I'll update that one as the build progresses

Sure. Anything with a compressor. That looks a bit small. 60L is a better minimum I'd say.

Studer make excellent inverters. I've been through the rest of the competition...most of them...I wouldn't buy another make.

And yes they're expensive. I've a 15year old 1.2kVA one can power an oil rad.
    They're a safe bet if you find a used one.

You'll want one which exceeds the fridges rating 3x if it's high frequency or 2x if it's low frequency. LF are the best, don't believe the hype. I've a pile of broken inverters to back that up with.

Ah ya big tease! tongue.png
    Just come back to us when yer fridge isn't working is it? p-sah! smile.png

That didn't take long! :pac:
    Put a bullet in it.

Its a switch, a t-stat and a resistor...nothing sophisticated.
    If you can continuity & resistance test down the chain to diagnose I'm sure Tristan would have spares he could post you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Having just spent a couple of weeks welding my old Jalopy I'd definitely recommend cavity wax I used Bilt Hamber Dynax s50 this time around its much thinner and goes on great with the nozzle supplied and capliliaries its way into ever crevice. Much better compared to usual waxoyl alternatives and cavity/schutz gun.

Advertisement