Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from UK post Brexit

• 22-08-2020 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to import a campervan from the UK before Spring next year. Is there any advantage in importing it before Brexit at the end of this year or will the process remain unchanged in the new year?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Nitpick: Brexit has already happened ;) - we're now in the grace period while they get their act together, and as they're showing no sign of doing so, no-one can tell you whether or not there'll be any advantage in waiting. Chances are, there won't, and if it's a UK-built/converted camper you could be looking at a whole lot more paperwork than is currently the case, and probably customs duties for a non-EU import.

See here for the official Irish government position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I imported a 91 camper from Japan 10 years ago and was charged VAT as it came from outside the EU chances are you could be charged VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When the UK leaves at the end of the year you'll have to pay VAT* on import, which will include your ferry costs, along with their made up VRT price. Once the UK leaves unless Sterling tanks against the Euro there's little point in bringing anything in.

*Some people are saying that the EU VAT has already been paid as the vehicle was purchased when the UK was in the EU. That's not how it works, when the UK leaves the EU they become a 3rd country and all the charges that come with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Unless you absolutely have to have a RHD van, you can get whatever you want in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Unless you absolutely have to have a RHD van, you can get whatever you want in Germany.

I plan to use the van almost exclusively in Ireland so a RHD would be most practical.

Also, the van I am looking at is a mid 90s Toyota hiace hitop 4WD for sale in Scotland. I would travel to and from Scotland via Northern Ireland so would not have to quarantine for 14 days on my return which would be the case if I traveled to Germany.

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I plan to use the van almost exclusively in Ireland so a RHD would be most practical.

Also, the van I am looking at is a mid 90s Toyota hiace hitop 4WD for sale in Scotland. I would travel to and from Scotland via Northern Ireland so would not have to quarantine for 14 days on my return which would be the case if I traveled to Germany.

You have to quarantine for going to the Britain, or any country not on the green list, how you get to or from it is irrelevant.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You have to quarantine for going to the Britain, or any country not on the green list, how you get to or from it is irrelevant.

No it’s not. Traveling from Britain via the north is excluded from quarantine.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/returning_to_Ireland_and_covid.html

No it’s not. Traveling from Britain via the north is excluded from quarantine.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/returning_to_Ireland_and_covid.html

You aren't arriving from NI you are transiting through NI from Scotland which isn't on the green list.

You aren't arriving from NI you are transiting through NI from Scotland which isn't on the green list.

I sought clarification from the dept of foreign affairs on this exact point at the start of August for work and the reply I received was that there is no quarantine requirement for travellers from Scotland entering the Republic of Ireland from Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

So you think the virus will just magically disappear as you travel through Norn Iron. You are free to take whatever stupid risks with your own life but can you ignore your conscience if you infect and kill your contacts when you come home. If that loophole in the law exists it is incredibly stupid, but what is even more stupid and indeed criminally reckless is that you should even consider exploiting it. Surf safely but kill your friends.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I have 1991 LH119 YMC conversion, high top part time 4WD with auto low box. Send us a link to it even by PM.

They are great van, but the MPG is terrible. Still work it though.

zambo wrote: »
    So you think the virus will just magically disappear as you travel through Norn Iron. You are free to take whatever stupid risks with your own life but can you ignore your conscience if you infect and kill your contacts when you come home. If that loophole in the law exists it is incredibly stupid, but what is even more stupid and indeed criminally reckless is that you should even consider exploiting it. Surf safely but kill your friends.

Those are the regulations as they stand at the moment.
    II never said I intended to travel I simply replied to a poster who suggested buying from Germany and stated that one advantage of buying via N.Ireland rather than Germany.

Yes it is a loophole and no traveling through N. Ireland will not make the virus disappear just as a toasted cheese sandwich with your pint offers no protection from the virus but both things are legal, not criminal as you suggest.

I presume you are equally critical of those eating in pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I plan to use the van almost exclusively in Ireland so a RHD would be most practical. .

While a RHD might be the most practical I've just completed a three-week staycation in my LHD A-Class and it was no hassle even on narrow R roads. In the extreme we travelled to Keem Bay on Achill Island SEE HERE.
    It's surprising how quickly you become used to a LHD. The two main issues are overtaking, but then traveling by camper is supposed to be a leasure activity. Secondly, roundabouts and T junctions are easilly managed by selecting the correct position road for a view to the right.

I've driven my RHD in France, it makes on difference you are higher up and can see over cars so if you need to over take you can but with an old slow camper especially hi-ace with an auto box you do very little over taking. They have terrible mpg and a heavy foot will cost you an extra 20 quid on a trip. The only place i t makes a difference is tolls but you can get a tag for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The only place i t makes a difference is tolls but you can get a tag for that.

Well, also carparks with automatic barriers, ferry terminals, customs/police checkpoints, etc. And the "caravan" door (if there is one) is typically on the passenger side, which can be of relevance if local rules say you must park in the direction of traffic. Maybe not too much of a problem in Ireland where these things are less frequent, but who knows when the rules will change - worth being aware of.

CJhaughey wrote: »

Any German sites to check? I tried Google but not much use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Well, also carparks with automatic barriers, ferry terminals, customs/police checkpoints, etc. And the "caravan" door (if there is one) is typically on the passenger side, which can be of relevance if local rules say you must park in the direction of traffic. Maybe not too much of a problem in Ireland where these things are less frequent, but who knows when the rules will change - worth being aware of.

If I come across a car park barrier I just walk around the front of the 'van. Ferry terminal check-in booths in Europe are all set up for LHD's while here (like Rosslare) there are booths for both RHD and LHD, just get in the correct queue.
    At customs/police checkpoints in RHD countries, my experience is that they will approach my side once I indicate I'm the driver on the LHS.
    My 'caravan' door is on the offside (in RHD countries) but there is always the cab door to avoid alighting onto the roadway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Any German sites to check? I tried Google but not much use.

I used Mobile.de, its not just DE its also IT and NL etc. Big site plenty of choice.
    I found my van there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

IThe only place i t makes a difference is tolls but you can get a tag for that.

The way many of our junctions are set up, you will have to come out "squarer" in a LHD van, but they are still really practical here.

Advertisement