Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

deezell wrote: »
    You'll likely need to drop the blade to access the clutch mechanism on the shaft next to the engine. Does the cable disappear trough the deck to this area, or is there a visible terminanation of the cable to a mechanism over the deck, which would be handier.

Hi deezal

You are correct the two cables disappear into the deck on the left hand side

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

Hi deezal

You are correct the two cables disappear into the deck on the left hand side

The blade clutch may be behind a cover panel over the blade. Drain petrol and tilt the mower on its back end. For the power drive cable it would be similar to the video in the other post. For the blade clutch there would a be round mechanism on the motor shaft, and some kind of lever mechanism to take the cable pull into the clutch drum and compress the plates .
    This still from a Honda mower tutorial shows the cable connected into the roto stop clutch. I note there is no adjustment to the cable, its a fixed distance from the cable mount to the lever. If there is no adjustment at the handle end, then either the cable is frayed and stretched, or else the roto stop needs new internal parts. Watch the video, https://youtu.be/yJy88lZE6Ro, it might be similar to yours.

526636.jpg

The blade clutch may be behind a cover panel over the blade. Drain petrol and tilt the mower on its back end. For the power drive cable it would be similar to the video in the other post. For the blade clutch there would a be round mechanism on the motor shaft, and some kind of lever mechanism to take the cable pull into the clutch drum and compress the plates .
    This still from a Honda mower tutorial shows the cable connected into the roto stop clutch. I note there is no adjustment to the cable, its a fixed distance from the cable mount to the lever. If there is no adjustment at the handle end, then either the cable is frayed and stretched, or else the roto stop needs new internal parts. Watch the video, https://youtu.be/yJy88lZE6Ro, it might be similar to yours.

526636.jpg

Thank You Deezal your knowledge know no bounds - this is going to be a tricky one I think

Thank You Deezal your knowledge know no bounds - this is going to be a tricky one I think

First check that the cable is sound at both ends, no frayed or broken strands, and that the lever is turning. If the blade is slipping in use then the friction plate is either worn out or baked and polished, or a bit of both, as in the video. Your man is a bit anal, but very precise and methodical. His 25 yr old Honda hasn't a scratch on it, like new, he must bring it to bed with him
    Despite his almost OCD approach, there's a few things he shouldn't have done. His friction disk and pressure plate were highly polished from use, and slipping. He sanded these to give them a rough face. The friction disk was well within thickness spec, so he decided not to use his new one. This disk was very old, you could see by its brown colour that the friction pads were well roasted and compromised, hard as glass. They will be glazed and slipping again in no time. He shouldn't be so tight about a €26 once in a lifetime part. Also, you can get both disk and spring+plate for an extra €10, (probably not genuine Honda spares but then brake and clutch parts rarely are.)
    Why replace the spring? Well if the clutch was slipping badly over time, the pressure plate in which the spring is recessed would have got very hot, maybe enough to change the temper of spring. If the spring is compromised, your new disk will be shot in no time.
    Finally, DON'T wear open toed sandals when operating a mower, unless you like picking metal, wood and stone splinters out from under your toenails, and don't even imagine the consequences of sticking your foot under the deck rim by mistake. Ugh. Steel capped boots are cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bedouin79

Lads looking for a recommendation on a good mulcher push mower, ideally mulch only but would consider a 3 in 1 unit as well. This will be mainly for tidy up and hard to reach areas. Second hand or new

Friend is moving home over the next period of time form the states.
    Just asked me did I need or want anything brought home with him!

Had a look at some of the regular garden gear like strummers lawnmower etc

I know there might be differences with parts - not too bothered if there is a good davings,

Does anyone recommend any In particular?

I may take him up on the offer

I know there might be differences with parts - not too bothered if there is a good davings,

Does anyone recommend any In particular?

I may take him up on the offer

How about this big 22" cut Toro with variable speed drive, $359, a little over €300. Would be twice that here.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycler-22-in-SmartStow-High-Wheel-Variable-Speed-Walk-Behind-Gas-Self-Propelled-Mower-20339/205026227

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

where can I buy a grass deflector for a Honda 36inch ride on?

where can I buy a grass deflector for a Honda 36inch ride on?

A rear deflector? There's generic ones out there that fit most models, like this,

https://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/accessories-attachments/honda-tractor-grass-deflector.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

A rear deflector? There's generic ones out there that fit most models, like this,

https://www.gardenmachinerydirect.co.uk/accessories-attachments/honda-tractor-grass-deflector.html

Thanks for that what I want is there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I have a cylinder push mower and it's not cutting the grass properly. It only cuts some of the grass blades, and the rest are just pushed over by the mower if that makes sense, and not actually cut, giving an uneven cut.. I've tried sharpening the blades but that didn't do much. Does anyone know what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I have a cylinder push mower and it's not cutting the grass properly. It only cuts some of the grass blades, and the rest are just pushed over by the mower if that makes sense, and not actually cut, giving an uneven cut.. I've tried sharpening the blades but that didn't do much. Does anyone know what the problem is?

My guess is either a couple of blades are buckled or the metal plate where the blades scrape against is not close enough to the blades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Darc19 wrote: »
    the metal plate where the blades scrape against is not close enough to the blades

Thanks, turned out this was the problem. Fixed it and now it's cutting properly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

Off topic aside : as a temporary I bought a rotary with a Honda engine the other week. Was suprised to see a sticker on it suggesting it was not approved for USA and Canada

3d4life wrote: »
    Off topic aside : as a temporary I bought a rotary with a Honda engine the other week. Was suprised to see a sticker on it suggesting it was not approved for USA and Canada

emissions I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stove

Hi, just looking for some advice.

Need mower to cut approx 1.5acres. Most is flat with approx a quarter with slopes..some steep enough.

I was considering the Toro timemaster initially but I like the zero turn machines and somebody mentioned the Hustler Raptor. Not great on slopes I hear.

Is there another ZTR that might be more suitable?

Want a machine that will mulch and that is able to cut strong and sometimes wet grass within reason. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Hi everyone..I'm just wondering if anyone on here has the husqvarna r214tc rider mower..very interested to hear opinions on them..I would be moving from a honda 2417 mower . I am changing from collecting to mulching down to lawn sizes and a mountain of grass clippings.
    I have a friend selling his 3 yr old one.. new prices are about 3700 euro .what kind of depreciation do mowers endure?
    Thanks..

First check that the cable is sound at both ends, no frayed or broken strands, and that the lever is turning. If the blade is slipping in use then the friction plate is either worn out or baked and polished, or a bit of both, as in the video. Your man is a bit anal, but very precise and methodical. His 25 yr old Honda hasn't a scratch on it, like new, he must bring it to bed with him
    Despite his almost OCD approach, there's a few things he shouldn't have done. His friction disk and pressure plate were highly polished from use, and slipping. He sanded these to give them a rough face. The friction disk was well within thickness spec, so he decided not to use his new one. This disk was very old, you could see by its brown colour that the friction pads were well roasted and compromised, hard as glass. They will be glazed and slipping again in no time. He shouldn't be so tight about a €26 once in a lifetime part. Also, you can get both disk and spring+plate for an extra €10, (probably not genuine Honda spares but then brake and clutch parts rarely are.)
    Why replace the spring? Well if the clutch was slipping badly over time, the pressure plate in which the spring is recessed would have got very hot, maybe enough to change the temper of spring. If the spring is compromised, your new disk will be shot in no time.
    Finally, DON'T wear open toed sandals when operating a mower, unless you like picking metal, wood and stone splinters out from under your toenails, and don't even imagine the consequences of sticking your foot under the deck rim by mistake. Ugh. Steel capped boots are cheap as chips.

I bought the cables to fix this so going to give it a shot searched around but couldn’t find anything specifically for the mower model but this is insightful Deezall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just ordered a Makita 382z... I have batteries already. I've only two relatively small areas of lawn and have found the inconvenience of an electric mower to be a disincentive to just running the mower...

TBH I'm looking forward to having a mini garden ecosystem based on battery appliances...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

How about this big 22" cut Toro with variable speed drive, $359, a little over €300. Would be twice that here.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycler-22-in-SmartStow-High-Wheel-Variable-Speed-Walk-Behind-Gas-Self-Propelled-Mower-20339/205026227

I'm looking at buying a similar Toro lawnmower in Ireland and its 570 euro here , which is nearly twice that price.:mad:

Zardoz wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a similar Toro lawnmower in Ireland and its 570 euro here , which is nearly twice that price.:mad:

On the other hand, stick your toe in the mower here, and you'll pay. €100 for A&E, do that in the US without insurance, you'll need to remortgage your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

On the other hand, stick your toe in the mower here, and you'll pay. €100 for A&E, do that in the US without insurance, you'll need to remortgage your house.

You'd wonder though if they can sell it for that price in the US how much does it cost to manufacture and what corners are cut in manufacturing and materials.

Zardoz wrote: »
    You'd wonder though if they can sell it for that price in the US how much does it cost to manufacture and what corners are cut in manufacturing and materials.

Well, not manufacturing it in the US is one of the biggest corners. Toro US mostly manufactures it's commercial products, it farms out the budget consumer models to MTD, who in turn manufacture for them and other big names including Massey Ferguson, in various plants including Hungary and good ole China. Who knows what path a Toro mower takes to get here, whither there are tarrifs and customs applied, but goods are sold at what the market will bear, you expect to pay near €600 for a branded 22" mower, so that's what you pay, even if it leaves China for $100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I have a husqvarna lt12.5 ride on with a Kawasaki lv400v engine. The carb is gone but everything else is fine on it.
    I can't find a carb online.
    Anyone know where to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

I have a husqvarna lt12.5 ride on with a Kawasaki lv400v engine. The carb is gone but everything else is fine on it.
    I can't find a carb online.
    Anyone know where to get one?

Do you have the exact model number of the mower?

Or better still, a pic of the engine ID badge, should be stuck on the engine cover to the side. Mower parts book often show the engine as just a picture, with seperate leaflets supplied with the mower identifying the various engines that might be fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Here's a pic I took.
    Not near the mower now

So here's one expensive replacement, but it give You a model no. to search. You might find a generic equivalent
    https://www.ereplacementparts.com/carburetorasm-p-422725.html

• Advertisement

Advertisement