Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watering house plants while away

Options
  • 10-09-2020 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

I've to head away for three weeks, and looking for a way to water my house plants while I'm not here.

I was thinking of getting a Hozelock watering kit.

I'll place all the pots in the bath for the time period I'm away. And I was hoping to use a 30L tank to feed the dripping system. So basically 10L per week for everything, while I'm away.

I don't really have the option to connect direct to mains in the bathroom, which is why I'm going for a 30L tank option.

Am I crazy? Is there another method that would work better?

Comments

Effects wrote: »
    I've to head away for three weeks, and looking for a way to water my house plants while I'm not here.

I was thinking of getting a Hozelock watering kit.

I'll place all the pots in the bath for the time period I'm away. And I was hoping to use a 30L tank to feed the dripping system. So basically 10L per week for everything, while I'm away.

I don't really have the option to connect direct to mains in the bathroom, which is why I'm going for a 30L tank option.

Am I crazy? Is there another method that would work better?

I use these, or something similar.

You fill a plastic bottle, 500ml or even 2lt, screw it onto the spike and it drip feeds water into the plant. Theres a small tap to adjust the amount and you could always use 2 for a very thirsty plant. My thirstier plants will go in the sink or bath. Though some plants, like my rosemary, doesn't like having 'wet feet'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

They look good. Not sure if I'll get something like that from Amazon in time though.

My thirstier plants will go in the sink or bath. Though some plants, like my rosemary, doesn't like having 'wet feet'.

Does that work? I'd have thought it would drench the roots too much.

Does that work? I'd have thought it would drench the roots too much.

Earlier in the summer I left a few plants in the bath for 6 weeks, they all survived.

I think I'd be stressing out thinking about whether they were going to make it or not!

• Advertisement

I think I'd be stressing out thinking about whether they were going to make it or not!

How many plants are we talking and what varieties?
    And where do you live?

In total, I've about 30 plants. A bunch of different varieties. I'm based in Dublin City.

In total, I've about 30 plants. A bunch of different varieties. I'm based in Dublin City.

If you want to try the drip feed waters ive a few you can have. Im in Dublin too.

I'd say the bath is your best bet.

I'd be very concerned about anything thats hooked up to a tap leaking and causing an awful mess.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I find a combination of keeping plants in the bath and using these works a treat.
    Automatic-Ceramic-Drip-Garden-Plant-Watering-System.jpg_350x350.jpg
    You can often find them in €2 shops or Dealz, too.
    One time, when I was gone for nearly a month, I lined the tub with heavy duty plastic sheets, put a few cm of vermiculite on top, about a cm of water and the plants on top of the vermiculite. A layer of soaked water retaining gel on the soil helps, too.

If you want to try the drip feed waters ive a few you can have. Im in Dublin too.

I'd say the bath is your best bet.

I'd be very concerned about anything thats hooked up to a tap leaking and causing an awful mess.

Thanks for the help, and offer of the drip feeders.

I've managed to get someone who's going to come in and water them now.

Crossing my fingers they'll be ok! I've a few plants that are a bit finicky.
    Avocados being the worst!

• Advertisement
Advertisement