Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acorns on oak trees

• 02-09-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭

Any information I have read suggests that oak trees do not produce acorns until they are 70 to 80 years old. I have what I think is a Sessile oak in the garden which is no more than 20 years old and has quite a good crop of acorns. They are quite small but definitely acorns. Is this particularly unusual?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen oaks which are not much more than ten years old producing acorns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wonder where this 80 years thing has come from, I remember years back being told that was the youngest that oaks produce acorns, but it is evidently not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ok, I actually did a bit more research and most articles seem to say 'people say 20/50/70 years but...' and it turns out they can have acorns as young as 5 years, though it does depend a bit on how much light the tree is getting - a forest tree is likely to be older - and crops from younger trees are likely to be less abundant.

Those strains brought into cultivation would be likely to be more precocious, I suppose. I think it is reasonably well established that the prime acorn producing age for the two native oaks is between 40 and 120 years old. You often seen magnificent woodland trees, completely barren, year on year, obviously past their fertile prime; I don't know whether acorn producing simply stops, or just tails off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There's a few oak trees out the back, not that big but they produce acorns,

• Advertisement
Advertisement