Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK Colleges

Options
  • 24-09-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

How can you have a Forum called "NI & UK Colleges" :confused:

May I suggest the title be changed to "NI & GB Colleges" or just simply "UK Colleges" ...............

NI + GB = UK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Camelot wrote: »
    How can you have a Forum called "NI & UK Colleges" :confused:

May I suggest the title be changed to "NI & GB Colleges" or just simply "UK Colleges" ...............

NI + GB = UK

Ah shur pretty soon NI will be under Irish rule so there wont be a need for this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

I personally prefer NI & UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I personally prefer NI & UK

It was a serious point of order I was making, not a preference, the title of this Forum is flawed in the same way as a Forum for colleges in "Denmark & Scandinavia" would also be flawed. NI & UK = Oxymoron (contradiction in terms).

My opening Post was aimed at a moderator who I hoped would remedy the flawed wording.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Personally I don't see that much of a problem with it as is but it shouldn't be too much hassle for an admin to sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I noticed it too...but I didn't want to complain coz I asked for the rest of the UK to be added to the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

NI & Mainland UK Colleges?

I don't know that everyone realises the distinction...so GB....though correct...perhaps might not be understood by the people using the forum.

Seriously, I think if you asked a lot of people what the difference is between GB and UK they wouldn't know. Whilst I am all for correctness I don't think the error is harming anyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

ellscurr wrote: »

I don't know that everyone realises the distinction...so GB....though correct...perhaps might not be understood by the people using the forum.

Seriously, I think if you asked a lot of people what the difference is between GB and UK they wouldn't know. Whilst I am all for correctness I don't think the error is harming anyone here.

+ 1 to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

That phrase doesn't make any sense. The island of Britain is a much of an island as the island of Ireland so why call it the "mainland"?. Just call the forum "NI and GB Colleges". Its correct and doesn't cause offence to anyone.

DJDC wrote: »
    That phrase doesn't make any sense. The island of Britain is a much of an island as the island of Ireland so why call it the "mainland"?. Just call the forum "NI and GB Colleges". Its correct and doesn't cause offence to anyone.

I didn't say it would offend anyone, I said that not everyone knows the difference and as the title of the forum is causing no-one any harm and may in fact make it more accessible for people, I don't see the point in changing it, correct or not.

There are no political undertones - I find the use of UK no more 'offensive' than NI & GB. I also see no problem leaving it the way it is. There are plenty of other errors on boards that no-one bothers to correct; this shouldn't be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sorry for being so pedantic by starting this Thread in the first place, but the Title of the Forum just caught my eye, and I thought, "NI & UK" ......... that looks a bit odd :cool:

Anyway, Its fixed now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Camelot wrote: »
    Sorry for being so pedantic by starting this Thread in the first place, but the Title of the Forum just caught my eye, and I thought, "NI & UK" ......... that looks a bit odd :cool:

Anyway, Its fixed now!

ya did the right thing

Presumably you'll be all for a name change from the current "A forum for colleges in Nothern Ireland & the Great Britain" as that is also clearly incorrect.

Obviously just a point of order, right?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's sorted now so I'll lock this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement