Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb can't travel due to Covid

Options
  • 19-10-2020 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I have an Airbnb booked in Sligo for a few days next week. I booked it back in August when numbers of cases countrywide were low. I am based in Dublin, so don't expect to be able to travel due to Covid restrictions.

I cancelled the host last week about cancelling and she is refusing to refund me. What are my options here? Is there any way I can get my money back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Regardless of whether you felt the number of cases were low, by August everyone knew this was a global pandemic. There was always the risk that you were not going to be able to make the trip.

See:
    https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I have an Airbnb booked in Sligo for a few days next week. I booked it back in August when numbers of cases countrywide were low. I am based in Dublin, so don't expect to be able to travel due to Covid restrictions.

I cancelled the host last week about cancelling and she is refusing to refund me. What are my options here? Is there any way I can get my money back?

Are they on teh AirBnB site??? Did u book thru the site? I would contact AirBnB and cancel thru them....... they will just refund you and take the money off her outstanding monies.

Bad form on her part... is she living in cloud cuckoo land??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Masala wrote: »
    Are they on teh AirBnB site??? Did u book thru the site? I would contact AirBnB and cancel thru them....... they will just refund you and take the money off her outstanding monies.

Bad form on her part... is she living in cloud cuckoo land??

Essential travel is permitted. The airbnb could be used by a person caring for an elderly relative nearby or a businessman working in the area. If the op wasn't happy with the cancellation policy he/she shouldn't have booked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

antix80 wrote: »
    Essential travel is permitted. The airbnb could be used by a person caring for an elderly relative nearby or a businessman working in the area. If the op wasn't happy with the cancellation policy he/she shouldn't have booked it.

Ya.... but the OP can now say that the trip would not be considered essential and the Government has advised not to travel outside your county. From the AirBnB owner point of view - they should concerned that 'an outsider' is coming to a community with the possibility of spreading a virus.

We ALL have to play ball here in these unforeseen circumstances..... making a profit on the back of people following government directions is bad form. The owner is not out of pocket on a cancellation.....

If it was me..... I would be doing a song and dance all over FB and AirBnB comments page about it. There is such thing as Bad Reviews mattering... and people do read same etc and this could have long term effect on future bookings. My 2 cents anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

That's one of my main problems with AirBnB. The cancelation policies. I try and use accommodation listed on Booking.com that has better cancelation policies any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we booked 2 AirBnBs over the summer, they both offered free cancellation up to a week beforehand, and we wouldn't have booked them otherwise. I'm surprised they're not all offering this, and I'm also surprised anyone would book without it under the current circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get a refund through your credit card company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Barbeapapa

I am an Airbnb host. As far as i understand their normal cancellation policies apply UNLESS YOU OR THE HOST HAVE COVID.

I am giving potential guests a full refund of my charge but Airbnb are keeping their substantial fees(as far as I know). Added to that, in order for the guests to get their refund I have to cancel on them. Which leads to potential penalties against me/loss of super host status and possible financial charges! I haven't got that far yet as they are impossible to communicate with but I think it is damaging their reputation (deservedly). My friend lost all their money on an Airbnb during the summer even though their flights were cancelled and travel not recommended, they will never use Airbnb again.

The airbnb community is good for information -it's hosts and users, not staff, but they might have some information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Who did you book through originally?

Barbeapapa wrote: »
    I am an Airbnb host. As far as i understand their normal cancellation policies apply UNLESS YOU OR THE HOST HAVE COVID.

I am giving potential guests a full refund of my charge but Airbnb are keeping their substantial fees(as far as I know). Added to that, in order for the guests to get their refund I have to cancel on them. Which leads to potential penalties against me/loss of super host status and possible financial charges! I haven't got that far yet as they are impossible to communicate with but I think it is damaging their reputation (deservedly). My friend lost all their money on an Airbnb during the summer even though their flights were cancelled and travel not recommended, they will never use Airbnb again.

The airbnb community is good for information -it's hosts and users, not staff, but they might have some information.
    Isn't that another problem with booking with AirBnB, the host can cancel for any reason without a penalty. Well and good, the customer will get refunded, but it could be inconvenient to source alternative accommodation depending on what event is on. Has happened to me twice.
    At least with booking.com, if a host cancels, booking.com will pay the difference is accommodation costs if the new accommodation is more expensive than the original booking. That has happened to me once, got paid by booking.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

The host doesn't get any money until after the guests check in so Airbnb have the money. If you booked with a moderate cancellation policy you should be able to cancel it with Airbnb and be refunded your money

I thought moderate cancellation with Airbnb was half the price of the booking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

It depends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Barbeapapa

As a host (posted above) I've been in touch with Airbnb quite a bit over the past few days cancelling and refunding would-have-been guests. They have been very helpful and guests have all been refunded. The only thing is I had to initiate the cancellation if it was within close to the stay.

In 6 years this is the first time I've had to contact them and I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy it all was.

Someone gave me a number for them: 01.697 1831 though I haven't had to call them.

Advertisement