Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are apple cores okay for birds??

Options
  • 22-10-2020 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I’ve googled this but cannot see a straightforward answer and would rather have one of your folks tell me properly.

Is it okay to throw an apple core into the garden for birds to eat? Seeds and all.

I don’t want do it if it is a hazard to them or if it will just be left there to rot and draw a rat.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

In my garden, (and in many others that I know of) birds will go for any apple fallen under an apple tree. Peck, peck!
    (especially blackbirds, bulfinches, and black-caps)

Which kind of proves that apples are ok for birds to eat.

They don't usually eat the core, which just means, they know their own business.
    And no, I've never seen rats take any interest.

Foxes will eat up cores and all. They'd also happily eat the blackbirds - and the rats!

Nature achieves balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Day Lewin wrote: »
    In my garden, (and in many others that I know of) birds will go for any apple fallen under an apple tree. Peck, peck!
    (especially blackbirds, bulfinches, and black-caps)

Which kind of proves that apples are ok for birds to eat.

They don't usually eat the core, which just means, they know their own business.
    And no, I've never seen rats take any interest.

Foxes will eat up cores and all. They'd also happily eat the blackbirds - and the rats!

Nature achieves balance.

Thank you.

It never occurred to me that apples are already something available to them :D

Advertisement