Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGTB in TV advertising

Options
  • 09-08-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Feel free to point out if I am wrong

I was watching TV today and there were about 3 or 4 ads in which the happy couple were lesbians! Very progressive you might think, and rightly so, fair play to the AD men realizing a potential target market, but I honestly cannot think of one single advert (on TV) where the happy couple were two men!

Is this a form of sexism/bias whatever?

Again happy to be proven wrong as I don't really watch a great deal of TV!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

While most people in Ireland are fine with people being gay obviously I'd say a reasonably significant number of the population would still be uncomfortable with seeing men actually seeing these men being intimate with one another in a romantic way.

Lesbians less so. So the advertisers can appear progressive without alienating much of the audience.

But anecdotally I would actually say that gay male couples are reasonably common on television, especially shows geared towards younger viewers ,very often has a gay male couple or character who has relations with other guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Lesbian Gay tuberculosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

I think a recent an post ad had a male gay couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

An Post has a male couple in their Christmas ad two years back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

eviltwin wrote: »
    An Post has a male couple in their Christmas ad two years back

Gay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Gay

Well duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

bb1234567 wrote: »
    While most people in Ireland are fine with people being gay obviously I'd say a reasonably significant number of the population would still be uncomfortable with seeing men actually seeing these men being intimate with one another in a romantic way.

Lesbians less so. So the advertisers can appear progressive without alienating much of the audience.

But anecdotally I would actually say that gay male couples are reasonably common on television, especially shows geared towards younger viewers ,very often has a gay male couple or character who has relations with other guys.

I get that, but I am talking about advertising specifically, I can't stand double standards, it's like "look at us aren't we progressive!" "OK have two men kissing or even linking arms!" and you get the "lets not go too far" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I get that, but I am talking about advertising specifically, I can't stand double standards, it's like "look at us aren't we progressive!" "OK have two men kissing or even linking arms!" and you get the "lets not go too far" attitude.

What you’re suggesting just sounds like tokenism as opposed to representation. Tokenism and stereotyping don’t do representation of anyone any favours. They might be progressive, but their advertising is still shìt and doesn’t encourage anyone to buy their product. Because at the end of the day that’s what advertising campaigns are about - generating sales. They really don’t give a fcuk who’s actually buying the product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Feel free to point out if I am wrong

I was watching TV today and there were about 3 or 4 ads in which the happy couple were lesbians! Very progressive you might think, and rightly so, fair play to the AD men realizing a potential target market, but I honestly cannot think of one single advert (on TV) where the happy couple were two men!

Is this a form of sexism/bias whatever?

Again happy to be proven wrong as I don't really watch a great deal of TV!

Ye i get the same ads on XNXX, what i want to know is why i haven't seen that beautiful looking brazilian bird who lives within 1 mile of me around the area that's looking to meet up

What you’re suggesting just sounds like tokenism as opposed to representation. Tokenism and stereotyping don’t do representation of anyone any favours. They might be progressive, but their advertising is still shìt and doesn’t encourage anyone to buy their product. Because at the end of the day that’s what advertising campaigns are about - generating sales. They really don’t give a fcuk who’s actually buying the product.

Thank you for putting the words into my mouth! That's exactly what I was getting at! I used to work in marketing many years ago and the objective was to make sales however you could with the advertising! On a side note, half the team were women and were far more conservative than the men which always surprised me for some reason!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Gay

Gay homosexuals?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Shur they gotta get the pink pound somehow.

I think generally lesbians are more palatable. Most men aren't open about their feelings (gay or straight) so it's harder to work with, and an ad would feel stupid.

Bord na mona did a gay Christmas ad years and years ago where it more or less passed as comical, but progress all the same
    https://youtu.be/DlCjddB1pe8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I stopped watching tv when I realised that it's virtually all political propaganda pushed by groups of people that actually don't give a s**t about any of us.

Not for nothing- I highly recommend doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

LGTV

MrsBean wrote: »
    LGTV

Prefer Samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭thomas 123

DareGod wrote: »
    I stopped watching tv when I realised that it's virtually all political propaganda pushed by groups of people that actually don't give a s**t about any of us.

Yeah what gets me is the constant tv license adverts nestled between the gambling adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yeah what gets me is the constant tv license adverts nestled between the gambling adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Thank you for putting the words into my mouth! That's exactly what I was getting at! I used to work in marketing many years ago and the objective was to make sales however you could with the advertising! On a side note, half the team were women and were far more conservative than the men which always surprised me for some reason!

Well then, is it now a thing in marketing, to advertise to a political demographic, Left, Woke, or otherwise, as a marketing strategy?

No matter what the product or service is, is what I'm getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

AllForIt wrote: »
    Well then, is it now a thing in marketing, to advertise to a political demographic, Left, Woke, or otherwise, as a marketing strategy?

Take a look at the Gillette adverts from the last 2 or so years.
    Selling to men by criticising them, if that's not woke marketing strategy what would it take..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

eyerer wrote: »
    Take a look at the Gillette adverts from the last 2 or so years.
    Selling to men by criticising them, if that's not woke marketing strategy what would it take..

Given up on TV years ago but yeah, I did hear of that Gillette controversy via here. Thanks for pointing out an example of what I was alluding to.

We do live in times where a very loud odd bunch of people, think they can change everything. Just for the sake of it, imo. Weirdos, basically.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »

Any and all of the above. The purpose of marketing is to figure out what you want and sell it to you, or decide what to sell you and figure out a way of making you want it! I once heard someone refer to customers as 'revenue generating units'! If that's not the definition of soulless I don't know what is! It's why I got out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Just another futile attempt to keep the liberal wolf from the door.

You can't turn coverage of a sporting event these days without having to endure some woman tut-tutting about a man's ability or technique.

It all rings hollow unfortunately when you watch the women's version of whatever the sport they're pontificating about.

Chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

The trend is, of course, a positive one but the fact you’ve seen four such ads signals to me that they are not necessarily promoting diversity, they are merely falling all over each other to be seen to be doing so. Strictly speaking, you would have thought that the appearance of gay couples in marketing material would be roughly equal to their prevalence in society as a whole? Seeing four ads in quick succession seems to suggest otherwise. As for that Gillette ad, it was a pathetic excuse to pander not to its mostly male target market, but to those who subscribe to all of the woke cliches that make it ok to denigrate men. With no other societal group would this be acceptable - could you imagine the uproar if women or black people or gay people were the centrepiece of such cynical marketing?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Good thing that you gave up what you consider a dangerous source of political propaganda pushed by people with a particular agenda or slant and then ended up on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

There are lots of other stigmas we could help break with the use of TV ads...

For example, older gentlemen who like to (pray on) date younger women... :D

We should have ads, where 45 year old guys chat up 17 year old girls on their way home from school... they could make it really socially acceptable and cool, breaking down another societal taboo!

Just think how progressive we would all look! :P

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Just another futile attempt to keep the liberal wolf from the door.

You can't turn coverage of a sporting event these days without having to endure some woman tut-tutting about a man's ability or technique.

It all rings hollow unfortunately when you watch the women's version of whatever the sport they're pontificating about.

Chalk and cheese.

So **** that even women don’t want to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

EA2pEMYUIAEcVZ4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Gentlemanne

biko wrote: »
    EA2pEMYUIAEcVZ4.jpg

This is literally a comic by a holocaust denier neo-nazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

This is literally a comic by a holocaust denier neo-nazi

So your typical current affairs/AH poster then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Good bit of latent lust in this thread. Lads, if you're having thoughts about the same sex it's fine. Nothing wrong with it.

Don't be blaming advertising, wokeness and "the liberal agenda" on the fact that it makes you uncomfortable. Just go with it! You be you, no matter what your daddy tried to tell you or what you might try to drill into the minds of your kids because you're bitter.

Advertisement