Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100k cash to invest in property - what and where?

Options
  • 10-07-2015 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

Heres the senario ... A friend wants to invest in property in Ireland. Knows about shares, bonds etc etc. She wants to invest in residential 100k no mortgage. Im thinking Dublin 1 bed / 2 bed apt. Where else would give a good return in residential. She has no dependants.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Heres the senario ... A friend wants to invest in property in Ireland. Knows about shares, bonds etc etc. She wants to invest in residential 100k no mortgage. Im thinking Dublin 1 bed / 2 bed apt. Where else would give a good return in residential. She has no dependants.

Can't think of any part of Dublin she can get a property at that price that would actually rent out? It's a very low budget and with no mortgage interest to write off she'd be fleeced by the tax man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

athtrasna wrote: »
    Can't think of any part of Dublin she can get a property at that price that would actually rent out? It's a very low budget and with no mortgage interest to write off she'd be fleeced by the tax man

In fairness there are a few

http://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/houses-for-sale/?s[mnp]=50000&s[mxp]=100000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In fairness there are a few

http://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/houses-for-sale/?s[mnp]=50000&s[mxp]=100000

The properties exist. My issue was that they may not rent especially easily unless she was to go down the ras route. Also bear in mind management fees for apartments.

athtrasna wrote: »
    The properties exist. My issue was that they may not rent especially easily unless she was to go down the ras route. Also bear in mind management fees for apartments.

True.

How about outside of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It would be a very poor investment decision imo unless she is hoping for a capital gain windfall at some future point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Edke

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It would be a very poor investment decision imo unless she is hoping for a capital gain windfall at some future point.

That's interesting as I am in a situation where I could pay down my current 250k fixed rate mortgage with AIB or try invest 100k in buy-to-let property. My issue is if I don't have a mortgage there's no pressure to save or invest. Buy to let mortgage forces me to curtail spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

Limerick,
    Major shortage of rental stock and only hit bottom last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

Edke wrote:
    That's interesting as I am in a situation where I could pay down my current 250k fixed rate mortgage with AIB or try invest 100k in buy-to-let property. My issue is if I don't have a mortgage there's no pressure to save or invest. Buy to let mortgage forces me to curtail spending.

Paying down your mortgage is a risk and tax free return. You would need to be getting close to 10% returns to compete with that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Maximising pension contributions would be much more tax efficient and much less hassle. You save tax at the higher rate and the gains in the fund are not subject to cgt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Edke

Villa05 wrote: »
    Paying down your mortgage is a risk and tax free return. You would need to be getting close to 10% returns to compete with that

I should have added more details. I'm working abroad and have the property rented. The interest offsets the rental income so I don't get hit with any income tax right now. If I pay down 100k I'll start to take a income tax hit I believe. Not sure if it would be significant.

Edke wrote: »
    I should have added more details. I'm working abroad and have the property rented. The interest offsets the rental income so I don't get hit with any income tax right now. If I pay down 100k I'll start to take a income tax hit I believe. Not sure if it would be significant.

As you're abroad you wont have any personal allowances and you will be hit for income tax, prsi and social charge. You will end up with less than half the gross rental.

If you are in a country with a good dividend or CGT regime, consider shares as these won't be subject to Irish tax (just the local tax which may be less than the irish).

As you're abroad you wont have any personal allowances and you will be hit for income tax, prsi and social charge. You will end up with less than half the gross rental.
    Would be unlikely to pay tax at the marginal rate though. More likely 20% + a couple of % USC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

If you are in a country with a good dividend or CGT regime, consider shares as these won't be subject to Irish tax (just the local tax which may be less than the irish).

No USC if Irish-only income is below the threshold (I believe it's about €11k-€12k).

No PRSI as a non-resident.

Entitled to a percentage of the personal allowance depending on the percentage of your Irish income in relation to your total worldwide income.

Income tax is calculated on the above basis. You then get a credit for Irish tax paid against the tax due in the country in which you reside - assuming it's a country with a double-taxation treaty such as the UK.

Advertisement