Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep Photo Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

jt65 wrote: »
    not great at up loading hope this works

a couple of new arrivals during tne night and the older ones enjoying a brief break in the clouds

Great fat healthy lambs, is there a bit of bleu de Maine in that mother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

not great at up loading hope this works

a couple of new arrivals during tne night and the older ones enjoying a brief break in the clouds

Nice big fat lambs is right, doubles and all...

What breed are they? And what's your feeding regime before lambing?

razor8 wrote: »
    Chat nicely to any of your dairy neighbours, they might give them a home for a few weeks!

Hi Razor,

Nah, twould be hard enough found I think. Dairy lads would be hoping to have their own cows out by day in another few weeks down here.

I think I have found a load o fodder beet this morning. So that should tide me over hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Great fat healthy lambs, is there a bit of bleu de Maine in that mother?

yep,

she's texel X Blue , that's her 7th crop

another pensioner here, these 2 hampshire down tested my lambing skills :D

ewe is suffolk, mostly likely second X from Mayo mule

yep,

she's texel X Blue , that's her 7th crop

another pensioner here, these 2 hampshire down tested my lambing skills :D

ewe is suffolk, mostly likely second X from Mayo mule

Those lambs are very black faced for Hampshire Down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Those lambs are very black faced for Hampshire Down.

if i think of it I'll post them again at 8 weeks , will have different heads then

there were 2 HD and 1 vendeen running with that bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ladies in waiting..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Ladies in waiting..........

are they crash barriers? look a right job, grand airy shed too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, crash barriers. nice rounded surface for them to lean against. The odd ewe lamb might squeeze through by-times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

bump this up a little. First pic is of some April lambers in for Fluke dose, bloody weather still have most to do and also get back in for minerals, vaccinate and scan.... 2nd pic is last January lamb born Saturday night, big ram single 7.5kg lambed herself no bother.

• Advertisement

Cran wrote: »
    bump this up a little. First pic is of some April lambers in for Fluke dose, bloody weather still have most to do and also get back in for minerals, vaccinate and scan.... 2nd pic is last January lamb born Saturday night, big ram single 7.5kg lambed herself no bother.

Big lamb all right...
    Are they the pedigree Charolais that you had lambing early Cran?

Big lamb all right...
    Are they the pedigree Charolais that you had lambing early Cran?

Yes my (expensive) hobby on the farm :D First year lambing ever in January trying to take work from main lambing later in the year.

Been slowly building up for past few years, haven't sold to many as yet and used majority of rams ourselves so far. Don't show but might this year....

Yes my (expensive) hobby on the farm :D First year lambing ever in January trying to take work from main lambing later in the year.

Been slowly building up for past few years, haven't sold to many as yet and used majority of rams ourselves so far. Don't show but might this year....

Ha ha, sure tus good to have hobbies they say :)
    (Especially for a man with so much free time as yourself) :)
    How are they for milk Cran?

Ha ha, sure tus good to have hobbies they say :)
    (Especially for a man with so much free time as yourself) :)
    How are they for milk Cran?

Free time, might call the next stock ram that as a sneer:D

Milk they're mixed tbh as about 70% are bought ewes, some are brillant others not so but its amazing how quickly you get ride of the bad milkers and pick a ewe family to keep lambs off. No matter how well bred a ewe if she doesn't have milk lambs wouldn't perform without intervention.
    I was lucky in the first stock ram I bought was proven 5 year old who produced fantastic females, really seeing the proof in the lambs his daughters are producing.

few things learnt since started the pedigrees I've learned,
    1. Know your breeder & set-up when buying rams, from being involved in conversations & seeing other flocks I now see how much pampering alot of these sheep get (not all though only some).
    2. I've moved from a Ram purchaser / admirer to being more focused on my ewes. Rams are a once a year purchase real flock progress is in the ewes, and have applied this to my commercials as well.
    3. Trust my instinct & commercial farmers knowledge more than many other breeders tell you, loads have never read a real kill sheet for factory lambs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Milk they're mixed tbh as about 70% are bought ewes, some are brillant others not so but its amazing how quickly you get ride of the bad milkers and pick a ewe family to keep lambs off. No matter how well bred a ewe if she doesn't have milk lambs wouldn't perform without intervention.
    I was lucky in the first stock ram I bought was proven 5 year old who produced fantastic females, really seeing the proof in the lambs his daughters are producing.

1. Know your breeder & set-up when buying rams, from being involved in conversations & seeing other flocks I now see how much pampering alot of these sheep get (not all though only some).
    2. I've moved from a Ram purchaser / admirer to being more focused on my ewes. Rams are a once a year purchase real flock progress is in the ewes, and have applied this to my commercials as well.
    3. Trust my instinct & commercial farmers knowledge more than many other breeders tell you, loads have never read a real kill sheet for factory lambs.

I never buy pedigree ewes here, they're always being sold for a reason...very few breeders sell their best except in a clearance.
    Agree with point three, the true test of your breeding is in your commercials

rancher wrote: »
    I never buy pedigree ewes here, they're always being sold for a reason...very few breeders sell their best except in a clearance.

Agree with this, buying ewes is not what I mean its more focused on breeding the ones I want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

On guard at the gate :)

124.jpg

Last couple of early lambers in their temp home till the weather takes up abit and i can get lambs out

118.jpg

new addition to lambing pens, bought sh and modified to fit the gates, hopefully be less waste

121.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

100%
    all sheep should be commercial,some may be pure bred .
    a ram may be a once off purchase but good or bad his influence in a flock can go on for generations.
    the old adage of him being half the flock only applies to where his progney are all sold,in a flock where replacements are retained he is far more influential,a ram that gets highly productive females is the making of a flock.the bugger is often a good age before you realise how good he is fortunatly ai and semen freezing is available now.

also don't be afraid of line breeding if the sheep is good keep the genetics....worth more than showring acolades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Some of the ewes waiting to be scanned today. They were quiet content to be in out of the weather today.

sea12 wrote: »
    Some of the ewes waiting to be scanned today. They were quiet content to be in out of the weather today.

Lovely looking ewes, look to be in fine shape as well. More black faces than I expected sea ;)

• Advertisement

Some of the ewes munching away. There going through hay at a fine rate. Will start feeding meal next week on

Lovely looking ewes, look to be in fine shape as well. More black faces than I expected sea ;)

Thanks john. Yea it's about 50 % Suffolk ewes which were with a Charolais ram and then a Charolais Texal cross ewe crossed with a Suffolk ram.

Some of the ewes munching away. There going through hay at a fine rate. Will start feeding meal next week on

Nice set up razor. Do u feed the hay the same as silage? I find they waste a good bit that way myself so tend to keep it in the round feeders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Nice set up rancher. Do u feed the hay the same as silage? I find they waste a good bit that way myself so tend to keep it in the round feeders.

When Dad used to house sheep we would feed hay in the walkways between pens like that. We found that finer short hay was best as if you got longer hay the ewes would drag it into the pen and walk on it, which meant a lot of waste.

I see a lot of hay feeders with 4 inch meshes which also waste a lot of hay. Often wondered about those bale cradles I see on Donedeal whether they'd be any good or not.

Nice set up rancher. Do u feed the hay the same as silage? I find they waste a good bit that way myself so tend to keep it in the round feeders.

hope rancher doesnt mind you thinking my sheep are his lleyns!!

i actually find the opposite, in the walk through troughs there is a good lip to hold hay/silage in, the sheep get there head in and stay there till full, i have nearly zero waste and throw in what they dont eat every other evening

i have another shed with round feeders and find they waste alot especially when a new bale is introduced, i actually bought on rectangular feeder that is wider than the bale and it seems to be better than the standard round feeder.

one big advantage of the feeder is that you dont have to crape every morning and evening unlike the troughs so what you gain one way you lose the other.

Hay is so much easier to work with, not easy firing wet silage up them troughs, missus is happier too as i dont be bringing the smell of silage into the house!

hope rancher doesnt mind you thinking my sheep are his lleyns!!

i actually find the opposite, in the walk through troughs there is a good lip to hold hay/silage in, the sheep get there head in and stay there till full, i have nearly zero waste and throw in what they dont eat every other evening

i have another shed with round feeders and find they waste alot especially when a new bale is introduced, i actually bought on rectangular feeder that is wider than the bale and it seems to be better than the standard round feeder.

one big advantage of the feeder is that you dont have to crape every morning and evening unlike the troughs so what you gain one way you lose the other.

Hay is so much easier to work with, not easy firing wet silage up them troughs, missus is happier too as i dont be bringing the smell of silage into the house!

Ah yes I just copped wrong name there now. I never find that much waste with the round feeders myself.

On another note. What's the story with all the different colours?

Ah yes I just copped wrong name there now. I never find that much waste with the round feeders myself.

On another note. What's the story with all the different colours?

Scanner was feeling artistic!

Due the 1st March, hope the weather changes
    These are the doubles, inlamb to Lleyn
    On straw plus 1lb meal since 10th dec
    2014-02-02 10.26.57.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wooly Admirer

rancher wrote: »
    Due the 1st March, hope the weather changes
    These are the doubles, inlamb to Lleyn
    On straw plus 1lb meal since 10th dec
    2014-02-02 10.26.57.jpg

How do ye feed the meal Rancher? Are ye lifting troughs into the pens?

• Advertisement

How do ye feed the meal Rancher? Are ye lifting troughs into the pens?

The straw is in walkthrough troughs, they get their meal before the straw, they'll have that eaten/spread by evening, I'll be feeding twice a day from tomarrow and building the doubles up to 2 lbs/day in the next few days

Advertisement