Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The killing of elderly patiens with anti psychotics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Well done SLUSK, I nearly thought you were going to start another thread asking for a blanket apology. See also:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8490937.stm
    Fish oil supplements 'beat psychotic mental illness'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

:eek::eek::eek: medications have side-effects

but we already knew this

and side-effects are not exclusive to psychiatric drugs

paracetamol at a therapeutic dose can kill as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

So 23000 dead elderly dementia patients a year is acceptable because overmedication happens in regular medicine as well?

now, where did i say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

sam34 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: medications have side-effects

but we already knew this

and side-effects are not exclusive to psychiatric drugs

paracetamol at a therapeutic dose can kill as well

Sam, though I am more than a little appalled to find myself (fleetingly) on the same side of a debate as slusk, I don't think what you have written above addresses the actual merits of the issues as raised by last year's Telegraph article and others that appeared like it in the popular press.

Effectively, your responses appear to be countering a different argument ("psychiatric drugs and psychiatry are all bad") than the one raised by the article ("some current psychiatric prescriptive practices may be inappropriate and the use of some psychiatric medications in certain circumstances may be placing some patients at excessive risk of adverse neurological sequelae and/or early death.)

Also, although Slusk's strident tone might provoke a reaction in anyone, I think it's a bit flippant to dismiss the substantive issue raised by using generalised, non-specific arguments that defend the use of psychiatric medication, thereby attempting to place the argument beyond the realm of reasoned discussion.

There is genuine, peer-reveiwed debate within and without psychiatry about the use of antipsychotics with elderly patients. ( See this article and this one and this one for a flavour of the complexities of the issues.

There is also some qualified support for the continued, albeit more nuanced use of antipsychotics in Alzheimers, something which deserves to be highlighted, particlarly for those relatives of patients who read and are distressed by negative reports in the media, or anti-psychiatry posts on forums such as this, and don't know how to differentiate the headline from the data.

There are costs and benefits to using antipsychotics with the elderly, not least the lack of viable alternative pharmacological approaches, but as this is a psychology forum, perhaps we should be looking at the issue in a broader sense. Antipsychotics are often used in Alzheimer's to manage disruptive behaviour. Using a well-designed functional analysis and careful implementation of behavioural management strategies in order to understand and intervene with challenging behaviour can be a very effective adjunctive, or indeed, alternative approach that can reduce the need for antipsychotics. This article and this one give some idea of how this can be done.

Ultimately, I think the issue deserves to be debated based on evidence and continuing developments in psychiatric and gerontology practice rather than on ideological grounds.

Edit:
    Was looking for this article last night but only found it today - certainly the most rigorous review of non-pharmacological approaches in Azheimer's that I have come across. As usual, some promising findings but more research required....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Gibs, it's a shame you don't post here more often!

Gibs, I am an old age psychiatrist, so I am hugely aware of the issues around anti-psychotic prescribing in demented patients, it's something I deal with every single working day, and it's something I have carried out some (small) research studies on.

I don't engage with slusk, for a variety of reasons.

however, the sensationalist way (s)he posted, almost implying that it's a deliberate ploy to kill these people, was what spurred me to react in an admittedly flippant way.

it is patently obvious from his/her posts that (s)he has no idea what serious mental illness actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

sam34 wrote: »
    it is patently obvious from his/her posts that (s)he has no idea what serious mental illness actually is.

Agreed:)

Thanks also for the clarification re your role.

Advertisement