Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Mutants

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Disney+ is a service designed entirely for children and families. Everything on it is ‘family friendly’ - even with Hamilton, their biggest release yet, they cut out two of three ‘****s’ so it’d still be PG-13. You won’t be seeing anything like Logan or Deadpool on it unless there’s a massive, fundamental change in how they’re approaching the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I assumed they would just use Disney+ for the more kid friendly ones and Hulu for the less kid friendly ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hulu is due to expand worldwide over the next two years however like HBO Max doing the same I wonder will ongoing deals with Sky here effect that expansion arriving here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Disney had form enough with their own old stuff and the practice of "vaulting" classics to cause demand or scarcity. Would simply assume the same tactic will be applied to their Disney+ stable TBH....

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't seriously believe any major release will hit cinemas in the next 3 months. America has exploded in cases and spiralling out of control, studios would be mad to put anything into cinemas ATM.

The possibility has been raised that international releases might start occurring before the US. Definitely see an uptick in same day online releases too.

• Advertisement

Has any completed or near completed film that has had a delay like this or longer done well at the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The Cabin in the Woods springs to mind

Another new trailer.

I think they might be secretly releasing the film in trailer form there are so may trailers now.

The first two minutes trailer.

Just waiting for the supercut with them all together in possible order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the 6th New Mutant - Trailer Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

At this stage I think everyone knows the plot and storyline off by heart lol.

Does look good regardless but just release the bloody thing.

AFAIK they still haven't actually shown Wolfsbane which is odd.

Apparently they're contractually obliged to release this one in theatres. So release any time soon in them is likely a loss maker.

I think I only watched the first trailer or 2 as this is one I do plan on seeing.

If the delays go on any longer, it or any possible sequel will have to just be titled The Mutants

The last trailer before it hits the US cinemas next Friday.

Ah a decent shot of Lockheed at last :D

Thought Yana had her horns there at the start :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So apparently Disney won't be sending screeners to outlets for review; professional reviews will have to be via a visit to the cinema. A tactic that's not generally considered a stirring endorsement from the studio. At least, this is what's claimed here:

https://film.avclub.com/the-new-mutants-finally-opens-this-week-here-s-why-we-1844833667
    [...]
    A few days ago, we reached out to Disney and were informed by representatives of the studio that they would not be providing press with either an advance screening of the film or a digital review link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It wouldn't be the first case of a studio being aware of a turkey in their hands, yet it never stopped them from providing critics with advanced screenings.

TBH I'm stuck in two minds between poor form on Disney's part, and being dubious towards some of these outlets refusing to review.

I'd need to know more. I'd assume Disney have not applied this decision to all critics, but rather have applied it to reviewers on the fringe such as Indiewire and AV Club. If that's the case I wouldn't be absolutely against it, as the art has become a bit lost in recent years.

To be frank if these sites want their content to be valued they can get up off their arse and brave the cinema visit just like the rest of us. In the grand scheme of things their opinion isn't that important.

It finally released!

Though reviews aren't too positive. By that I mean 23% on RT

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It finally released!

Though reviews aren't too positive. By that I mean 23% on RT

Disney's refusal to provide screeners or properly safely-distanced preview screenings has probably helped ensure that the first few days of reviews are middling at best.

I wanted this to be good, not least because the cast is good and the premise could be decently different to a lot of other superhero stuff, but all indications are that it's another muddled, middling X-men film :/

• Advertisement

The reviews I've read so far have expressed confusion over why it was so long delayed in the first place; that rather being the turkey the reshoots and critic blocking implied, it's a perfectly ok, middling movie.

Didn't they deny the reshoots were a thing?
    And the delays were due to clashes and mergers and pandemics

• Registered Users Posts: 31,836 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am tempted to go and see this Sunday in cibeworld on Parnell but every showing it greyed out....it can't be sold out surely?

Some reviewers in the States have declined to review after watching it.

Ouch.

Can we talk about it yet? Has anyone else seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭RodVelvet

Seen it this evening, Underwhelming is how I would describe it. Can't understand why this kept getting delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw it yesterday and it's a stone cold turkey. It looks cheap, like it was made for peanuts(although the budget was apparently $70million). The acting is very wooden, they've thrown in a lesbian story arc for what reason I dont know, and the dialogue is painful to listen to. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

santana75 wrote: »
    Saw it yesterday and it's a stone cold turkey. It looks cheap, like it was made for peanuts(although the budget was apparently $70million). The acting is very wooden, they've thrown in a lesbian story arc for what reason I dont know, and the dialogue is painful to listen to. Avoid.

It takes a lot for me to want to walk out of the cinema, honestly don’t know if I’ve ever done it. Usually I see it as a cinema experience ( Nice to be out) and I sort of want to see if the movie improves or remains consistently awful.

I was ready to walk out of that movie. The nearest closest awful comparison I can remember was the twilight movie with the wedding. That ended up being funny it was so bad, fair few people walked out on that.

But this was just god awful. Asides from the scary looking lad at the end it has no redeemable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah a decent shot of Lockheed at last :D

Thought Yana had her horns there at the start :(

Starting to think about going back to the cinema and this might be the first film in at least 6 months I will have seen in one. I did not realise what it was about untill today and am excited about it now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Just saw this today. It's ****e to be honest. Very formulaic. Feels like the intended audience are teenagers but written by adults who don't know how to write for younger generation. Wikipedia says the budget was $67-80m. Where did the money go? The entire film takes place in one location. It was ****ing tedious.

It might have worked as a mini-series with more character development and less CGI but what do I know.

Advertisement