Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep turnover crate, foot bath & TAMS

• 06-12-2019 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Thinking of buying sheep turnover crate, foot bath and some penning under TAMS. Which turnover crate is the least physical to operate? Been told that O’Donnell Engineering’s one doesn’t take a lot of physical effort which would suit me, not getting any younger. Downside, been told that it is very heavy to move around and that I should get one with wheels. Any advice welcome. Is 40 sheep the minimum number for TAMS and are lambs and ram eligible? Don’t want to spend more than €2000 which is the minimum spend under TAMS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

What will you use turnover grate for?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Thinking of buying sheep turnover crate, foot bath and some penning under TAMS. Which turnover crate is the least physical to operate? Been told that O’Donnell Engineering’s one doesn’t take a lot of physical effort which would suit me, not getting any younger. Downside, been told that it is very heavy to move around and that I should get one with wheels. Any advice welcome. Is 40 sheep the minimum number for TAMS and are lambs and ram eligible? Don’t want to spend more than €2000 which is the minimum spend under TAMS

2000 is minimum to get approval. Oncev approved you can spend and claim for any amount under 2000. So for example you could just buy the footbath for 300 and claim for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭countyhouse

razor8 wrote: »
    What will you use turnover grate for?

Dealing with foot rot etc, texel ewes heavy for me at this stage

foxirl wrote: »
    2000 is minimum to get approval. Oncev approved you can spend and claim for any amount under 2000. So for example you could just buy the footbath for 300 and claim for that.

I thought I would have to purchase equipment exceeding €2000! This is much better now if what you say is correct. Did you have experience of this yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

Dealing with foot rot etc, texel ewes heavy for me at this stage

You should not have to turn up a ewe if you have a foot bath and a regular routine of doi them in it.

• Advertisement

I thought I would have to purchase equipment exceeding €2000! This is much better now if what you say is correct. Did you have experience of this yourself?

I can confirm I claimed for less than 2000 and got paid. Think they changed the rules at some stage to get the money pushed our. You still need to put in an application for over 2k. You just don't claim it all one approved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭memorystick

Do store lambs count or does it have to be breeding stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Under TAMS what % of cost do you get back in grant?......

for eg just say if the OP spent €2000 on rollover crate,penning and foot bath area for example how much of the €2000 would he get back once work completed and grant approved.

Under TAMS what % of cost do you get back in grant?......

for eg just say if the OP spent €2000 on rollover crate,penning and foot bath area for example how much of the €2000 would he get back once work completed and grant approved.

If he spent 2000 then out of that 374 is vat which he can't reclaim. So he can reclaim 60% or 40% of the remaining 1626 depending on if he is a qualified young farmer or not.

Depending on what he is buying he may or may not be able to reclaim the full vat amount from the revenue

Vat can usually be reclaimed on items which are fixed to the ground, e.g. Fencing

Is 40 the number of ewes to be eligible for tams?
    Can lambs born March 2019 be included to make up the number. I assume I cannot include ram!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Is 40 the number of ewes to be eligible for tams?
    Can lambs born March 2019 be included to make up the number. I assume I cannot include ram!!

Weaned lambs or older of either sex , average of 40 upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭DJ98

Just after applying to tams for mobile equipment (penning, scales and adoption fronts), do I go buy the equipment now or have I do wait to get approval or how does this work? Also how long does it take to get approval

DJ98 wrote: »
    Just after applying to tams for mobile equipment (penning, scales and adoption fronts), do I go buy the equipment now or have I do wait to get approval or how does this work? Also how long does it take to get approval

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

You've to wait for approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Sami23

For mobile equipment like that you can go ahead and purchase straight away after submitting your application.

Sami23 wrote: »
    For mobile equipment like that you can go ahead and purchase straight away after submitting your application.

How would you be certain that you will receive the grant?

How would you be certain that you will receive the grant?

That's the chance you have to take I'm afraid but if you keep your costs under the reference costs you should be fine. Or else decide if you can wait to purchase the items after you get approval. If you did without them up to now whats another few months.
    I bought a sheep scales myself the week after submitting my application after getting confirmation from the dept. that it was ok to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭k mac

Is there a minimum stocking rate to be eligible for TAMS, like the fencing grant required 50 sheep

k mac wrote: »
    Is there a minimum stocking rate to be eligible for TAMS, like the fencing grant required 50 sheep

No that only applies to the sheep fencing

Advertisement