Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree Suffolk Ram throwing up the cud

Options
  • 04-08-2020 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

I bought a pedigree Suffolk ram from a Donegal breeder last year and put him with the best of my flock. After I removed him from the ewes I noticed he was throwing up the cud. His lambs are also doing this. When I wean the lambs is it likely that they will stop thriving. I presume that I will need to factory all his ewe lambs ? Have any of you ever bought a ram with this disorder ? Is it associated with any particular breed ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

brownswiss wrote: »
    I bought a pedigree Suffolk ram from a Donegal breeder last year and put him with the best of my flock. After I removed him from the ewes I noticed he was throwing up the cud. His lambs are also doing this. When I wean the lambs is it likely that they will stop thriving. I presume that I will need to factory all his ewe lambs ? Have any of you ever bought a ram with this disorder ? Is it associated with any particular breed ?

Thanks

What do you throwing up the cud?

Is it just leaking out of their mouths, which would point more to a mouth or jaw issue or are they actually vomiting up cud?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

What do you throwing up the cud?

Is it just leaking out of their mouths, which would point more to a mouth or jaw issue or are they actually vomiting up cud?
    If he is lying down in the yard there will be a big pool of green slobber around him or if he was in a pen with others he would have their backs covered with green stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Is he thin or thriving?

razor8 wrote: »
    Is he thin or thriving?

He is not thriving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,647 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Was he on heavy covers??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He is not thriving

If you run your fingers along the outside of his jaw over his teeth on either side, do you feel any swelling or teeth out of line?

Is he a young ram, 2 or 3 yo or an older ram?

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Was he on heavy covers??

Yes

If you run your fingers along the outside of his jaw over his teeth on either side, do you feel any swelling or teeth out of line?

Is he a young ram, 2 or 3 yo or an older ram?

Yes . He was born in January 2019 . I bought him at the end of October and turned him out with the ewes immediately. A lot of his lambs are doing it also but not as bad.

Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yes . He was born in January 2019 . I bought him at the end of October and turned him out with the ewes immediately. A lot of his lambs are doing it also but not as bad.

Thanks for the replies

We had something similar in a ewe a good few years ago and she had an abscess under a tooth and was grand after a course of antibiotics. A cow as well dropping the cud but she was old.

It's a strange one with his lambs doing it as well, though:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,647 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yes

Always find problems when they are left any lenght of time on such covers ie. reflux, worm, scour issues etc.

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Always find problems when they are left any lenght of time on such covers ie. reflux, worm, scour issues etc.

His progeny are also doing it and they are not on heavy covers so I think it is genetic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

I would of said you were the victim of a overfed ram and his stomach hadnt developed to deal with eating grass instead of eating out of a trough.
    But if his lambs has it I would get him checked with a vet. Some meal might help him but I would be getting rid of him first chance I’d get

Advertisement