Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milford Sheep Breed

Options
  • 03-07-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Anyone have any idea of the breeding (crossing) behind the milford sheep breed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

Very difficult to find this out. I think there is scotch and leicester breeding in there somewhere. Being bred pure in Donegal. Lovely sharp heads. Have milford rams here. Great to put sharpness into lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dunnacoirbe50

Being bread straight in donegal for years but must have been a few crosses to get them originally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Yea as far as I know its Leicester x horned then suffolk used on that cross and the lambs off that would leave u a milford? Supposed till be very hungry big sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dunnacoirbe50

Lambman wrote: »
    Yea as far as I know its Leicester x horned then suffolk used on that cross and the lambs off that would leave u a milford? Supposed till be very hungry big sheep.

Would it be the blue or the boarder that would be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tomc21

There is no such thing as as a pedigree milford sheep they are a cross of Scottish blackface and blue and border lecister ram their lambs are crossed with Suffolk or a Suffolk cross ram i know this as i am from the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭kk.man

They are beautiful looking sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Can I ask why is sharpness a good trait in sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Sharpness of head i assume you mean? I would say its purely cosmetic but if a man is going to be looking at them twice a day he should like the look of them

Advertisement