Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat/general discussion thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

There is no home video version of the Ocean or Blue Water dubs, which were only broadcast in the UK and Canada, there is also no uncut version available unlike the Funimation version. This would make it a hell of a lot more expensive to produce.

They were also broadcast in the Netherlands, Bridge Entertainment also released the first 8 episodes of the 1996 Funimation dub featuring the Ocean cast, but sadly the alternate dubs with the Canadian cast have never had a home release. I do think there would be a market for them, the Rock the Dragon collection is highly sought after, despite being edited and dub only. A box set for the Canada/Europe exclusive Ocean dubs would have a similar collectors' appeal. Prior to deactivating his Twitter account, Jerome Mazandarani asked a fan to let him know when/if that content becomes available in the US, so I think he is aware of the interest in the dubs that aired here, he's just wary of the cost of it all between negotiations with AB/Mediawan and authoring new DVD sets.
    Also don't forget that as of last summer Manga Entertainment is a subsidiary of Funimation.

I have a contact who knows the staff at Manga UK and he has confirmed to me that Funimation don't care what Manga UK do now as all the profits go back to them.
    As for them being an import company the only dubs that Manga UK have created since the 90s are GitS: Innocence and Millennium Actress. Anime Limited have regularly commissioned dubs for movies they have the rights to through Bang Zoom and NYAV such as for Mai Mai Miracle and A Silent Voice. There's no profit in dubbing anymore either as the dub becomes the property of the production committee upon the costs being recouped.

I don't think Manga UK need to do their own dubs. My point about them being an import company is that their releases tend to be repackages of other companies (most notably Funimation and Madman) releases. Although their Super Broly Blu-Ray was authored by Visual Data London, so I am hoping if we get more original releases from them (like releases of Canadian DB dubs) in the future they could be outsourced there. That said I'm not holding my breath for a release like that, unless they could be persuaded the profit margin would be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

UI_Paddy wrote: »
    They were also broadcast in the Netherlands, Bridge Entertainment also released the first 8 episodes of the 1996 Funimation dub featuring the Ocean cast, but sadly the alternate dubs with the Canadian cast have never had a home release. I do think there would be a market for them, the Rock the Dragon collection is highly sought after, despite being edited and dub only. A box set for the Canada/Europe exclusive Ocean dubs would have a similar collectors' appeal. Prior to deactivating his Twitter account, Jerome Mazandarani asked a fan to let him know when/if that content becomes available in the US, so I think he is aware of the interest in the dubs that aired here, he's just wary of the cost of it all between negotiations with AB/Mediawan and authoring new DVD sets.

I have a contact who knows the staff at Manga UK and he has confirmed to me that Funimation don't care what Manga UK do now as all the profits go back to them.

I don't think Manga UK need to do their own dubs. My point about them being an import company is that their releases tend to be repackages of other companies (most notably Funimation and Madman) releases. Although their Super Broly Blu-Ray was authored by Visual Data London, so I am hoping if we get more original releases from them (like releases of Canadian DB dubs) in the future they could be outsourced there. That said I'm not holding my breath for a release like that, unless they could be persuaded the profit margin would be significant.

Thankfully that was authored here, the Funimation version of DBS Broly has a green tint for the entire movie. TBH though most of the discs that Manga have authored have significant issues with Psycho Pass and Attack on Titan S1 being particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Ahh, the new Ghost in the Shell is only the first half of the story and it stops on a bit of a cliffhanger. If anyone else is thinking of watching it I'd wait until part two is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Kyoto animation arsonist/murder is deemed fit to stand trial so hopefully ****er get's hanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Varik wrote: »
    The Kyoto animation arsonist/murder is deemed fit to stand trial so hopefully ****er get's hanged.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/27/kyoto-animation-arson-suspect-arrested-shinji-aoba-burns

He cant walk or eat without assistance so they may not hang him. He is pretty ****ed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hopefully they don't, that's a far worse fate for him,hopefully he'll have to live the rest of his days like that and is haunted about what he did everyday, scumbag.

Hopefully they don't, that's a far worse fate for him,hopefully he'll have to live the rest of his days like that and is haunted about what he did everyday, scumbag.

The way Japan have it probably not. He'd be on death row for a decade or more
    in practically solitary confinement never knowing if it was his last day or not and family won't even be told until after the fact they just get his stuff handed over one day and told he's dead.

If someone did that in the first place I don't think they'd be the type who'd be haunted by it.

In practice, the typical stay on death row is between five and seven years; a quarter of the prisoners have been on death row for over ten years. For several, the stay has been over 30 years (Sadamichi Hirasawa died of natural causes at the age of 95, after awaiting execution for 32 years).

You'd wake up every morning and never know if that was your last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Trailer for final season of Attack on Titan. Looks like the crazy stakes have been raised.
    Titan with a fortress on his back

ScreenAnime has switched their monthly films. New lineup is Weathering With You, Your Name, Anthem of the Heart and Fireworks, with Silver Spoon S1 as the streamed series.

love Silver Spoon, manga ended recently enough.

• Advertisement

Kissanime died the other day and today I heard about some of the bigger anime publishers, including Kodansha and Toei, teaming up to put their shows on Youtube officially. Japan/Asia only at the minute but they are planning to do English and Chinese subtitles.

EDIT: The channel is called AnimeLog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Evade wrote: »
    Kissanime died the other day and today I heard about some of the bigger anime publishers, including Kodansha and Toei, teaming up to put their shows on Youtube officially. Japan/Asia only at the minute but they are planning to do English and Chinese subtitles.

EDIT: The channel is called AnimeLog

They tried stuff like this before and found it hard to get off the ground. It think it was called Daisuki? You can bet that most new shows will be one subscription services.

megaten wrote: »
    They tried stuff like this before and found it hard to get off the ground. It think it was called Daisuki? You can bet that most new shows will be one subscription services.

BUt I will bet this new service wont be for new simulcasts, but mainly for forgotten stuff from the 70s/80s sitting in Toeis library that no streaming platform will bother licensing, nor TV station would waste air-time to show.

I could see it doing simulcasts too. It's not an awful lot more expensive to subtitle an episode of something, in one or two languages, if you're already going to stream it.

I could see it doing simulcasts too. It's not an awful lot more expensive to subtitle an episode of something, in one or two languages, if you're already going to stream it.

Going rate to translate an episode into English is US$160, except Crunchyroll who pay half that and don't allow translation credits(CR is a really sh**y company to work for as a translator).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Just started following SAO about 6 weeks ago..if like me you had your doubts.. Keep going.. Alicization war of the underworld is absolutely phenomenal.. One of the best series I've watched!

I watched the first few episodes of Alicization week to week when it came out and found it very slow. I only got as far as Kirito and palette swap Kirito leaving the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I watched the first few episodes of Alicization week to week when it came out and found it very slow. I only got as far as Kirito and palette swap Kirito leaving the village.

Yeah to be fair it's very slow paced in the first half of the season but once they leave it kicks in a gear

I might watch the whole thing once it's over.

Crunchyroll just added offline viewing with a new tier of membership, unfortunately they have changed the annual sub to this tier jacking the price from €39.99 to €64.99 per year in Ireland.

A steep increase, but still significantly cheaper than the £79.99 the UK now has to pay.

524145.jpg

• Advertisement

25 seconds in on the "whoa" part it reminds me of something, anyone have any ideas. It might be a song or op/ed to something else, pretty sure whatever it was was in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Varik wrote: »
    25 seconds in on the "whoa" part it reminds me of something, anyone have any ideas. It might be a song or op/ed to something else, pretty sure whatever it was was in English.

Sounds like one of those songs by Coldplay or those types. I can hear the song, but I don't like that kind of music so it's not coming to me. Speed of sound maybe? Not sure. Edit: Kings of Leon - Use Somebody?!

Finished up the latest season of Seven Deadly Sins. My niece mentioned it's getting bad reviews because the studio changed hands, and I didn't feel that until the 4th or 5th episode, where I feel like it suddenly took a drop in quality, voice acting and story. I felt like it was rushing through scenes, and just didn't have the 'feel' of SDS any more. Good stories, overall not a bad season, but not a patch on the first few seasons, unfortunately. I see there's a petition to get it back to the original studio... Damage done at this stage I reckon, unless they re-do the latest season and re-release it. Shame.

Sounds like one of those songs by Coldplay or those types. I can hear the song, but I don't like that kind of music so it's not coming to me. Speed of sound maybe? Not sure. Edit: Kings of Leon - Use Somebody?!

Finished up the latest season of Seven Deadly Sins. My niece mentioned it's getting bad reviews because the studio changed hands, and I didn't feel that until the 4th or 5th episode, where I feel like it suddenly took a drop in quality, voice acting and story. I felt like it was rushing through scenes, and just didn't have the 'feel' of SDS any more. Good stories, overall not a bad season, but not a patch on the first few seasons, unfortunately. I see there's a petition to get it back to the original studio... Damage done at this stage I reckon, unless they re-do the latest season and re-release it. Shame.

Studio Deen, they're notorious for really bad animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They must be the cheapest on the block so. Would have thought Netflix would be able to inject some money into it. I've checked a list of what they've been involved in, and the only other one I recognise is Fate/Stay Night. Can't recall if I watched that one.

Googled Studio Deen and TIL there's a new Log Horizon coming.

They must be the cheapest on the block so. Would have thought Netflix would be able to inject some money into it. I've checked a list of what they've been involved in, and the only other one I recognise is Fate/Stay Night. Can't recall if I watched that one.

They did season 2 of Log Horizon as Varik stated and season 2 of Konosuba.

They did both seasons of Konusuba, didn't they?

They did both seasons of Konusuba, didn't they?

Seems so, I thought JC Staff did S1 as well as the movie.

Seems like SAO: Progressive is getting an anime adaptation.

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1307340420477669377?s=20

This covers the original Aincrad arc in far, far more detail.

• Advertisement

2 months free Funimation premium for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/29/coming-soon-xbox-game-pass-october-2020/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
    Funimation (Launched September 25; Available in US/CA/UK/IR)
    Try Premium Plus for 2 months free, and you’ll get access to all of My Hero Academia, Black Clover, and tons more anime you’ve been missing. Ad-free, subs & dubs, Download to Go, and so much more!

Advertisement