Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Corrib Oughterard end of August

Options
  • 17-06-2020 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hello, I will be in Oughterard at the end of August and I’m planning to fish the Corrib. I am wondering if the ghillie will be working by then and if not il lousy hire a boat and engine but I’d imagine the guide would be the best option as I’m new to the lake. Any tips if I am going the hired boat option?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Guides will still be working, August can be a good month.
    Try Tom Doc Sullivan, Basil Shields or Larry McCarthy, you’ll find their details easy enough with a google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Try Tom Doc Sullivan, Basil Shields or Larry McCarthy, you’ll find their details easy enough with a google search.

Thank you ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bogwoppit wrote: »

Of those Basil is the only one based near Oughterard. I've fished with him and can highly recommend him. Kevin Molloy, Patrick Molloy and Gerry Molloy are also well-known and highly recommended guides in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Basil would normally be well booked up, but with covid 19 he probably has a few dates

Basil would normally be well booked up, but with covid 19 he probably has a few dates

Thank you! I will give him a ring and see if he has any dates

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Of those Basil is the only one based near Oughterard. I've fished with him and can highly recommend him. Kevin Molloy, Patrick Molloy and Gerry Molloy are also well-known and highly recommended guides in that area.

Thanks Zzippy, I emailed Kevin last week and still awaiting a reply so I might give him a ring. Let’s say I wasn’t to get a guide and I just hired a boat (I fish from a boat in a different lake all the time) would this not be recommended or does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    Thanks Zzippy, I emailed Kevin last week and still awaiting a reply so I might give him a ring. Let’s say I wasn’t to get a guide and I just hired a boat (I fish from a boat in a different lake all the time) would this not be recommended or does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance

Two reasons to hire a guide: 1. You get shown the lake by someone who knows all the best spots and you're not wasting time fishing dead water and 2. You don't drive the boat into a rock you might have known was there if you'd hired a guide and watched where he didn't bring you.

Hire a guide for at least the first day or two to get the benefit of their experience, and get to know where not to go. After that just hire a boat and take your chances yourself. In my experience money spent on a guide is rarely wasted.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Two reasons to hire a guide: 1. You get shown the lake by someone who knows all the best spots and you're not wasting time fishing dead water and 2. You don't drive the boat into a rock you might have known was there if you'd hired a guide and watched where he didn't bring you.

Hire a guide for at least the first day or two to get the benefit of their experience, and get to know where not to go. After that just hire a boat and take your chances yourself. In my experience money spent on a guide is rarely wasted.

Perfect thank you Zzippy, you’re very helpful

What tackle would ye all recommend?

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    What tackle would ye all recommend?

For wet fly fishing a 6 or 7 weight rod, depends on your preference. Might need a few lines to cover every situation from floating line for surface fishing, intermediate/midge too for sub surface to fast sink lines for daphnia fishing the deeps. If fishing dry fly a 5/6 wt, again depends what you like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement