Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IP address

• 19-05-2020 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

Hi all. I made a fake Facebook account to expose a girl i know that was cheating on her bf. I started messaging some of her friends to see if they would back me up. The girl (cheater) messaged me saying she had my IP address and was contacting the guards. I didn’t bully her so do you guys think the guards will do anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

She probably do not have your IP.
    Tbh, to create a FB account and message her friends seem pretty low.
    Confront her face-to-face or leave it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Hi all. I made a fake Facebook account to expose a girl i know that was cheating on her bf. I started messaging some of her friends to see if they would back me up. The girl (cheater) messaged me saying she had my IP address and was contacting the guards. I didn’t bully her so do you guys think the guards will do anything?

Helpful tip - you should probably mind your own business and stop the snakery.

Yeah just shop her and be done with it. She deserves it anyway so no need to hide. She almost definitely does not have your IP address though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is what happens when children are left use the internet unsupervised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

weirdo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Find yourself a hobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I made a fake Facebook account to expose a girl
    I didn’t bully her

?

To answer your question though, no, she does not have your IP address but she can initiate a complaint to both Facebook (Who may decide to remove your profile) and the Gardai (Who are extremely unlikely to pursue it but it should be noted, do have the powers to do so)

Make another fake profile pretending to be the IP address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Burn the internet down. If that fails....piss...handbag....you know the drill

OP go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why would she even need your IP address now when she knows who you are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

She doesnt have your IP address but somehow managed to figure out youre the one spreading rumours, that alone says enough about you. Is this sort of behaviour the norm for you?
    Youre lucky she is only threatening to go to the gaurds. Id suggest you use your time to focus on other things and stop minding other peoples business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Who are you, the Boyfriend Police?

If she's YOUR girlfriend, have the row, break it off, or whatever you both decide to do.

If she's not, then how is this any of your business? Back off, close that creepy profile, and do something useful with your time.

You've obviously gotten a bit of a fright. Let it be a lesson and stop setting up fake accounts.

If you have an issue with someone deal with it upfront. If you cannot deal with it upfront you shouldn't be dealing with it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Serious or trolling? :pac:

In the case you're serious, don't worry she or anyone else can't get your IP through Facebook. Only Facebook would have that information when you connect to the website.

Just some idiot trying to put the wind up you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

IP tracing is illegal in Ireland unless the person has allowed and signed a consent form. The EU ruled they are personal data.

That's why sites have to ask you to tick the pop up etc to allow them access to your IP. But you have to agree to let them have that info. But they can't operate without it. They can't give it to anyone though except law enforcement.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/european-court-of-justice-rules-ip-addresses-are-personal-data-1.2835704

She doesn't have your IP and if she did she would be breaking the law. Anyway you would only get the IP of the provider you were using. It's not an IP but an ISP. And even then to get that you would need to be very technically savvy. And even that wouldn't tell you anything because most providers use dynamic IPs that change a lot so the next time you log on the ISP is diff.

Also what YOU did ...i.e catfishing etc its not technically illegal.

Although certain aspects of it can be covered under the law. Certain aspects of what you did could be considered libelous. Partic if it turns out she is not cheating.

In my experience people who think they know the whole story only know half. So if i were you i would be careful what you say about her to others unless you can back it up.

And in general ....if she hasn't done anything to you....then don't feel the need to right her wrongs.

And you have to admit if you have to get someone to TELL you she is cheating ....you don't actually know.

Messaging her friends etc luring them into telling you things about her ...and maybe giving them a bad impression of her. That is definitely something you should avoid to be on the right side of the law. Its boderline stalking and libelous. And people will not have a good impression of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

I think I forgot to say that I deleted the account myself when she mentioned the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Too much cloak and dagger stuff.
    Put up your name, the name of the cheater, the name of her boyfriend, and the names of the friends you messaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think I forgot to say that I deleted the account myself when she mentioned the guards.

Are you actually barbie? :D
    You sound like a very gullible facebook 'spy'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Time to do what the CIA do in the movies.

Get burner phones. Microwave your laptops hard drive and burn all traces of the laptops.

I'm sure the guards will have there crack internet team on it!

• Advertisement

I didnt want to reveal myself in case I got hate but I felt so sorry for the boyfriend so I had to say something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do what Ghandi would do and kill her.

With kindness.

Maybe that wasn't Ghandi. Selena Gomez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I didnt want to reveal myself in case I got hate but I felt so sorry for the boyfriend so I had to say something.

well you have NOTHING to worry about. It was just her thinking she was smart - again, just trying to put the wind up you.
    The Gardai are the only ones who can approach a company and request IP addresses and never for something as trivial as "is she cheating on him?" social media school yard garbage. Only for serious things.

you're young tho right? probably around 18-22 yeah?
    Here's some advice: if shes cheating on him then that's on him to cop on. Don't involve yourself in such matters.
    When I was around that age I told a guy (who i considered a friend) that his girlfriend cheated on him early on in their relationship as she had told me one night in a bar. I felt bad. I told him... guess what happened? :pac: she twisted it into i was wrong (i clearly wasnt - she said to me) and he stopped talking to me as did she. Both were ars*holes looking back so no loss. But why did I ever bother.... so why should you.

well you have NOTHING to worry about. It was just her thinking she was smart - again, just trying to put the wind up you.
    The Gardai are the only ones who can approach a company and request IP addresses and never for something as trivial as "is she cheating on him?" social media school yard garbage. Only for serious things.

you're young tho right? probably around 18-22 yeah?
    Here's some advice: if shes cheating on him then that's on him to cop on. Don't involve yourself in such matters.
    When I was around that age I told a guy (who i considered a friend) that his girlfriend cheated on him early on in their relationship as she had told me one night in a bar. I felt bad. I told him... guess what happened? :pac: she twisted it into i was wrong (i clearly wasnt - she said to me) and he stopped talking to me as did she. Both were ars*holes looking back so no loss. But why did I ever bother.... so why should you.

Thank you so much!

OSI wrote: »
    This is 100% bull****.

What do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Just send her this song...

Tony Cha Cha vs Dennis Christopher - Slut!

LeYouth wrote: »
    Just send her this song...

Tony Cha Cha vs Dennis Christopher - Slut!
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Facebook is a load of sh1t

That just confirms it for her it was you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

whack of fegelien off this OP

defo simialar wiht the fake account bull****ery

Thanks for all the help everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

You can't get someones IP from their Facebook account, but Facebook will have all that data stored themselves.

If the Guard's requested it, they would have reams of information such as IP address, times logged in, for how long, messages sent etc

Facebook doesn't delete messages. Users can delete them out of their message inbox but they still exist in the recipients inbox.

There's privacy issues obviously but if they had sufficient cause to investigate in the case of a murder or assault, they would probably get all that data.

OP you've been a very silly boy and you would do well to steer well clear of other peoples business. For all you know, her bf finds out shes cheating and they resolve it, and you've stuck your neck out for naught.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    You can't get someones IP from their Facebook account, but Facebook will have all that data stored themselves.

If the Guard's requested it, they would have reams of information such as IP address, times logged in, for how long, messages sent etc

Facebook doesn't delete messages. Users can delete them out of their message inbox but they still exist in the recipients inbox.

There's privacy issues obviously but if they had sufficient cause to investigate in the case of a murder or assault, they would probably get all that data.

OP you've been a very silly boy and you would do well to steer well clear of other peoples business. For all you know, her bf finds out shes cheating and they resolve it, and you've stuck your neck out for naught.

I thought a court order was needed for the guards to access information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

I thought a court order was needed for the guards to access information?

I believe Facebook may give out information on 'request' to police in life and death scenarios, suicides etc.

Otherwise if in a particular country a proper legal process has been followed culminating in a court order.

There may be other channels of information but that would be straying into conspiracy territory.

IP addresses can be matched to a particular device at a particular point in time. Rather than to a person. In a direct manner at least.

Also TCP/IP packets can have edited information in the header.

In a process known as spoofing. Which is appropriate given this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Do what Ghandi would do and kill her.

With kindness.

Maybe that wasn't Ghandi. Selena Gomez?

Nah, Gandhi would have slept with the cheater in the nude to prove how much a bro he was.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If you feel so sorry for the boyfriend the best thing you can do is plough the absolute sh1t out of him. He will feel a lot better then.

If you feel so sorry for the boyfriend the best thing you can do is plough the absolute sh1t out of him. He will feel a lot better then.

😂

update: havent heard from the guards lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

update: havent heard from the guards lol

When they kick in your door,then that is when you hear from the guards.I only just saw this thread and to be honest,you should of just minded your own business.And spare me the justification of why you did what you did.It will always make sense to you in the end.

But to me,that's fcked up.

Advertisement