Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

approaching women

Options
  • 15-05-2020 6:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Is it taboo to approach outside the setting of a pub where everyones plastered? Before this pandemic, I approached a woman my age in her 20s at the bus stop and had a good aul chat. Told her she was pretty and she seemed to have received the compliment well contrary to what I hear from feminists online.

But I've heard cold approaches are really not suitable for the culture of Ireland and would be found more in the US/South America/Australia etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,422 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It's acceptable if you're hot.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Cobalt17

Is it taboo to approach outside the setting of a pub where everyones plastered? Before this pandemic, I approached a woman my age in her 20s at the bus stop and had a good aul chat. Told her she was pretty and she seemed to have received the compliment well contrary to what I hear from feminists online.

But I've heard cold approaches are really not suitable for the culture of Ireland and would be found more in the US/South America/Australia etc...

No it’s not taboo, it’s just becoming super rare. Approaching women in bars is becoming rarer also. Due to online dating, 18-25 year old men are limp-wristed and cowardly in terms of the “traditional” model of courtship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭corks finest

Joinea dating club/ forum , hiking club, drama etc, or just let it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Have you considered doing it in the US/South America/Australia etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

People are right on here... He does post some shi*e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This is all lies.

The OP's mammy is not in her 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Pick the most stunning feature of the lady, face, eyes, legs, dress sense, humour (only if you know it), and then say something smart funny and insulting (but ONLY with a sense of humour) see the reaction...;)

Neighbour of mine,has a solution for the OP,he's plastered drunk all the time*

*this approach may end in chronic alcoholism and liver failure

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Maybe she appeared to take the compliment well because she didn't know how you would react otherwise. Particularly if you had noticeably been drinking. If she was alone and/or the bus stop was quiet probably best to leave people alone really.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I approached a woman my age in her 20s at the bus stop and had a good aul chat. Told her she was pretty and she seemed to have received the compliment well contrary to what I hear from feminists online.

And you're bragging online about talking to a woman?
    Or more likely talking at a woman ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

NSAman wrote: »
    Pick the most stunning feature of the lady, face, eyes, legs, dress sense, humour (only if you know it), and then say something smart funny and insulting (but ONLY with a sense of humour) see the reaction...;)

Just a few modifications to render it authentically Irish:

1. Drink too much alcohol.

2. Pick the most stunning feature of the lady and stare silently, but psychotically,
    whilst swaying gently in the breeze.

3. After she hops on the bus screaming 'help', mutter a few expletives and go home to mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

If ur ugly and compliment a girl you'll get done for harassment or they'll call you a creep

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JuneMoon7

Dont approach women waiting on a bus. That is bordering on confrontational and frankly, most women would find that threatening and creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Approaching woman standing alone at the bus stop at 11pm at night telling them they look nice..... Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

SIMP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

women have excellent peripheral vision but if you approach them from the front they can't see you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

women have excellent peripheral vision but if you approach them from the front they can't see you

....or so they keep telling you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There is something really lame about telling a woman who you just met that she is pretty. To me that isn't how you chat someone up, because it seems really shallow and you are making it obvious that you fancy them. You should talk to them like you would any person male or female, have a laugh etc id say telling a stranger you just met at a bus stop that they are pretty would freak them out if they weren't into you.

I would be cringing big time if i saw what you say you did at the bus stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

pgj2015 wrote: »
    There is something really lame about telling a woman who you just met that she is pretty. To me that isn't how you chat someone up, because it seems really shallow and you are making it obvious that you fancy them. You should talk to them like you would any person male or female, have a laugh etc id say telling a stranger you just met at a bus stop that they are pretty would freak them out if they weren't into you.

I would be cringing big time if i saw what you say you did at the bus stop.

Yes. Women prefer if your admiration is conveyed obliquely or indirectly.
    A small trail of spittle flowing from your mouth down your chin as you chat about the bus timetable and weather should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

NSAman wrote: »

Ah someone’s read about negging.

The title of the thread sounds like you’re creeping up on them with a net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Hrududu wrote: »

That's what I thought.!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Zero poster thanks the OP!

Not your ornery onager

I find a baseball bat works better! Hey it worked in the stone age!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yes. Women prefer if your admiration is conveyed obliquely or indirectly.
    A small trail of spittle flowing from your mouth down your chin as you chat about the bus timetable and weather should do the trick.

I honestly can say I don't think iv ever told a woman I just met that she was pretty even in a pub/club, if you are talking to them, drinking with them, having a laugh etc it is obvious the two of you fancy each other, no need to be all "I thing your very pretty"

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I honestly can say I don't think iv ever told a woman I just met that she was pretty even in a pub/club, if you are talking to them, drinking with them, having a laugh etc it is obvious the two of you fancy each other, no need to be all "I thing your very pretty"

That only works if you are Chinese.

If you are Irish it could be seen as very culturally inappropriate!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I just googled negging. That's how I always got the shift! It's wasn't meant in an undermining way though, just craic .
    I'm a bad man 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No it’s not taboo, it’s pretty much a normal everyday thing.

You’ll hear all sorts btw, but anyone using the term “cold approach” is best ignored. Over-analysing everything isn’t good for you either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Maybe we should help this guy get a girlfriend. Then he'll stop posting inane threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭ebbsy

This is all lies.

The OP's mammy is not in her 20's.

Yore Ma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

1) Wait until the female is in a situation from which she cannot easily escape. Bus stop, accident and emergency department, unconscious etc

2) In order to create an attractive and overpowering musk, steep your vest in onion juice overnight in preparation

3) The female responds well to exaggerated accents/peculiar vocal ticks. Rasping and gasped breathing are solid approaches, however wheezing whispers also work a treat.

4) Profuse sweating demonstrates virility to the females

5) The more you keep looking over your shoulder the better. Sudden, rapid hand and eye movements are a bonus

6) Thank me later

Advertisement