Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alabama senate has voted to ban abortion after six weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That is genuinely sick. Comparing someone who disagrees with abortion to be in any way related to a slave owner?

Can you hear yourself?

Jesus christ

Well if the South are regressing, whats to stop them at this century?

The KKK were fairly big in Alabama you know. I'm sure they'd use "we havnt gone away you know" if it wasnt already taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Oh Susanna, don't you cry for me
    I come from Alabama, I've no say with my body.

Could this world get any madder?

The KKK were fairly big in Alabama you know. I'm sure they'd use "we havnt gone away you know" if it wasnt already taken.

Again conflating abortion to racism. I'm out. You are disgusting.

Aeropress wrote: »
    The reason these threads go around in circles forever is because both sides fail to address to underlying difference in opinion, they both debate and argue on the surface level.

Only one side is forcing the other to bend to their wiil.

If people are allowed to make their own choices, literally nothing in any of our lives changes. It has no effect on anyone if a woman they dont know has an abortion.

Forcing someone to have a child they dont want can change multiple lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The news from across the pond is very heartening. Alabama, Georgia, Missouri....fantastic stuff. Good, proud states leading the way. People are realising that a human life actually means something.

Maybe they'll get slavery back too and they can have the good ol days again.
    That's probably what you'd like you rasist. God knows what is going through that sick mind of yours.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Flash flood warnings on the news just now....feminist tears they say.

I'm glad to be living through the backlash against the pro-abortionists. In the old days they would be all be stood up against a wall. I'm content with seeing them dress up in the Handmaiden costumes and cry fake tears.

You are a racist

Sure I am.

Youre getting awful worked up about the poor put upon middle aged white male senators of Alabama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

A group who have a significantly lower median income than the white population of Alabama.
    I wonder if they feel they cant afford large families....

But sure **** it, 6 starving people and 0 abortions is better than 4 who can get by.

Maybe all the middle aged white folk will adopt the extra black babies? No need to overtly say you want a house boy that way and you look all charitable helping the lower classes.

I agree its an absolute tragedy, shocking statistic. There are welfare provisions (ebt, food stamps) of course so most people won't starve.

Suggesting that the lower classes are better off aborting babies rather than grow up in poverty is getting dangerously close to Eugenics in my opinion.

Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood had a famously dim view of African Americans and indeed many of her very first Abortion clinics in the US were situated in African American neighbourhoods.

Her plan seems to have worked as in the State of New York, it is not uncommon (some years) that more African American babies are aborted than are born.

Using the term 'House Boy' is in extremely poor taste btw

Aeropress wrote: »

The true cause of the impasse is a failure to accept that morality is subjective, you can't tell someone that their morals is wrong, you can however tell them that their morals are inconsistent.

Have all the morals you like and live your life by them. Just have the decency to let others do the same.

We shouldn't legislate just for the hard cases .

Why would you want to decide whether what someone else is going through is a "hard case" . You'll never know better than the woman concerned.

• Advertisement

Again conflating abortion to racism. I'm out. You are disgusting.

Loving the insults, arent you? Im conflating backwards thinking with backwards thinking.
    Surely you dont believe all the racists in Amerca are gone? I'll bet you theres plenty that would advocate for slavery in private.

Bet you're not "out" either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

We shouldn't legislate just for the hard cases .

Why would you want to decide whether what someone else is going through is a "hard case" . You'll never know better than the woman concerned.
    By your logic a hard case will depend on what race the women is.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'm glad to be living through the backlash against the pro-abortionists. In the old days they would be all be stood up against a wall. I'm content with seeing them dress up in the Handmaiden costumes and cry fake tears.

'In the old days...'

That sums up your post and views immaculately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

What backlash is this?

Did you miss the whole repealing of the 8th amendment that 66% of the Irish electorate voted for last year? It was a pretty big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Faugheen wrote: »
    So these women should be forced to go through with a pregnancy after a traumatic experience such as rape?

Unless you are disagreeing with the above, everything you've said is irrelevant to what I said.

No actually what I said was that the is an argument of it as a deterrent which has been brought forward by many criminal psychologists. My own opinion on the matter is irrelevant. In an ideal world a woman should never be put in that situation at all (and thankfully at 1% these cases are very much the minority)

People forget that an abortion is also a traumatic experience (both physically and emotionally) so the aim should be to minimize the risk of being put in that situation at all. I am anti-rape 100% and stand by my beliefs of that. My comments in general were on the legal standpoints and the debate and discussion around those points.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    That's probably what you'd like you rasist. God knows what is going through that sick mind of yours.

Hang on. Im confused now. Am I racist against white people or black people? I cant keep up with you lot.

Maybe its both?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Lurching wrote: »
    What's the demographic of the senate?
    I'm guessing they were mostly men in their 50's+?
    Great idea asking them to make a decision on something like this.

The Governor who had the final say on things is a woman: https://www.apnews.com/7a47ddc761dc4b72a017b0836da3a87b

So was the bills sponsor, Terri Collins. The identity politics rubbish helps nothing, and is part of the reason why the US is such a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

KSU wrote: »
    No actually what I said was that the is an argument of it as a deterrent which has been brought forward by many criminal psychologists. My own opinion on the matter is irrelevant. In an ideal world a woman should never be put in that situation at all (and thankfully at 1% these cases are very much the minority)

People forget that an abortion is also a traumatic experience (both physically and emotionally) so the aim should be to minimize the risk of being put in that situation at all. I am anti-rape 100% and stand by my beliefs of that. My comments in general were on the legal standpoints and the debate and discussion around those points.

But that's not the aim here is it? If they care about women who experience unplanned pregnancies then they would:

-Increase funding for sex education (they aren't doing this)
    -Increase funding for contraceptives (they are doing the opposite of this by trying to stop insurance coverage for any contraceptives that give women specifically a choice, such as the pill and IUDs. There are no plans to limit male centred contraception like condoms and vasectomies)

If they cared about babies once they are born they would

-Provide free or greatly subsidised pre natal care (they aren't doing this)
    -Introduce decent maternity and parental paid leave (they aren't doing this)
    -Provide free healthcare to infants and children (they aren't doing this)

Therefore the only logical conclusion is that this is actually about controlling women and rolling back their rights.

I agree its an absolute tragedy, shocking statistic. There are welfare provisions (ebt, food stamps) of course so most people won't starve.

Suggesting that the lower classes are better off aborting babies rather than grow up in poverty is getting dangerously close to Eugenics in my opinion.

Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood had a famously dim view of African Americans and indeed many of her very first Abortion clinics in the US were situated in African American neighbourhoods.

Her plan seems to have worked as in the State of New York, it is not uncommon (some years) that more African American babies are aborted than are born.

Using the term 'House Boy' is in extremely poor taste btw

Im suggesting they be free to decide whats best for themselves.

I'm sure rich people telling them whats best for them is right from the point of view of the rich people.......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,430 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Billy Mays wrote: »
    What backlash is this?

Did you miss the whole repealing of the 8th amendment that 66% of the Irish electorate voted for last year? It was a pretty big deal.

^^^this!

The backlash in ireland has been against the beliefs that the religious hold onto with a weakening grasp.

Divorce, SSM, Abortion all voted for and passed with resounding results. Seeing the backwards thinking by the state of Alabama has given them a tiny glint if hope of going back to the "good old days".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The option to buy pills online is there. Hilarious that's it's a bunch of guys who voted in the majority for this. Next they'll take away the 'wimens right to vote'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Maybe they'll get slavery back too and they can have the good ol days again.

Slavery's back in the US, has been for a few years now.

https://www.thenation.com/article/hidden-history-alec-and-prison-labor/

What else do you call it when you rewrite the laws to ensure that millions of people can be imprisoned for decades for minor offences under 3 strikes laws, where you can make them work for 20 cent an hour and you are free to rent them out to anyone who wants to use them?

Lots of states permanently take away their right to vote too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

In the old days they would be all be stood up against a wall.

I thought all life was precious but here you are harping back to the days when people could be summarily executed.

That’s a bit hypocritical don’t ya think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I wouldn’t want a rape baby. Or an incest baby. Or a baby that is born with mental or physical defects that will not give it any meaningful life.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    By your logic a hard case will depend on what race the women is.

Abortion should be legal everywhere. It just so happens this thread is about Alabama , where the black population earn, on average, a lot less than the white. I was replying to a post saying that 60% of abortions in Alabama were black women. Hence it was a narrow discussion. I'd imagine, but I could be wrong, the poorer people in any area may make up a higher proportion of abortions and thats going to cover every race by the time you work your way around the world.

I dont want any input in to any abortion cases beyond my vote last year. Again, let everyone make their own decisions.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    What backlash is this?

Sure isnt god smiting the evil doers all over the world?

Except when its a church or some other religious folk dying, then its god testing peoples faith so they should double down..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    If they care about women who experience unplanned pregnancies then they would:

This is what the HSE tells women to do with their unplanned pregnancies.

"If you have an abortion before 9 weeks, you can decide how to dispose of the remains. They can be flushed down the toilet"

Do you think that is caring for the women of Ireland and progressive?

The news from across the pond is very heartening. Alabama, Georgia, Missouri....fantastic stuff. Good, proud states leading the way. People are realising that a human life actually means something.

Feminism has proven itself to be utterly toxic to society. Destroying fathers, the family and even women themselves. It's days are numbered thankfully.

Ah classic pro life, abortion is murder, kill the pro choice women.

This is what the HSE tells women to do with their unplanned pregnancies.

"If you have an abortion before 9 weeks, you can decide how to dispose of the remains. They can be flushed down the toilet"

Do you think that is caring for the women of Ireland and progressive?

What would you do with what is essentially a heavy period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

What would you do with what is essentially a heavy period?

You're nuts mate, not engaging with you.

Advertisement