Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drum & Bass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

es-cee wrote: »
    i'm 100% glad i'm doin the courses, and would recommend them highly! just a bit of an eye opener is all.

I wish I had 2 things.....the money & the time lol :(........ahh atleast when your a famous producer banging out crispy clean new stuff and rubbing shoulders with the elite I can say "Ah sure I knew him when he was just another oldskool lover" ........ and "where's me signed CD & vip passes" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Yeah man they've some serious sounds going on!

But I still think the newer stuff is too "samey" & "clean" if that makes sense!? :confused:

You're just not listening to the right new stuff so; plenty of heads still pushing things forward without big plastic 200hz snares on the two and the four...

Newer tunes I'm feeling / battering :

^ First, third and last tunes on that clip. "Stonehead" sounds pretty empty until you hear it on a proper rig, unprecedented levels of sub bass....

Fierce & SPY - Fury : could only find a short clip but it's deadly.

ST:Cal - Falling down : the one that's being mixed into Steptoe there, huge tune.

Wasn't sure about this one at first, but I find myself utterly unable to walk down the street without wanting to sing the riff at the top of my voice. Vangelis business. Smashes dancefloors to pieces too - probably not worth listening to on laptop speakers.

You're just not listening to the right new stuff so; plenty of heads still pushing things forward without big plastic 200hz snares on the two and the four...

Cheers Steve

Not the first time I've heard that (check Es Cee - he's forever telling me to come into the present lol)

Nebula - Ice Sculpture ...... I like it!!!
    D*Minds - Directions ....... Liking it too!
    Equinox - Your Loves so cold ...... Like that too!

That's not a bad start for me lol 3 from 5 ..... I like the above 3 as they probably sound the closest to the oldskool sound if ya get me? The other two are so so , I think I just like the sounds of the snares :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the new stuff is bad or shyte or anything, just my own preference is the oldstuff which to me sounds perfect .......or gritty,rough,raw n smudged :o (no thats not bad vinyl handling lol) , whereas to me alot of the newer stuff has a kinda tinny polished crispness to it ....... I mean, if they were to re-produce (remaster or whatever ya call it) Omni Trio's Renegade Snares or Origin unknowns Valey of the Sshadows today would they sound the way they did originally or would they have a more polished sound? if theydid then it wouldn't be the same to me.

As for the sounds been pushed forward,I'm open to alot of new sounds, I actually like alot of the early Dubstep stuff thats been put out.

Apologies, I'm lousy at putting my 'thinking' into words :o .......I think i'm just guilty of been a stubborn old fart who likes things the way he remembers them lol

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8oeaUsZwX2zyTNdUEjXpewr7gVd4Ta7SaKeANHHDdW0CZpzVT

Right, going to have a listen to those further vids ya posted.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Cheers Steve

Not the first time I've heard that (check Es Cee - he's forever telling me to come into the present lol)

Nebula - Ice Sculpture ...... I like it!!!
    D*Minds - Directions ....... Liking it too!
    Equinox - Your Loves so cold ...... Like that too!

That's not a bad start for me lol 3 from 5 ..... I like the above 3 as they probably sound the closest to the oldskool sound if ya get me? The other two are so so , I think I just like the sounds of the snares :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the new stuff is bad or shyte or anything, just my own preference is the oldstuff which to me sounds perfect .......or gritty,rough,raw n smudged :o (no thats not bad vinyl handling lol) , whereas to me alot of the newer stuff has a kinda tinny polished crispness to it ....... I mean, if they were to re-produce (remaster or whatever ya call it) Omni Trio's Renegade Snares or Origin unknowns Valey of the Sshadows today would they sound the way they did originally or would they have a more polished sound? if theydid then it wouldn't be the same to me.

As for the sounds been pushed forward,I'm open to alot of new sounds, I actually like alot of the early Dubstep stuff thats been put out.

Apologies, I'm lousy at putting my 'thinking' into words :o .......I think i'm just guilty of been a stubborn old fart who likes things the way he remembers them lol

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8oeaUsZwX2zyTNdUEjXpewr7gVd4Ta7SaKeANHHDdW0CZpzVT

Right, going to have a listen to those further vids ya posted.

:cool:

old dogs, new tricks, and all that jazz :D:D:D

ah ya give the tunes a chance, thats enough for me man ;)
    i know plenty of peeps who wont entertain the idea of listening to any tune any genre past 93, and also my cousin who is 41, wont entertain anything past 1990 :rolleyes: yes i know lol, get with the fcukin times! but each to their own is how it goes, gonna have to bring you into the twisted pepper one night G, steve does be rockin the basement in there, dnb styleee :)

• Advertisement

Cheers Steve

Nah I actually completely agree with you (well up to a point anyway) about that - what drew me to the older tunes was the grittiness of them, and the innocence, and the fact that it was all sample based; a lot of the newer techy stuff can sound very sterile and overproduced to me, I tend to prefer a slightly more raw organic approach (not always though - Rockwell, the Exit Records stuff, Break and a good few of the newer heads like Spectrasoul, Dub Phizix, Skeptical etc are really doing it for me).

What I hate are modern tunes that instead of taking advantage of the near-infinite amount of control over production and drum editing etc. neglect to use it to it's full advantage and just turn everything up to 11 - I will never own or support a State of Mind, Black Sun Empire, Spor or Metrik tune for that very reason, and even heads I used to rate like Calyx and Teebee I just can't listen to.

Horses for courses, as the man said!

Either way I'll be playing a few records in the Twisted Pepper on the 14th and on the 28th, it's up in the loft both times, but we're bringing in as much of a Funktion 1 rig as we can comfortably fit up in there to beef up the system.

Failing that, if you're near Limerick for Halloween I'll be in Dolan's Warehouse on Saturday the 29th, and if you like early Dubstep the way you said you do you'll be happy to know Loefah is playing down there too :)

302474_2455276631349_1535073048_2727272_2069105676_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Had this on today, Jungle at it's finest:cool:

This should give EsCee a grin :D ...........I'm starting to appreciate these newer dnb sounds lately!!

The nicer smooth n mellow stuff for now! :cool:

This should give EsCee a grin :D ...........I'm starting to appreciate these newer dnb sounds lately!!

The nicer smooth n mellow stuff for now! :cool:

nice1 G, i love all the smoother stuff myself man, do chop n change between liquid and neuro stuff all the time. thats a cool little mix man, like it ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers m8,it's an extract from an 45min 'mix' i tried for the craic but made a balls of it at 17:50 by dropping in a harder Nnetsky 'dubstep' type tune in error :o:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

• Advertisement

young lad's a wicked producer, surprised he's not been signed to a label yet tbh.

dark as fúck too, really like it.

11.11.11 ::: Tribe @ MUD: Teddy [Macronite] Bonz & Executive Steve [Ancient Ways] The Twisted Pepper, Dublin

Winter is coming, the nights are drawing in, the clocks have gone back, the summer drought of tunes is long past and once more it's time for another edition of TRIBE to get the circulation flowing in our favourite little sweatbox of a room up in the Twisted Pepper.

Still merrily basking in the afterglow of so many of you having turned out to hear Rockwell destroy the basement a month or so ago, this time we're back on a strictly Irish tip once again as we throw the spotlight on one of the more promising new selectors to emerge from Ireland's booming West Coast Drum and Bass scene. Initially raising eyebrows (including his own, widely regarded as among the bushiest in Irish Electronic Music) with a series of audacious bookings in his native Limerick, including Alix Perez, Ulterior Motive and a forthcoming Irish debut for Fanu's groundbreaking new live show, Teddy has matured into a confident and diverse selector in his own right with astonishing speed; his blend of razor sharp minimal cuts with fluid atmospheric Jungle and Drumfunk have won him plaudits after star turns at Bump Festival, Life and more recently at Limerick's Macronite, where he has now been installed as the resident DnB head.

Warming up the proceedings (and warming up the Funktion 1 soundsystem we're bringing in to beef up the sonics courtesy of the legendary Hertz U Soundsystem!) is none than Tribe resident and Ancient Ways head honcho BONZ, setting the pace with a 90 minute set of the spiky tribal rhythms, deep chords and punishing sub bass that has justly made his name a byword for quality music played with laser guided precision.

Finishing the night off for the last hour is Dublin insitution, avuncular monarch, bearded superhero and all-round good egg Executive Steve; a modest man with much to be modest about. The man who has written more press releases about himself than any sane individual should have to endure writing, and yet somehow still finds ways to make utterly indefensible claims about his own greatness without sounding like a dick. YEAH, THAT GUY. Best known for hosting (and now co-hosting, since adding Bonz into the mix) a revolutionary radio show blending high-octane Drum and Bass with light celebrity gossip "as Gaeilge" featuring an all star cast of D-list Irish celebrities that even hardened Showbiz.ie regulars find themselves having to resort to Google to identify, former reality TV show contestant Executive Steve will be rolling down with a bag of tunes so lethal the Geneva Convention regards his record bag as a Weapon of Mass Destruction. You have been warned.

www.tribedublin.com

www.raidionalife.ie

www.facebook.com/ancientways

facebook event : http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=298236640205187

Fookin loving this tune , been walloping the ar$e off it since getting it!

1:28 & 3:41 Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh :D

the flip aint half bad either!! in a futuristic James Bond theme tune kind of way!

:o ..... seems ya can teach an old git new tricks afterall lol ........ loving these liquid dnb neurofunk or whatever the funk ya call it type sounds latelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Might be of interest to some here, fairly interesting.

Obligatory tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Any of you guys listening to anything coming out from Shogun Audio and the like

I'm not very knowledgeable of D&B releases in the past tbh, but I'm liking the sort of stuff artists like Rockwell, Icicle and Skeptical are putting out. Nice mixture of dark techy deepness in it for me:

One of my favorites from Rockwell here, really nice track

Some Skeptical:

And some Icicle: This track absolutely kills!:

• Advertisement

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Any of you guys listening to anything coming out from Shogun Audio and the like

I'm not very knowledgeable of D&B releases in the past tbh, but I'm liking the sort of stuff artists like Rockwell, Icicle and Skeptical are putting out. Nice mixture of dark techy deepness in it for me:

One of my favorites from Rockwell here, really nice track

Some Skeptical:

And some Icicle: This track absolutely kills!:

Big fan of Icicle and Rockwell man, we had Rockwell over to play for us there a month or two ago, amazing producer and a great DJ too.

Pretty sure Icicle is playing in Dublin in January too, and we have Loxy and SP at our night around then as well...

If you're stuck for fresh beats (and we've played every tune you posted up there on our show over the past while) you should totally tune in to me radio show - every wednesday from 21.00 on 106.4FM near Dublin or online at www.raidionalife.ie

check the links in my sig for more info!

;)

Am playing down in Cork on the second of December if that's easier to get to than Dublin is, failing that you can catch me at:

Dublin, Cassidy's (Occupy Dame Street Fundraiser) 26th November

Dublin, King 7 - 10th December

Dublin Twisted Pepper 23rd December (TBC)

Dublin Twisted Pepper 31st of December

...and then dates supporting Icicle and Loxy in January, but I'm still a bit sketchy on what the actual dates are, so check us out on twitter or facebook for more info as we get it.

top tune, bland to some, but who gives a shít! :D

Big fan of Icicle and Rockwell man, we had Rockwell over to play for us there a month or two ago, amazing producer and a great DJ too.

Pretty sure Icicle is playing in Dublin in January too, and we have Loxy and SP at our night around then as well...

If you're stuck for fresh beats (and we've played every tune you posted up there on our show over the past while) you should totally tune in to me radio show - every wednesday from 21.00 on 106.4FM near Dublin or online at www.raidionalife.ie

check the links in my sig for more info!

;)

Am playing down in Cork on the second of December if that's easier to get to than Dublin is, failing that you can catch me at:

Dublin, Cassidy's (Occupy Dame Street Fundraiser) 26th November

Dublin, King 7 - 10th December

...and then dates supporting Icicle and Loxy in January, but I'm still a bit sketchy on what the actual dates are, so check us out on twitter or facebook for more info as we get it.

Nice one, I'll make sure to tune in this Wednesday, got to see the Shogun crew at Outlook this year and was really impressed. Kryptic Minds (although not exactly D&B I suppose) are doing it for me too at the minute.

Trips to Dublin/Cork are limited at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on the socials and try make it for a night soon. Any other labels/artists you'd recommend in a similar vein?

Nice one, I'll make sure to tune in this Wednesday, got to see the Shogun crew at Outlook this year and was really impressed. Kryptic Minds (although not exactly D&B I suppose) are doing it for me too at the minute.

Trips to Dublin/Cork are limited at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on the socials and try make it for a night soon. Any other labels/artists you'd recommend in a similar vein?

Yeah man, love Kryptic Minds - they actually did DnB for years before moving to Dubstep in 2008, some of their stuff on Metalheadz and the last album they did on their own label Defcom as well as the deeper stuff on their other label Osiris was very good indeed. They were kings of the really really hard and evil tunes for a good while until they got bored and started making deeper stuff (have a look around for "Minor 9" and "Afterlife VIP") and then figured they'd have more crack making Dubstep. Great producers, if I'd been into that uber-dark tearout stuff I'd own a lot more of their records than I do.

Here's a few labels I'd recommend to someone who digs the Shogun stuff and who likes Rockwell specifically:

Labels:

Exit - D:Bridge is probably one of the most influential DJ's in DnB right now, his Autonomic series of podcasts with Instra:Mental redefined the relationship of DnB to the wider scene of forward thinking electronic music. Do yourself a favour and get all the Autonomic podcasts (google them) and then go buy his Gemini Principle LP and the Mosaic Volume 1 various artists LP - the latter in particular is a great snapshot of where cutting edge DnB is at right now. The Genotype LP and the forthcoming Loxy & Resound LP are also worth a punt.

Critical / Critical Modulations series - founded in 2002, released Rockwell's early stuff, still puts out a serious amount of good music most months. Since you like Rockwell, have a look at the first release on their Modulations series of 10" releases - "The Cleaner" by Hybris is a wicked tune. All the various artist compilations on the label are worth owning too - Critical Sound Volume 1 and "All Sounds Electric" volumes 1 & 2. Enei is the new star of the label, his "Stonehead" EP and his big anthem "Cracker" are both cracking releases.

Warm Communications - excellent Texan experimental DnB imprint, has released tunes by Naibu, System, Fracture & Neptune, Martsman and ASC.

Offshore - Another US label, based in Brooklyn. Try and find a few of DJ Clever's mixes and take it from there. Can be willfully difficult sometimes, but they have some cracking releases under their belt by the likes of Martyn, Fracture & Neptune, Martsman etc.

Subtle Audio - excellent Irish label based in Limerick. Get the Subtle Audio vol. 1 & 2 compilations and then check the rest of the back catalogue. ASC - "Oceanography" is probably the tune on there you'll like the most; it really is special. I've been starting sets with "Tensions" by Sub for the last few months, quite Rockwell-ish despite coming out well before Rockwell got his first release. Aphex Twin is a huge fan of the label.

Commercial Suicide - Klute's label hasn't been essential purchase material for me for a number of years, but that's more down to the fact that I'm just a bit picky and it's a pretty diverse label. Amit's LP "The Never Ending" on that label however is one of the ten best DnB solo albums this century, and Amit's work continues to surprise and surpass. Check Klute's solo output too - astonishingly diverse producer with a real feel for melody.

Soul:R - Marcus Intalex's label. release wise you should check out the Lynx & Kemo LP, both DAT:Music compilations, the Soul:ution volume 1 mix CD and Intalex's own "21" LP. Check out Intalex's Soul:Ution radio show too.

Ingredients - newest label on this list, only going since 2008, rapidly grown into a crucial imprint for interesting minimal rollers. Recipe Book volume 1 is teh album to go for, but check out the individual releases too.

www.rolldabeats.com <- best discography site on the web for DnB / Dubstep stuff; just type any of the labels i've mentioned into the search field, pick "label" and go check it out - you can click through to find full discographies of any artists you like, check for aliases and what not. Very handy.

revised gig schedule:

Invasion Cork @ Cruiscin Lan Dec. 2nd

Tribe Dublin @ Twisted Pepper feat. Bonz (Tribe, Ancient Ways) & Sho (Absys Records, Poland)

Dublin, King 7 - 9th December

January dates still TBC.

• Advertisement

http://www.exitrecords.co.uk/marka/

Insane track, more along the minimal DnB line, but it's pretty heavy stuff

http://www.exitrecords.co.uk/marka/

Insane track, more along the minimal DnB line, but it's pretty heavy stuff

Huge tune that, I'm avoiding it as much as possible - been popping up in mixes since September and i really really don't want to overexpose myself to it because I know for a fact I'll get it when it comes out, hammer it for weeks and then get sick of it....

But yeah, that's going to be getting rewinds for months to come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Huge tune that, I'm avoiding it as much as possible - been popping up in mixes since September and i really really don't want to overexpose myself to it because I know for a fact I'll get it when it comes out, hammer it for weeks and then get sick of it....

But yeah, that's going to be getting rewinds for months to come...

Hey Executive Steve, where do you play? and what type of style?
    Have you done anything for pulse?

Hey Executive Steve, where do you play? and what type of style?
    Have you done anything for pulse?

Easy mate, play all over the place really, but usually the Twisted Pepper - I run a night in there called Tribe along with another lad called Bonz, we run a record label called Ancient Ways and a weekly radio show on Raidio na Life 106.4FM.

Style wise you'll hear me play pretty much anything upwards of 170bpm, but I mainly tend to veer from deeper minimal tunes to dubby halftime tunes and all the way up to breakier drumfunk / jungle / techstep stuff - the only cheese i like is in my fridge though.

Was offered a slot on Pulse a few years ago but wasn't too enamoured of the setup up there; no decks in the studios, loads of dicking round with FTP servers, editing radio shows etc - I'm a vinyl man through and through and like to be able to just turn up to a station and play tunes the way God intended.

Did do a guest slot (interview and a bit of a mix etc) for one of the lads up there at one stage though, was nice. You'd think if they're paying Tubridy the guts of half a million they'd be able to shout the Pulse DJ's a few bob for records and a bus fare home after the show though, being the national broadcaster and all...

Are you anything to do with Pulse yourself?

quick plug:

www.soundcloud.com/ancientways

www.facebook.com/ancientways

www.tribedublin.com

Incoming gigs over the next few weeks include:

RAID @ King 7 - Friday 9th December

Renegade Noize Christmas party - 23rd December

Twisted Pepper NYE - 31st December

Tribe presents: Loxy & Mantmast @ Twisted Pepper (mid-January, date still TBC)

Poster Fish - January 28th (venue still TBC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Twisted Pepper NYE - 31st December

Tribe presents: Loxy & Mantmast @ Twisted Pepper (mid-January, date still TBC)

Will most certainly try to be in attendance for these two, missed Loxy when he played for 174 a couple of years back but still listen to the IDNB podcast of it. Saw him at Renegade Hardware in June and he smashed it to bits:pac:

non related, this is a fcuking tune

• Advertisement
Advertisement