Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age question

• 09-03-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

My great granaunts Mary born 1850, Bridget 1853 & Honor 1858 ( from Baptisim reords) Their parents Michael Rushe & Honor Byrne

I know for a fact that 2 sisters moved to providance in the state of Rhode Island in the 1870s-1880s as 2 of my grandaunts moved over to them in the 1920's, this info is common knowledge and has been handed down through a few lines of the family.

I think I ve found them at the below link

https://www.familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Arush~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Amichael~%20%2Bfather_surname%3Arush~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3AHonor~%20%2Bmother_surname%3AByrne~

First of all the Edward Rush is 100% my great grand uncle & i think his sisters are listed below.

Finally on to my questions!

1. Look at the years of birth given, is this something that on Amercian records you have seen before - as in years to be off that much. I know in my own searchs in the irish census I've seen people age 20 years between 1901 & 1911! was it common place for new immigrants to lie about thier age & if so by that much?

2. Michael Rush & Nora Burns - surly Michael Rush & Honor Byrne. To me considering the time thats as good a match as you can get. Nora short for either Eleanora/Honora

3. I know they lived in Rhode Island I know they died there, well 2 sisters anyway never heard of the 3 of them moving and living there. There were 4 sisters one lived in the home place until the 1920s and is buried there. Surly these are my 3 other great granaunts. To be honest if the birth years were right I would be sure but its thrown me!

Anyway your comments are greatly appreciated, I have been researching my family for about 4 years now & have learned alot but would consider myself a good intermediate at best compaired to some of you here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Don't think my link worked so here's a screen capture

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

What year did you think those people should be born?

Your talking of times in the 1800's but those records are for the 1900's...

dido2 wrote: »
    What year did you think those people should be born?

Your talking of times in the 1800's but those records are for the 1900's...

If you look at my attached image, their death certs from the 1900's say that they were born in 1866 & 1867. I am saying they were born in 1850, 1853 & 1858

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Ages on records are often inaccurate - especially on deaths... all depends on how well the informant knew the deceased.

In many cases people didn't even remember their own exact year of birth - dates and birthdays were not so important back then for most people

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

That makes more sense, the first link had just 4 Rush people all born in the 1940's and 50's and I was trying to understand how you could think the dates could be out by almost 100 years!!!:)

• Advertisement

dido2 wrote: »
    That makes more sense, the first link had just 4 Rush people all born in the 1940's and 50's and I was trying to understand how you could think the dates could be out by almost 100 years!!!:)

Ya fair enough thats why i added the image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I've come across so many inaccurate ages in Censuses and other records that I take them all with a huge pinch of salt, especially those in the 19th Century. :eek:

Use them as a general guide only and you can't go far wrong. :)

Advertisement