Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absence of fathers name on Marriage Cert

Options
  • 02-03-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I've one person in my husbands family tree who while I can trace her family both before and after she was born, I can't find a birth record for her even though I can find a record for a brother of hers who was born and died before she was born, anyway on her marriage cert even though her father was still alive his name wasn't put down and I wondering if there was a reason for that, my overactive imagination is saying she may have been "adopted" and didn't want to list him on her marriage cert, marriage took place in 1952...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heidiresk

Adoption was not legal until 1953 in Ireland.
    Is there a father's name listed on her birth cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

When I say adopted I mean of those cases where someone else other than her parents brought her up for whatever reason..

I can't find a birth cert which is why I'm thinking that who we know as her parents may not be her parents....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What name are you using when you look for a birth record for this person? As an adopted person myself I have searched for and found what I believe to be my original birth cert. When looking for it I didn't search for the name that everyone else would know me. The Trace Guide in the Adoption forum was a great help.
    2. Obtaining Your Birth Cert
    This may seem like a very daunting and nerve-wracking task, but remember you are doing nothing illegal. Numerous adopted people have successfully traced and reunited using this guide. The General Registrar's Office for Births Deaths and Marriages (GRO, also known as Joyce House) is the place to start (see attached list of contact numbers and addresses). Be sure to bring this guide with you when you go to Joyce House. What you need to obtain is a copy of your birth certificate (the document you normally use as a “birth certificate” is actually an extract from the Adopted Children’s Register), which is a public record, like any other, recorded in the Register of Live Births and which is open to inspection by the general public. This should say where you where born, your original name and your natural mother's name.
    Do not even consider going to Joyce House without a reasonable amount of spare cash - we suggest €45.00, but you may only need €10.00. There is a research room located on the first floor, which is open to the public Mon. - Fri. 9.30 am - 4.30 p.m. In order to see the books you must fill out a year search form. Do not hesitate to ask the staff for help. They are very helpful, but please be patient as they are understaffed. It costs €1.90 to search a particular year, €15.24 for a general search. Take your time looking through the books and make sure to have some pens and a notepad with you. The format of these books changed in January 1966 so we shall explain both formats.
    PRE JAN 1966:
    Births at this time were registered every three months; the books are separated into four quarters, March, June, September and December. There are no dates of birth shown in the books.
    EXAMPLE:
    SURNAME CHILD'S NAME* MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME AREA OF REG. VOL. PAGE
    BROWN KENNETH SMITH DUBLIN N 2 346
    BLOGGS JOSEPH BLOGGS DUBLIN N 2 568
    BROWN FEMALE CARTER ROSCREA 4 361
    Entries where the surname (which is the child's surname) and mother’s maiden name are the same are usually what you are looking for (the father’s name was rarely entered). Take note of all the entries where this occurs; only selecting out male or female as appropriate. When you have them all listed, you are now into a process of elimination. If you know the name given to you by your natural mother, check for an entry with that name. The Area of Reg. is another way of eliminating more off your list. This is the registration area in which your birth took place.
    Copies of an entry cost €1.90 each. A small white photocopy request form must be filled in. You will receive a copy of the entry, which has as much detail as a full birth cert. If the date of birth matches yours, also place of birth, this could mean you have found your birth record. If not try another one on your list. Sometimes a birth at the end of one quarter might not have been registered until the next quarter. Example: a birth for 28 Sep. 1965 might not have been registered until Oct. 1965 and will not be in the book until Dec. 1965. Also check the back of the books for late handwritten entries.
    * Adopting parents may have changed Child's name
    FROM JAN. 1966:
    Some people feel it's easier to trace after Jan 1966, some consider it harder. Births from Jan. 1966 are registered in block for the whole year, but do have dates of birth.
    EXAMPLE:
    SURNAME CHILD'S NAME MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME AREA OF REG. DATE OF BIRTH VOL PAGE QTR
    BROWN KENNETH SMITH DUBLIN N 4-5-66 2 346 2
    BLOGGS JOSEPH BLOGGS DUBLIN N 1-12-66 2 568 4
    BROWN FEMALE CARTER ROSCREA 28-3-66 4 361 2
    BROWN LUKE JONES DELVIN 1-9-66 3 421 3

You will have to look through three or four books but at least you have a date of birth to go on. Again if you do find your own date of birth, check the surname and mother’s maiden name for a match. If they do match, it could be the right one but keep going and check all the books! It is not impossible (and has occurred) for two babies of the same name were born in the same place on the same day so it’s important to keep going, hard as it is to do. Once you’re done, hopefully you will have your birth cert.
    We know it’s hard not to race at this point but remember you are now in control and there is no rush. The use of this information must be responsible – take your time.
    Please Note: At the moment, you will only be able to obtain five photocopies per day, so if it is possible to bring someone with you, you’ll be able to get ten. Anything over this amount is posted out to you.
    Also Please Note: Don’t throw away extra photocopies and notes away; they might be useful to someone else.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heidiresk

It was common practice during that time to foster out or "board out" children.
    Good luck, records are far and few between during that period.

You can search on this site: first try mother's name, then try child's name.
    You should be able to see if a father was listed. If it is an "illegitimate" child, the father will not be listed.
    https://www.familysearch.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Hermy

The only name i have is the one she was known by so no way of searching anywhere for her with another name..

Heidiresk

I've used familysearch for all of my certs so far and I've checked all possible ways for her, this is a fairly wide search in terms of years for her,https://www.familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AMary%20%2Bsurname%3ALonergan%20%2Bbirth_place%3AIReland%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1925-1940~&collection_id=1408347
    there are a lot and I've gotten a few of them, one of them was for 1926 in Cork and she would be a cousin of the woman I'm searching for or maybe even her, she was supposed to have been born in Dec 1933, i've searched the church that her parents got married in and there is no record in that church..

• Advertisement
Advertisement