Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do's and don'ts for first time buyers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Febreeze wrote: »
    Jesus that's awful. I think I would lose my mind if that was to happen to me. Spend all that time saving, happily going through the process then boom 7 years later "Your house is actually sinking". I would lose the will to live.

What are they planning to do? Is there noone they can contact about this?

There trying to get their insurer to cover the cost, but apparently the issue is difficult and tricky to fix. Something about the foundation's not being deep enough... basically the whole estate was built on marsh land and the developer didn't spend the money on groundworks to keep their costs down and max their profits

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

Graham wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's not possible, but telling a first time buyer fixer-uppers are always a fantastic opportunity is poor advice.

Plenty of discussion (and examples) over the last few years where the fixer-upper on offer represented extraordinary poor value.

Which is exactly why I said get a full survey & go in with your eyes open for what needs doing

It’s not always an opportunity but purely looking at newer houses is a bad way to buy a house, particularly for FTB when circumstances change and they need to sell up & move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Graham wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's not possible, but telling a first time buyer fixer-uppers are always a fantastic opportunity is poor advice.

Plenty of discussion (and examples) over the last few years where the fixer-upper on offer represented extraordinary poor value.

I will admit, I've read a couple of threads about fixer uppers and a lot of them have pointed to fixer uppers are just as good as "Newly builds" if you're getting your monies worth basically but I'm on either fence. I think it comes down to preferences as well. I agree with both yourself and the other poster and it is a case of will I won't I but sure I'll find out soon enough won't I. I'll be taking on all advice gathered and I've already annoyed my partner enough to the point where I have been banned from talking about any form of houses haha!

Cheers for the advice :-)

Sparky85 wrote: »
    Which is exactly why I said get a full survey & go in with your eyes open for what needs doing

It’s not always an opportunity but purely looking at newer houses is a bad way to buy a house, particularly for FTB when circumstances change and they need to sell up & move

I am hoping the home we buy will be our first buy and won't have to feel the need down the line to move. I've viewd both older and newer properties and I still can't get my head around the differences in prices, both high and low it's mental but hey, that's the fun of it I guess.

Eyes open is definitely what I'll be taking from this. Genuinely would of been an idiot and seen a house I love and run for the hills with it but there's so much that I've learned, I've actually backed away from setting with one type of house I would love and took up to viewing all shapes and sizes.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    There trying to get their insurer to cover the cost, but apparently the issue is difficult and tricky to fix. Something about the foundation's not being deep enough... basically the whole estate was built on marsh land and the developer didn't spend the money on groundworks to keep their costs down and max their profits

I hope they get their houses fixed soon. I say it's a pain in the arse for them as it is.

• Advertisement

Febreeze wrote: »
    I hope they get their houses fixed soon. I say it's a pain in the arse for them as it is.

Their engineer has said that its unlikely become a real issue for another few years, but they can't sell it as an inspection will find the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

EireinOZ wrote: »
    Me and my partner are saving for a house .I am a public servant and my partner is a engineering. We are both just starting our working career . I'm on 26k and he is on 28k per year. Our rent 600 a month and our car loans are 380 a month . we save about 1500-1600 a month. What is the chance of the banks leading us more than 3.5 times of our income ? We would like to get a house for 300000. We should have our 10 percent deposit in Jan 21

Honestly?
    No chance.
    You're looking for a €270k loan, which is 5 times your income. The rule is 3.5 times. The banks may make some exceptions, but I've never heard them go that high and the exceptions are usually for high earners. I think you need to lower your expectations and start looking at €200k houses.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Honestly?
    No chance.
    You're looking for a €270k loan, which is 5 times your income. The rule is 3.5 times. The banks may make some exceptions, but I've never heard them go that high and the exceptions are usually for high earners. I think you need to lower your expectations and start looking at €200k houses.

They take other things into account too, a public servant has a very secure job with guaranteed yearly pay increase, most engineering disciplines will be moving into much higher salaries as their career progresses etc this sort of thing is very much part of the equation. Banks will go as far as 4.5 times which isn’t a million miles away from what they need either, save for a bit longer maybe get a gift from family etc and they would be in with a chance of getting somewhere near what they need. Prices for a 300k house now might have dropped too come next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Prices for a 300000k house now might have dropped too come next year.

Must be some house :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Honestly?
    No chance.

Spoke to an AIB advisor yesterday and he said most banks aren't giving exemptions at the moment, presumably due to the virus. So I'd also doubt you would have any chance in getting that price any time soon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Spoke to an AIB advisor yesterday and he said most banks aren't giving exemptions at the moment, presumably due to the virus. So I'd also doubt you would have any chance in getting that price any time soon..

What price? Wouldn't need an exemption for a €200k house.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

What price? Wouldn't need an exemption for a €200k house.

Oh no, i know wouldn't need one for that price. He just said in general they're not giving them out right now (I meant to reply to the poster asking the question about the 300k house)

We're looking at max 220k really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

EireinOZ wrote: »
    Me and my partner are saving for a house .I am a public servant and my partner is a engineering. We are both just starting our working career . I'm on 26k and he is on 28k per year. Our rent 600 a month and our car loans are 380 a month . we save about 1500-1600 a month. What is the chance of the banks leading us more than 3.5 times of our income ? We would like to get a house for 300000. We should have our 10 percent deposit in Jan 21

If you managed to clear your car loans it’s doable through the rebuilding Ireland home loan. That’s offered through your county council. Without a car loan ye could get €271k , with car loans it’s reduced to €191k. That’s for Dublin based over 30 years , some other counties would offer lower.

http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

May or not mentioned but if you or your spouse smoke then stop now as if you do not have 12 months as a non smoker your life protection insurance will be very expensive.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    May or not mentioned but if you or your spouse smoke then stop now as if you do not have 12 months as a non smoker your life protection insurance will be very expensive.

Thankfully we quit smoking 2 years ago. Mainly because of health but the price was getting ridiculous so we just stopped. Cold turkey. We've saved loads so that's been a huge help. But thanks for that advice :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

2BailMeOut wrote: »

€49 a month for a smoker on mortgage protection policy and I have a chronic illness, it’s defo doable and not crazy money really.

Maybe we got lucky, but it might be good bearing in mind not everything is black and white as your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

They take other things into account too, a public servant has a very secure job with guaranteed yearly pay increase, most engineering disciplines will be moving into much higher salaries as their career progresses etc this sort of thing is very much part of the equation. Banks will go as far as 4.5 times which isn’t a million miles away from what they need either, save for a bit longer maybe get a gift from family etc and they would be in with a chance of getting somewhere near what they need. Prices for a 300k house now might have dropped too come next year.
    From conversations with bank advisors, most exemptions fall well below 4.5, in and around the 4 range. I was told that the archetype of the people getting the absolute maximum exemptions were high-earning couples living with the parents with next no permanent expenses.

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

Hey everyone. Do you know do the banks ask for p60's? And is it usually for the previous 2 years? If so, would someone who was back in education and not making a huge salary during those years look poor on an application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭frw5

If I was saving some extra money on the side in cash, what is the best way to deposit that to the account and have it counted towards deposit?

frw5 wrote: »
    If I was saving some extra money on the side in cash, what is the best way to deposit that to the account and have it counted towards deposit?

My broker advised standing order. But if it’s cash, then maybe try put in the exact same amount at the same date and if you can label it like savings or something.
    Banks may ask where the cash came from, so be prepared for that, they love paper trails!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭frw5

My broker advised standing order. But if it’s cash, then maybe try put in the exact same amount at the same date and if you can label it like savings or something.
    Banks may ask where the cash came from, so be prepared for that, they love paper trails!
    So I've got couple of k saved in cash, always had the idea its good to have some money in cash + normal bank acc savings, so basically split it in ie 3 payments due it on 10th of July, August, September ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

1. Go to a mortgage broker

That's pretty much it. They'll do everything else.

So I've got couple of k saved in cash, always had the idea its good to have some money in cash + normal bank acc savings, so basically split it in ie 3 payments due it on 10th of July, August, September ie.

To be honest, when it comes to cash I’d seek out a broker, I went for an independent one, not the one the estate agent recommended (too much interest in the sellers favour). They would be able to help when it comes to cash savings + bank savings.
    You will need to lodge all your savings into the bank anyway as the solicitor EFT transfers your deposit over to the vendors solicitor.

Some banks also want proof of funds, and I don’t know if a picture of a wad of cash is what they mean! :D

Save a much higher amount than normal from your salary for a few months and spend the cash. If asked just say you had a lean few months to save a bit extra before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think you need a different thread on how to money laundering :D:D

Just don't touch any money from your account for the next three months and use the cash you have saved for living,

Just tell them you sold a push bike you had no use off...Did a cash job a few months back, went to lodge it got all sorts of questions. Mind it was €1200

Just don't touch any money from your account for the next three months and use the cash you have saved for living,

That looks worse tho

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's probably a forum for that somewhere. :D

Mod Note

This isn't it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    That looks worse tho

Could you just say your been extra careful with your money and saving more coming up to applying , How is that worse than lodging a few grand and saying its money you took up out and kept,

If it really is money he took out ( no reason to not believe him ) he can just point to the cash withdrawals on his statement , If its not money he took out they will look for the cash withdrawals on his statement for him to prove it is ,

Could always say its gift from mam and dad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

mimimcmc wrote: »

The banks majorly F'ed up with exemptions.

The number of exemptions they can give depends on the number of customers they have. A lot of banks used all the exemptions they expected to have for the whole year in Janruary and are now finding they had less customers than expected. I won't put any hope in getting an exemption this year, the banks might already be fined for giving out too many.

Advertisement