Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon, Jeff Bezos and Billionaires, we're through the looking glass people!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so reading between the lines OP you suspect Jeff Bezos to behind this pandemic to boost his profits? hmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

anzn discussed on a hard left board can only be negative, there european centre is in the UK don't think they would be welcome here our sw pays more ireland's biggest alternative employer

Boards is hard left :rolleyes: And Amazon are coming here, they are currently looking to find a warehouse on the edge of the M50 to set up their first Irish distribution centre. Thats aside from the 1,000 odd employees they already have working here near Baggot Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

Zero hour contracts,, warehouse staff having to piss in bottles,, that Bezos is not a nice guy..

There is a whole list of stuff wrong with Bezos,, even NY refused to let his move his HQ there. It just seems to me that some people make the world a better place,, but not Bezos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riinow64_jY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Muahahaha wrote: »
    And Amazon are coming here, they are currently looking to find a warehouse on the edge of the M50 to set up their first Irish distribution centre. .

They bought the jacobs site on the Belgard road a few years ago and have the place nearly ready from the look of it.

satguy wrote: »
    Zero hour contracts,, warehouse staff having to piss in bottles,, that Bezos is not a nice guy..

There is a whole list of stuff wrong with Bezos,, even NY refused to let his move his HQ there. It just seems to me that some people make the world a better place,, but not Bezos.
    Should the people that make the laws not give workers better rights?
    Maybe Donald Trump doesnt actually care about people after all.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Should the people that make the laws not give workers better rights?
    Maybe Donald Trump doesnt actually care about people after all.........

He cares about people all right.

People in his own social circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Portmanteau

You can both appreciate the service Amazon provides while at the same time view such a monopoly, which third party sellers have no choice but to get swallowed into, as something not quite right.

You can also be in favour of entrepreneurialism but questioning of such a level of monopoly/lack of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They bought the jacobs site on the Belgard road a few years ago and have the place nearly ready from the look of it.

What year was that? I was just going by this article here from last December which said that they are currently scouting locations for a distribution warehouse around the m50.
    Amazon is seeking its first warehouse in Ireland to fulfil orders currently shipped from the UK, according to sources. The move comes as UK prime minister Boris Johnson prepares to lead the UK out of the European Union.

The online retailer is scouting sites with about 100,000 sq ft (9,290 sq m) of space and has evaluated options on the outskirts of Dublin, the sources said. No deal has been agreed and there’s no certainty any lease will be signed, they added.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/amazon-seeking-first-warehouse-in-ireland-to-fulfil-orders-shipped-from-uk-1.4120153

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Cobalt17

Gradius wrote: »
    A "visionary"?

He's a bloke who, in some capacity, started selling stuff on the Internet instead of physical shops. That's it.

Sure, there are a lot of difficulties to overcome, logistics etc. But the root of the idea is simple as muck.

Same with your man and PayPal. A convenient way to pay for goods over the Internet. That's it.

That guy from Apple that was supposedly a super genius for "inventing" the iphone/I pod or whatever. It was the thousands of nameless people that worked for him that actually made something.

Then they become billionaires and throw their money into very expensive ideas like space rockets. Do they have a single breeze about building space rockets? No.

Check it out. I'm going to throw 2% of my near limitless money into building cities under the sea. I'm a visionary, you see :p

A bloke that can accurately forsee and calculate the science of space like Einstein is a visionary. These mega-wealthy single-idea people above are just "right place, right time" people.

If amazon didn't take off, another company would have taken its place almost immediately. Whereas the likes of Einstein may never be repeated.

"visionaries" these people are not :p

If the retail end of it isn’t your idea of visionary, AWS is certainly one a of kind and definitely visionary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a data centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Nationalise Amazon!!

© Paul Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

I worked in that factory way back,, and still to this day, have never told a soul how Jacob's put the fig in the Fig Rolls ...

Fair enough. I thought initially it was to be a distribution centre. Unless the site wasnt big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What I find reallly annoying is people who peddle one narrative. The let free markets run wild because that's the status quo and to hell with the externalities mindset is deeply flawed. That's the problem with the world, too many people take the easy option of siding with one side or the other. Maybe it's easier to just put your hat on one side and run with that argument. It's very hard to reconcile conflicting thoughts, better to just think in black and white. They take comfort in siding with the likes of Bezo's because they feel its somehow the ideal to live up to. It's absolutely wrong that Bezos has that level of wealth and it isn't distributed better to the people responsible for their output. And you're a shill if you think otherwise given the clear evidence of growing inequality and the increased power of technology firms like Amazon. How short sighted do you have to be to not see the implications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

People spout about the "free market", but there rarely is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know what Jeff's plans are, but if I were him I'd try and invest most of the money back into society for better social services for all and better governance of the USA or wherever in the world, and promote whatever causes you think worthy. I'm not familiar with what laws may get in the way but with that much money surely you could have a massive influence on a country and mould it into whatever you think a better society would be, or run the country like some kind of Hank Scorpio type character, whatever was your jam.
    But surely there should be some kind of cut off point as to when money stops being worth anything or you could just control most of the world?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Cobalt17

What I find reallly annoying is people who peddle one narrative. The let free markets run wild because that's the status quo and to hell with the externalities mindset is deeply flawed. That's the problem with the world, too many people take the easy option of siding with one side or the other. Maybe it's easier to just put your hat on one side and run with that argument. It's very hard to reconcile conflicting thoughts, better to just think in black and white. They take comfort in siding with the likes of Bezo's because they feel its somehow the ideal to live up to. It's absolutely wrong that Bezos has that level of wealth and it isn't distributed better to the people responsible for their output. And you're a shill if you think otherwise given the clear evidence of growing inequality and the increased power of technology firms like Amazon. How short sighted do you have to be to not see the implications.

How exactly doe you redistribute net worth, most of which is tied up in company value? Should AWS be nationalised as Coppinger suggested should have been done with Dell? I’m genuinely curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The attention the billionaires is likely a taste of what's to come (perma COVIDx10).

The rise of automation (the 4th industrial reveloution) will clear up 45-50% of all jobs by th emid 2030's.
    Then you have about 4bn folks asking why some fat lordy chap is sailing around the Med on yacht to a tax haven, on the back of his staff's pensions, and state furlongs.

* for anyone using the default template response of "ah but shure der will be them new jobs created in 2035".
    Yes, and no. Any new jobs will be super skilled, require an elite education and tip-top experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Going to be ?

It is a data centre. Gas backup generators included

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I know Microsoft are still the largest company in the US by market cap, but I find Bill Gates to be a far more palatable billionaire than most of the rest of them. At least the company he founded is based upon selling software and services to companies who value what Microsoft is selling them. He also recommends great books.

The new breed like Zuckerburg, the Google lads, Uber, Airbnb are wealthy because of predatory tactics involving the loss of privacy, advertising, and destroying the very fabric of cities that they move into like rats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement