Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We value your privacy

Options
  • 18-05-2020 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭

No you don't. Feic off. Seeing websites slowly turn to grey upon loading and this blatant lie appearing in a dialogue box is getting very annoying now. What possesses the cretins to use this exact phrase? I know this is because of the Giddapoor law passed a few years ago but does it specify that they must use these exact words?

The daftest form of it is when you are pretty much forced to accept they track you for 3rd party advertising and analytics in order to make the dialogue box disappear

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sure they value it, valuable to sell on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Definitely a cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Did you ever look at the amount of 'partners' who will have access to the cookies on your machine? I have an extension in Chrome which deletes all cookies when I close a tab. So I just accept them and close the tab when I'm finished.

A bit annoying that you have to accept them every time and log in again but I have a password manager too so don't have to type my log in details in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Wheety wrote: »
    Did you ever look at the amount of 'partners' who will have access to the cookies on your machine? I have an extension in Chrome which deletes all cookies when I close a tab. So I just accept them and close the tab when I'm finished.

A bit annoying that you have to accept them every time and log in again but I have a password manager too so don't have to type my log in details in.

I should really do that. What's the name of the extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Could use brave browser.

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    I should really do that. What's the name of the extension?

Called Cookie Auto Delete

As I said you will have to log in again on every site and accept cookies again so there's a toss up about privacy or conveineance.

This is it in the Chrome Store but I'm sure it's available for Edge too (the new Edge is Chromium based) and possibly Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Called Cookie Auto Delete

'Cookie Cutter' would have been a better name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Bruce Schneider, and IT security/privacy expert, put it best. You are the product and companies will only give minimum protection to personal data as people are blase about handing it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭circadian

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Could use brave browser.

+1

Also loads of extensions out there to cut out trackers etc. I also pihole everything at home, https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts is a good repository for blocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭josip

I deliberately go to websites in which I have zero interest in order to foil the cookies.

“The whole secret lies in confusing the enemy, so that he cannot fathom our real intent.”
    Sun Tzu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

josip wrote: »
    I deliberately go to websites in which I have zero interest in order to foil the cookies.

7,500 posts, now that's real commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

. Maybe use Firefox for websites that require a login password and Chrome for all other websites. Google is being sued by someone in the European courts because it, s impossible to avoid being tracked by ad networks in Android. Apple has an option to switch off ad network tracking in ios privacy settings in its phones. It's a cliche if a service on the web is free it means you are the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nothing more annoying than those poxy messages, what I hate most about them is after you say ok and then you realise the article was just stupid click bait anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What's the Chrome extension??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Oh it's a bug bear of mine lately ,that cookie shyte. Ever since I discovered I can reject all and still see the site

Ipso wrote: »
    Sure they value it, valuable to sell on.

This^. They are being very literal with us.

Some of those permission forms, they hide the 'opt out'/'reject all' options in another menu and make you have to really search for it. Or they make you click each individual one which can amount to dozens of clicks and minutes of time just to access a website without your data being mined.

Anytime I see such scummery, I instantly click my back button and find the info elsewhere. It's a big internet. On the flipside - I respect and revisit the sites which make it easy to opt out.

cj maxx wrote: »
    What's the Chrome extension??

It's called Cookie Auto Delete

Advertisement