Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Are you really this naive about Uber flouting regulations? I linked you to a whole Wikipedia article about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

MJohnston wrote: »
    Are you really this naive about Uber flouting regulations? I linked you to a whole Wikipedia article about it.

Don't be an obnoxious knob. I simply asked someone what the main cost saving elements were in terms of regulations. If you don't want to answer that, then don't - but don't come on here with posts that don't advance the discussion in any way, shape or form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

What are the main cost-saving elements for them in terms of regulations?

License cost for one, commercial insurance, fleet standards. Uber only enforce whatever they are forced to in their localities and some do not force them to do anything. Some provincial Ubers abroad you'd be wary to get into they are so clapped out.
    As regards on-boarding people, sure they need plenty of VC money in that race. I already find that the uber algorithm has to be watched in the market I'm in - and I always check with cabify to get the correctly priced fare.

Sure; but it's these subsidised fares that make them more attractive than taxis and not their inherent goodness.
    Other than that, I like the idea that someone can decide to go out for a few hours and work uber as and when it suits them. There's a lot of value in that for people.

It does makes sense, but in environments where there is plenty of road space and no public transport. Where the traffic is bad already you're not adding any value. Irish business case for Uber would be delivering locals home from their rural pubs perhaps.
    It makes more sense to me that they would spend much less time 'driving around' than a taxi. Perhaps its the market i'm in, but every uber i use here is accepting their next job the minute I get out of the car.

Again looks the maps is all that I can say to convince you otherwise. These maps are crawling with Ubers...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Don't be an obnoxious knob. I simply asked someone what the main cost saving elements were in terms of regulations. If you don't want to answer that, then don't - but don't come on here with posts that don't advance the discussion in any way, shape or form.

Ah I see, you're one of those posters. Look, this Wikipedia page is full of examples of them cutting corners to save money:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uber_protests_and_legal_actions

If you don't think that answers your question, I don't know what to say. Here's an overview:
    • underpaying drivers (they had to pay out $20 million because of this)
    • coding their app to avoid providing service to officials in cities where it was banned (and continuing to provide service to anyone else)
    • getting Uber employees to deliberately waste the time of drivers using competitor apps
    • their "dynamic pricing" model which frequently rips off passengers (this is one area where regulation is 100% protecting customers)
    • classifying Uber drivers as 'independent contractors' to avoid having to treat them as employees (with pesky things like "minimum wage" not applying)
    • using the complexity of the app to defraud drivers and passengers by presenting longer routes at booking time than are actually necessary, but still charging for that longer route
    • skipping background checks, or doing them inadequately, or overlooking violations, for drivers (they had to pay out $8.9 million in Colorado for this)
    • routing their profits through offshore companies (something taxi drivers would find extremely difficult to do)
    And this is just within the United States! In Europe they were also skipping paying the kinds of license fees that legit taxis have to pay, and trying to ignore basic taxi regulations like "having insurance".

If you can point me to which of these Uber policies are good for customers, I'd love to know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Anything that's cheaper must be good for the customer, look at the number of people who buy their stuff from the 2 euro shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I have no problem allowing an Uber-style model here, personally I'd be happy with the vetting etc being done by the company, but if it makes people feel better require them to get a taxi or hackney licence. However, change the rules that getting such a license only costs the administration fees and other artificial barriers to entry like requiring new ones to have wheelchair accessibility.

You could also require the company to have group insurance to cover issues arising on trips they arrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Uber rides are not massively subsidised by investors.

There are about four billion Uber rides per year. Uber's annual losses in 2017 were $4.5 billion.

So maybe a subsidy of about a dollar a ride.

I think Uber could sustainably increase prices by a dollar a ride tomorrow and retain market share.

They are still in start-up mode however, so are in the business of building market share. They are also spending huge amounts on R&D that a mature company does not need to.

As a company, they basically want to become a transport solution - probably involving self-driving cars and trucks too.

They are a lot more than just replacing taxis.

[*]their "dynamic pricing" model which frequently rips off passengers (this is one area where regulation is 100% protecting customers)

Dynamic pricing means that customers who don't really need to really travel at a peak time don't travel.

And that customers that really need to travel, and can afford do, can travel.

It also brings drivers out on the street when they are most needed.

All sorts of businesses - including airlines and hotels - use dynamic pricing and no one gives it a second thought.

Dynamic pricing already kind of exists with the higher regulated prices that are charged during evenings and Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

As far I'm concerned Uber won't do anything to reduce traffic congestion in fact would likely make it even worse as people who would otherwise use public transport may see Uber as a viable alternative especially if they don't own a car as it has done in some cities.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    As far I'm concerned Uber won't do anything to reduce traffic congestion in fact would likely make it even worse as people who would otherwise use public transport may see Uber as a viable alternative especially if they don't own a car as it has done in some cities.

Actually a lot of my journeys involve collecting/dropping kids and grandparents who don't drive.

I have to go from A (where I live) where the real journey is B to C, and then I have to get back to A again.

With Uber (especially if self-driving cars come in) journeys are generally only B to C. This should on balance reduce the number of journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

strandroad wrote: »
    Why do you think that Uber, a famously lax company will provide any of this?

If a regulated taxi breaks the rules they can lose their license. If a Uber driver breaks the rules they'll be dumped from the app that's all.

Uber took off abroad where there were no decent taxis and no apps/card payments. In Dublin the last thing we need is rando cars clogging the city cruising for business.

Read again there ......

Where did I say any of what you just did.

I'm talking about any such service hence it shouldn't be allowed and to be honest most actual taxis out there shouldn't be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why do you think that Uber, a famously lax company will provide any of this?

If a regulated taxi breaks the rules they can lose their license. If a Uber driver breaks the rules they'll be dumped from the app that's all.

Uber took off abroad where there were no decent taxis and no apps/card payments. In Dublin the last thing we need is rando cars clogging the city cruising for business.

Read again there ......

Where did I say any of what you just did.

I'm talking about any such service hence it shouldn't be allowed and to be honest most actual taxis out there shouldn't be either.

Bray Head wrote: »
    Actually a lot of my journeys involve collecting/dropping kids and grandparents who don't drive.

I have to go from A (where I live) where the real journey is B to C, and then I have to get back to A again.

With Uber (especially if self-driving cars come in) journeys are generally only B to C. This should on balance reduce the number of journeys.

I think we'll waiting a while longer before self driving cars fully come in as the norm. It's a bridge that can be crossed when we come to it. Even if self driving vehicles become a reality which they won't anytime soon public transport should still be prioritised.

I think we'll waiting a while longer before self driving cars fully come in as the norm. It's a bridge that can be crossed when we come to it. Even if self driving vehicles become a reality which they won't anytime soon public transport should still be prioritised.

My point still stands without self-driving cars.

My point still stands without self-driving cars.

That may be the case but if Uber was allowed here many may find it a more attractive option than public transport which shouldn't be allowed.

It might only be B to C for you, but the Uber car comes from their A to collect you and then goes to D to collect another passenger. All in all they are still on the road even if you're not on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That may be the case but if Uber was allowed here many may find it a more attractive option than public transport which shouldn't be allowed.

public transport is always the most unatractive option, its slow, smelly, full of junkies and doesnt bring you exactly to and from where you want to go. The only advantage it has is that its cheaper, Uber would encourage a lot of people off it.

public transport is always the most unatractive option, its slow, smelly, full of junkies and doesnt bring you exactly to and from where you want to go. The only advantage it has is that its cheaper, Uber would encourage a lot of people off it.

Despite the fact a lot of those are misconceptions that are untrue. It's a sustainable transport method meaning it takes up a lot less road space, is more environmentally friendly and reduces congestion. We have bus lanes to improve journey times and Luas or Dart are often quicker than driving into the city centre. People will start to use Uber as an unsustainable alternative.

Despite the fact a lot of those are misconceptions that are untrue. It's a sustainable transport method meaning it takes up a lot less road space, is more environmentally friendly and reduces congestion. We have bus lanes to improve journey times and Luas or Dart are often quicker than driving into the city centre. People will start to use Uber as an unsustainable alternative.

Uber is in some ways complementary to public transport. Most train stations (inter-city as well as suburban) are really badly served by connecting buses.

It might only be B to C for you, but the Uber car comes from their A to collect you and then goes to D to collect another passenger. All in all they are still on the road even if you're not on board.

Literally 50% of my driving to pick up my teenager from a friend's house is superfluous to the main purpose.

Sure, the average Uber is not full all the time between rides and to/from the driver's residence. But it is much more efficiently used than 50%.

• Advertisement

Uber is in some ways complementary to public transport. Most train stations (inter-city as well as suburban) are really badly served by connecting buses.

And that can be done by improving bus access to railway stations bus connects to some degree should do that although that could create other capacity issues on trains particularly around peak times. That's almost like saying private cars are complementary to public transport due to park and rides.

And that can be done by improving bus access to railway stations

Of course it can. But in over 30 years of DART, Dublin Bus have failed abysmally at integrating with it.

Of course it can. But in over 30 years of DART, Dublin Bus have failed abysmally at integrating with it.

True but just because we failed at something in the past doesn't mean we should just give up at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I don't think this is true at all. Contactless payments? Adopted very rapidly, including Apple/Google Pay. Taxi apps? Hailo was a massive success very quickly. Deliveroo has been a huge success too. Dublin Bikes became a global model for how to successfully implement a bike-rental scheme. Mobile phone networks in Ireland are far more generous with their data plans than a lot of other countries - go and compare with USA for example. Intercom? A massively successful Irish tech startup. Daft really changed how the property market worked in Ireland long before many other countries started doing similar things (when I lived in California in 2013 they were still using Craigslist for rentals ffs).

Many of these things you mention have been available for years and have been implemented in places like South Korea,Hong Kong, Singapore and China years before Ireland.
    Hailo is an app the models itself on Uber, it is also British, not Irish.
    Dublin Bikes? The same model has been in many a European city years before Dublin.
    Mobile Data plans? I travel a lot to Asia for work. Mobile data plans from €25 for 80GB of 4G data. You won't get that in Ireland
    There has been the odd few Irish startups that have done well, like Daft as you said or Stripe which is by far the more successful. Yet the tech scene in Ireland is dominated by multinationals, very little employment in homegrown startups.

Scratch the surface of Irish society and you will see that we are not as tech savvy as you think. The Gardai use Pulse, a system that makes dial-up seem innovative.
    The hospital and education systems need billions in IT upgrades to bring our public services into the 21st century. We still do not teach ICT in the classroom, but religion and Irish remain in pride of place.

Just because we use contactless payments sometimes, does not mean we are tech savvy as a nation. Just think of the public perception of Uber and Airbnb? Usually very negative, without much foundation. We as a nation do not like change too much.

What most people miss in ride-sharing, is why the Irish regulator does not issue a Taxi license to people who want it.

At the moment, you cannot get one, which basically makes it almost impossible for a new entrant to enter the market unless they a) buy a license of someone else or wait until the regulator out of the kindness of their hearts releases more licenses.

Also, last time I looked it cost the guts of €5,000 for said taxi plate. Why is it so expensive?

markodaly wrote: »
    Just because we use contactless payments sometimes, does not mean we are tech savvy as a nation. Just think of the public perception of Uber and Airbnb? Usually very negative, without much foundation. We as a nation do not like change too much.

Or perhaps we can see that they stop being reasonable very quickly when they scale up. The likes of Uber would be good for rural/small town part time drives but they only add problems when launched full time in cities neglecting the usual standards. Airbnb is great to rent a room or a studio off someone who's away but not great when it takes entire properties off the rental market without paying proper dues or when it ignores safety standards.

Technology is not inherently good and we shouldn't bow to it on principle, some projects are basically just temporary cheat codes when someone found a niche to exploit until the loophole is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

et the tech scene in Ireland is dominated by multinationals, very little employment in homegrown startups.
    this is not true. All the Irish techs are recruiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Uber rides are not massively subsidised by investors.

There are about four billion Uber rides per year. Uber's annual losses in 2017 were $4.5 billion......

They are still in start-up mode however, so are in the business of building market share. They are also spending huge amounts on R&D that a mature company does not need to..
    • Start up business.
    • Losses of $4.5 billion.
    • In a service industry that has existed for well over a century all over the world.

This would suggest that they really don't know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

• Start up business.
    • Losses of $4.5 billion.
    • In a service industry that has existed for well over a century all over the world.

This would suggest that they really don't know what they are doing.

I doubt that is true - in fact, I'd wager they do know exactly what they're doing. However, if you are right and you dislike them, they're going to go away soon, right?

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    this is not true. All the Irish techs are recruiting.

Can name on Irish tech company who employs more than 1000 people in Ireland?

Advertisement