Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction at Connolly

Options
  • 18-12-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what the work is been done for?

Is the moving of TMVs temporary or another badly taught out decision which results in access to the station been severely disrupted at peak hours with queues blocking passengers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of the barriers are down - its new ticket desks over by the pharmacy side. Would assume the old ticket desk and original TVM location is being converted to something else in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Old office making way for M&S I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

GM228 wrote: »
    Old office making way for M&S I believe.

In good time for Brexit; a UK food store :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Who bring their prepacked sandwiches in overnight from England!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

L1011 wrote: »
    Who bring their prepacked sandwiches in overnight from England!

Which are probably supplied from an Irish owned firm :)

• Advertisement

Pretty certain they are. Greencore may need to redirect production to more local factories that may have been dearer to accommodate in old logistics chains but are the only option now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's not M&S. It's Fallon & Byrne going into the old ticket booth area according to today's Irish Times. Due to open late summer and will specialize in food and ready meals. Handy for time poor commuters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Fallon and Byrne is a rip off, a bit like Avoca or Donnybrook Fair.

The O'Brien's is open this morning, first of the three new units to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Has anyone got any pics of this work done so far? I haven't been getting the train at Connolly Station for months.

• Advertisement

If I'm not in a hurry heading through some day (e.g. I'm stuck working late or something) I'll grab a few.

Using the ancient Streetview internal images as a base to remind me what was there:

Basically there's an entire new, smaller ticket and info desk beside the pharmacy along that side wall; there is a large protrusion where the old TVM line used to be which will be the Fallon & Byrne. The space between Easons and the toilets has been extended out slightly and that's where the O'Briens is.

The rear of the old info desk is where Starbucks will be, accessed from outdoors.

The main bulk of the TVMs are now where the old info boards were in front of the concourse seating bit of the pub - and where the left luggage lockers were when the initial redevelopment was done. There are few over by the new ticket/info desk. And the info boards that were moved from there are now along the side of the escalators behind the coffee stall.

And finally the glass wall seperating the seating area from the side of the escalators is gone. This makes the ATM much more obvious - I didn't even know it was there!

thanks for the update! Yes, when they got rid of the ATM downstairs opening onto Amiens St, they relocated it to that discreet area behind AMT Coffee.

So Starbucks also opening? That will be 5 choices for coffee (AMT, Bean and Gone, O'Briens, Madigans cafe and Starbucks, or 6 as Fallon and Byrne will no doubt sell it too). I think the little kiosk in the tunnel going to platforms 6/7 also serves old school milky coffee or tea if you ask for it...

Starbucks has opened. Not sure exactly when as I have had to drive in a bit more recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Starbucks has opened. Not sure exactly when as I have had to drive in a bit more recently
    There's place doing breakfast blaas there. Can't wait.

I think Starbucks literally opened in the last week. I see they also now allow pedestrian access from main entrance (as you face the platforms) to the right of the internal escalators to the relocated ticket counters and information booth. That particular area still looks makeshift or temporary looking for some reason. Fallon & Byrne foodhall still not open yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not really worth a separate thread, but where the train line crosses the Royal canal,whats going on at the bank? seems more than a bit of maintenance?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    not really worth a separate thread, but where the train line crosses the Royal canal,whats going on at the bank? seems more than a bit of maintenance?

Royal Canal Greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Royal Canal Greenway.

There seems to be a framework of some sort, is there a bridge involved?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

There seems to be a framework of some sort, is there a bridge involved?

Yes, to lift the Greenway over Newcomen Junction.

Assuming it's kept safe this will open up the IFSC area to North Strand and make a lot of cycle or walk commutes a lot shorter than going the old way around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Article on this section, works began back at the start of 2019.

• Advertisement

I'm quite surprised Fallon & Byrne haven't opened yet, considering there would be a Christmas demand for their kind of product. January would be the worst time to open a luxury food seller with people skint, on diets or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I'm quite surprised Fallon & Byrne haven't opened yet, considering there would be a Christmas demand for their kind of product. January would be the worst time to open a luxury food seller with people skint, on diets or both.

Money issues of sorts I belive. Builders not paid etc. Seen an article a couple of weeks ago that they closed a store due to money issues. Loads of work going on in the car park as well.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Money issues of sorts I belive. Builders not paid etc. Seen an article a couple of weeks ago that they closed a store due to money issues. Loads of work going on in the car park as well.

Yes their Rathmines store shut as they were way in rental arrears with the Swan Center landlords. It did make me wonder if this will adversely affect the progress of the Connolly outlet. It would be an awful eyesore if left in it's current ugly hoarding set up indefinitely.

Reading in Irish times earlier that Fallon and Byrne's food/ restaurant outlets is "on hold" both at Connolly and Dundrum. The company ran into financial trouble and have already closed an outlet in Rathmines.

Hope something is done, as it looks very ugly as you enter Connolly.

M&S (well, SSP who run the Heuston franchise) will take it if its made available again I'd imagine.

Advertisement