Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barracuda Bay or Assembly Square

Options
  • 06-04-2020 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

I'm having a hard time choosing! Someone help me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Colham wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time choosing! Someone help me!

What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Completely personal choice - both sets fantastic.

Assembly Square probably better value on a price per piece basis.

I was actually in the mood for a modular set as well as Pirates, however there's something about Assembly square that doesn't appeal to me even though it's very highly rated.

So I bought pirate set last week on lego.com and then the detectives office on bricklink as always wanted that set, one of the nicer modular sets IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Colham

I was actually in the mood for a modular set as well as Pirates, however there's something about Assembly square that doesn't appeal to me even though it's very highly rated.

Me too, I think it's because you need something to hide the sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Barracuda Bay.

I have Assembly Square somewhere still in the box from LEGO, but I have no interest in building it. It is my least favourite modular, it is too squashed together with too much going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Barracuda Bay.

I have Assembly Square somewhere still in the box from LEGO, but I have no interest in building it. It is my least favourite modular, it is too squashed together with too much going on.

It’s a good and varied build. There’s plenty of space in it and everything is fairly easily accessible, unlike the likes of Detective Office.

Firstly I don’t think they should have tried to fit 3 buildings into 1.5 space, secondly the lack of symmetry in terms of one side having a gap / path between buildings while the other side doesn’t, thirdly I don’t like the way the middle building is set so far back to allow space for the fountain.

Firstly I don’t think they should have tried to fit 3 buildings into 1.5 space, secondly the lack of symmetry in terms of one side having a gap / path between buildings while the other side doesn’t, thirdly I don’t like the way the middle building is set so far back to allow space for the fountain.

I'd agree with that. think it was 240 on lego.com and I spent 250 or so on detective office for a lot less pieces.

so even though assembly square is great value I just couldn't pull the trigger due to all the above issues with it.

I'd agree with that. think it was 240 on lego.com and I spent 250 or so on detective office for a lot less pieces.

so even though assembly square is great value I just couldn't pull the trigger due to all the above issues with it.

Are the sets with2 buildings on one baseplate an issue? Unless you’re making a Wes Andersen layout in your town, the symmetry thing is just weird to me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Three sets so far have 16 wide buildings - Market Street, Pet Shop and Bookshop.

If you really buy in to the "its blocks of 4x4" idea, you'd better not have Market Street as it breaks that first block up giving one side 5. Or if you do, either drop the street section of it (cause its awful :pac:) or clone the Pet Shop house (relatively cheap elements-wise I'd think; and it would make sense to have multiples)

If I had near infinite space and could display a "modular city" I would probably go for 4x4 but not always in order and with some clone of the Pet Shop and possibly Bookshop houses; and try figure out something for the courtyards it would create - sports pitches, carparking, parks, whatever - but I don't.

• Advertisement

I have them all except Market Square and Cafe Corner.

I thing I have enough to do a square block of 4 / 2 / 4 / 2 with them all facing outwards and 2 x 2 empty square in the middle.but don’t have the space to leave it on display.

https://ibb.co/8dxffGx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

If you are a modular building fan, Assembly square is a straight forward choice ya. It is not just any modular set, it was the 10 anniversary and they truly nail it in capturing all the beauty of the modular line into this one massive set, it is spectacular and it is the modular that they put the most effort in it to date. although...if you are speaking on a spectacular 'modular' set....my no1 set is actually Ninjago City.

Barracuda set is a no-brainer for a pirate fan obviously. so choose your poison well ha (my order is on back order now...)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've got a linear display along the top of a wall of IKEA Kallax units, which has now run out of space due to the series having run on too long. My Cafe Corner, Market Street and Green Grocer are 'fake' - genuine parts but built from my own stock plus Bricklink/PAB orders.

Market Street is really not worth doing but Cafe Corner can be fun to clone if you're willing to do some compromises - use modern windows upstairs where it just had open holes for instance (as those side supports they used are VERY expensive)

L1011 wrote: »
    I've got a linear display along the top of a wall of IKEA Kallax units, which has now run out of space due to the series having run on too long. My Cafe Corner, Market Street and Green Grocer are 'fake' - genuine parts but built from my own stock plus Bricklink/PAB orders.

Market Street is really not worth doing but Cafe Corner can be fun to clone if you're willing to do some compromises - use modern windows upstairs where it just had open holes for instance (as those side supports they used are VERY expensive)

If I remember correctly, I spent maybe 600 euro bricklinking Cafe Corner. The only difference with my mine is the windows (as above, if I’d the original parts I’d still have replaced them with actual windows) and a jumper plate. Otherwise it’s identical. It’s was a great project, but it took a ton of time and I’d didn’t do it as economically as possible in terms of shipping costs.

Only missing Green Grocer, but I keep on thinking there’s a chance they’ll release it. Might do a colour swap though.

I’m of the camp that doesn’t recognise Market Street as modular, so I’ve no interest in getting it.

My Cafe Corner was a lot cheaper than 600 due to
    1: Having the front door somehow - not sure where I got it from.
    2: Flipping the side door for the cheaper mirror design
    3: Waiting until the expensive arch was re-released briefly and buying it then
    4: Waiting until the parrots were re-released.
    5: My turntables are the wrong colour. You can't see them anyway.

Green Grocer has some retired design parts in it - but if they just re-released the tiles beside the door and the sand green slot bricks - both of which are current moulds - it would collapse the build cost. The bricks would be about 8c if current production and are more like four quid EACH; and you need 56 of them!

I may buy the instructions for this MOC based on Assembly Square pieces:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-32576/InyongBricks/10255-assembly-square-alternative-build/#info

Advertisement