Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Eldest has no zoom classes today from school so I brought them off with their kayaks for a bit of fun round the lake. Beautiful morning for it.

https://ibb.co/x3sMN6T

Santa was thinking ahead to lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Eldest has no zoom classes today from school so I brought them off with their kayaks for a bit of fun round the lake. Beautiful morning for it.

Is the water cold?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is the water cold?

Yes. Very

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

That lake looks pretty high when you see the fishing stand under water like that and there could be other stands hidden under that flood. Were you in a kayak as well to keep an eye on them?

That lake looks pretty high when you see the fishing stand under water like that and there could be other stands hidden under that flood. Were you in a kayak as well to keep an eye on them?

It’s really high after last weeks rain.
    No they went off on their own for an hour and we went off for a walk.
    Both really strong swimmers including experienced in the lake. Eldest is a qualified lifeguard and they of course had life jackets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Both really strong swimmers including experienced in the lake. Eldest is a qualified lifeguard and they of course had life jackets.

How old are your kids or what age did they start kayaking? Something I wouldn’t mind getting my own kids into

How old are your kids or what age did they start kayaking? Something I wouldn’t mind getting my own kids into

12 & 18
    We only just got the kayaks at Christmas but they would have done kayaking with adventure schools and on holidays.

Could see at Christmas that lockdown was going to cover the spring and with two nice lakes nearby Santa had a brainwave. Just wanted to have more options to keep some activity and variety for them, eldest is doing LC at moment amd while school are doing classes it’s hard going. She’s finding it particularly tough to be away from all her friends all the time, it’s not normal for an 18yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

In fairness everywhere here is the same. Lots of water

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Some scout organisations can offer opportunities to teenagers to try kayaking, as do some schools if they offer a range of activities during transition year. There is an Irish summer Gaeltacht school for teenagers down in Mayo called Colaiste Uisce, which combines Irish with water sports including sea kayaking. My own kids got some exposure to kayaking in these ways and its important that they are decent swimmers for a start.

Some scout organisations can offer opportunities to teenagers to try kayaking, as do some schools if they offer a range of activities during transition year. There is an Irish summer Gaeltacht school for teenagers down in Mayo called Colaiste Uisce, which combines Irish with water sports including sea kayaking. My own kids got some exposure to kayaking in these ways and its important that they are decent swimmers for a start.

My daughter was all set for that Irish college last year but with covid couldn’t go, it seems amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

My daughter was all set for that Irish college last year but with covid couldn’t go, it seems amazing.

Outside belmullet. You can go down and do the adventure parts still. Will get you the details of the fella who does it

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Outside belmullet. You can go down and do the adventure parts still. Will get you the details of the fella who does it

Ahh
    Was fit the Irish for school she was going, and the crack, and the lads I’m sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Brian is standing at the front gate with a shotgun.

Think of all they are missing out on with no discos etc. I wonder are there affairs still going on with covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Done a whelan2 on my phone earlier. A realme 6 now has 3 vertical cracks full length of screen. Really liked that phone. Must check you tube to see can it be replaced. Still working 100%.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I know that lake well. I often launched right there too beside the disabled fishing stand! It's a good paddle down to the bottom of the lake and back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

A hot bed for covid thanks to the hotel taking the piss over the Christmas

naughto wrote: »

Something like 1 in 18 people in belmullet have tested positive

orm0nd wrote: »
    Done a whelan2 on my phone earlier. A realme 6 now has 3 vertical cracks full length of screen. Really liked that phone. Must check you tube to see can it be replaced. Still working 100%.

Have this current phone just over a year now. A record for me

Something like 1 in 18 people in belmullet have tested positive

Very bad alright. Herselfs parents would be fairly worried now.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »

Heard that alright. More to do with the hundreds who came home from the UK. Any case I know of down there can be traced to returning emigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

I'd say you have just jinxed it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That's it the phones screwed now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Think of all they are missing out on with no discos etc. I wonder are there affairs still going on with covid?

PM sent.

:D

It’s not normal for 17/18yo not to be out mixing and meeting. I feel awful sorry for them into their second year of no social life exactly at the time when a social life is so important

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

On my walk I pass what's obviously a mating ground, so they're all not missing it. If they want to enjoy the fruits of love they shouldn't be throwing the skins around........ along with bottles, tins, Mc donalds boxes and of course masks

I know that lake well. I often launched right there too beside the disabled fishing stand! It's a good paddle down to the bottom of the lake and back!

It’s a really nice forest in fairness and extra paths have been opened up in recent times to give alternative walks. I see an increasing number of mountain bikers using trails which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

wrangler wrote: »
    On my walk I pass what's obviously a mating ground, so they're all not missing it. If they want to enjoy the fruits of love they shouldn't be throwing the skins around........ along with bottles, tins, Mc donalds boxes and of course masks

In my day, "protection" meant something different! :D:D

Less than three hours sleep last night again. Not able to fart today have so little energy. Been pretty bad sleeping since Christmas, insomnia is a sort cumulative tiredness that just grinds you down.

• Advertisement

Less than three hours sleep last night again. Not able to fart today have so little energy. Been pretty bad sleeping since Christmas, insomnia is a sort cumulative tiredness that just grinds you down.

The young lad went through a six week spell of waking up multiple times every single night last year. Sleep deprivation ain't no fun. Found myself doing daft things like I'd boil the kettle, and when it was ready I'd go to put it into the fridge. But it'd take a few seconds to twig as to why exactly that wasn't going to work!

Advertisement