Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

40m2 Old Style New farm shed without planning

• 07-01-2021 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi

I would like to build an A shaped block and galvanised roof, old fashioned looking shed, roughly measuring 9m long X 4.4m wide, max ridge height 4.5metres., for storing stuff and messing about

There is already a haybarn, old shed and slatted unit in the yard and old wall of an old shed where I'm thinking of building the new shed.

The yard is around 400m from nearest neighbour and not in any sightlines that would affect them.

I'm thinking of starting in the next 2 or 3 weeks and building without planning. Do ye think it's risky without planning or would ye work away?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

The building might be exempted from Planning ( check the County Devt Plan ) Or could approach Planning Office in Council & show a rough sketch, location, etc.
    They usually will give advice on what if anything needed ( Ofter referred to as a Pre Planning Meeting )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It probably depends on the Council, but there were rules about the total size of existing sheds when we applied for a grant shed here >15 yrs ago. At that time there was quite a generous allowance for haysheds and other dry sheds I think. It wasn't as much for cattle sheds. We were told to get permission because of the grant anyway.

Other rules I think referenced the distance from the road etc.

Distance to nearest House ( Particularly if within 100 meters ) Can be VIP. So one needs be careful on that one ............. If it's not applicant-owned Council will often look for a letter of support from that Householder. If animal housing then one needs a plan for effluent off-take. If it's a machine shed Council can be more amenable for permission.

This can be a costly mistake, one which I nearly made ...
    Council ( In Cork & I suspect elsewhere ) dislike/ban the Old fashioned Shiny Sheets. Always better for Sheds to blend into the landscape & not act as a Beacon for Co Council Executives on the road. They want Colour coated or at minimum painted sheets. Anyway, I'm sure you know that just wanted to flag it up for ev one thinking of building.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Check out the link below which describe the various exemptions. No bare galvanised roof sheeting is one issue to note.

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/rural-economy/farm-management/Planning_Requirements_for_Farm_Building_Development.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 danpaddyandy

conseng wrote: »
    Check out the link below which describe the various exemptions. No bare galvanised roof sheeting is one issue to note.

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/rural-economy/farm-management/Planning_Requirements_for_Farm_Building_Development.pdf

Thanks very much for all yer info lads. That teagasc document shows a lot of exemptions and it looks like a 40m2 'dry barn' looks exempt.. Like the one I'm planning to build. Cheers

Advertisement