26-08-2005, 20:59   #1

Anyone used the Big Pig composter?

hi
I'm thinking of buying one of these (http://www.growgreensolutions.com/PA...rs.htm#JORA270) - they take anything and everything, and produce compost within 6 weeks apparently. don't smell and aren't too bulky. Has anyone got one of these and how do you find it? It costs a fortune (550 ex VAT), but I guess you make it back on reduced bin costs in the long run. why don't the government subsidise this kind of thing?
Advertisement
27-08-2005, 11:59   #2
Takeshi_Kovacs

sounds a bit too expensive , you should do a google, and see if you can make a homemade one...

i don't have any worrys with leftovers, i got two big hungry alsatians that will eat nearly anything ( except people.. they're nice doggies )
28-08-2005, 14:58   #3

Green Cone

I have been using the greencone - a organic food digester (www.greencone.ie) for over 3 months now without any problems.
it only cost €40 euro from the local council. It does not make compost like the big pig as the food decomposes into the ground.
It is worth a try and there is now smell from it.
09-09-2005, 23:35   #4
cuckoo

Wilkel, which council did you get the Green Cone from? It looks very interesting, especially as it takes all kitchen waste.
10-09-2005, 11:00   #5

Green Cone

CUCKOO - I GOT IT FROM Mayo County Council
Advertisement
10-09-2005, 22:19   #6

Been using Green Cone as well. Has taken all organic waste from kitchen, which is a lot, and it has kept up with it all summer.
Will have to empty it soon because of the volume that has been put into it.

Only real problem have been fruit flies, which I think is likely to be a problem with me with any system.
11-09-2005, 00:35   #7

don't suppose it takes light paper...or eco nappies?
25-09-2006, 15:38   #8

The Big Pig

I purchased the Big Pig about a year ago now and overall it has been great. It created great compost which it reduced to nothing and its dead handy 'cos of the fact that it takes meat, also extremely easy to use... It is pricey though but I figured it'd be worthwhile.

Overall great, but three downsides:

1. As far as I remember its says on the documentation that it lasts between 15 to 20 years... I'd be very surprised if mine is still in action in 5 years time. Its started to get a bit shakey already (the bin when full is VERY HEAVY) with the odd screw coming out and needing tightening...

2. During the hot summer the composting process speeded up too damn fast and its started to smell bad... this was solved by adding lots more sawdust than you normally would, pissed off a few neighbours by the time I figured this out

3. You need to know someone who has sawdust! This was a MAJOR problem for me as Grow Green Solutions claimed not to have any when I ran out of the sawdust they provided. Also it is next to IMPOSSIBLE to source a few bags of woodpellets for the composter. Wood pellets tend to be sold in bulk only.

The only serious issue that I have with it is the fact that it seems to be a little less robust than I'd like and I can't really see it lasting the long haul, (I'll probably have to do my own personal repairs to it to make it last the long haul)... saves me putting out an extra bag a week of rubbish which is at the end of the day the reason I bought it!
26-09-2006, 09:51   #9
yop

Wikel - Did you just ring them up to get it or what department?
Advertisement
08-10-2006, 21:47   #10

just rang 'em up - they took credit card over the phone and delivered in about 10 days.....
19-07-2008, 23:09   #11
etcetc

anybody else using this?

a review good or bad most appreciated
22-07-2008, 00:17   #12

woodies do bagged pellets. a bit expensive for fuel at about twice the cost of bulk..... but for the small qtys there..... it should eb ok.
29-08-2012, 12:46   #13
Jim Comic

i got the jk400 (very big one) last year and so far no probs, though somehow worms climbed up and got in but that's not an issue

the wood logs for home fireplaces are just fine re. the sawdust issue, just pop one in every now and then and they'll disintegrate after a few daily revolutions of the pig itself
08-01-2021, 16:26   #14
louise MchUGH

BIG PIG COMPOSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni_murdoch View Post
I purchased the Big Pig about a year ago now and overall it has been great. It created great compost which it reduced to nothing and its dead handy 'cos of the fact that it takes meat, also extremely easy to use... It is pricey though but I figured it'd be worthwhile.

Overall great, but three downsides:

1. As far as I remember its says on the documentation that it lasts between 15 to 20 years... I'd be very surprised if mine is still in action in 5 years time. Its started to get a bit shakey already (the bin when full is VERY HEAVY) with the odd screw coming out and needing tightening...

2. During the hot summer the composting process speeded up too damn fast and its started to smell bad... this was solved by adding lots more sawdust than you normally would, pissed off a few neighbours by the time I figured this out

3. You need to know someone who has sawdust! This was a MAJOR problem for me as Grow Green Solutions claimed not to have any when I ran out of the sawdust they provided. Also it is next to IMPOSSIBLE to source a few bags of woodpellets for the composter. Wood pellets tend to be sold in bulk only.

The only serious issue that I have with it is the fact that it seems to be a little less robust than I'd like and I can't really see it lasting the long haul, (I'll probably have to do my own personal repairs to it to make it last the long haul)... saves me putting out an extra bag a week of rubbish which is at the end of the day the reason I bought it!
Hi can I ask if you are still using your Big Pig and how you found it. We purchased one in October 2020 and have just emptied for first time Jan 8th 2021. Our first compost spells nice and looks good. Like you we added saw dust and soil.
26-01-2021, 07:48   #15
Bricriu

Very badly built; self-tapping screws are used where bolts are needed. Some of the self-tapping screws didn't 'anchor' properly
I substituted my own bolts for some of the screws; otherwise it would not have held together.
Shaky and started to rust after two years.
Doesn't make compost very fast.
Expected much, much more for the very high price.

Advice: make you own from wood and slab-insulation, or get a good DIY friend to make it for you.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion