Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay scene in Dublin?

Options
  • 02-07-2002 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a gay guy who up until now has never been on the scene - what I heard of it never really appealed to me. I met guys on the Internet (safely!) and was seeing someone for a while, but it kind of stopped recently. Anyway, long story short etc., he couldn't believe I'd never been on the scene (I'm 23) and it set me thinking. I'd like to know what other peoples experiences have been - is it as bitchy and meat-markety(!) as some people would have you believe or not? Are it and the Internet the only way to meet gay people in this country? Thanks for your replies! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

what I heard of it never really appealed to me
    There are a lot of stereotypes about the gay scene, much of it's promiscuity being publicised quite widely in the media. Put simply, the scene can be what you make of it yourself. There is, in my experience, a noticeable sleaze element in it. Observe that I said noticable, not widespread. For the most part the scene is no different than that of a normal night out, excepting of course that the couples are of the same sex.

I know what you mean when you ask if it is bitchy or meat-markety. Again this is a noticable element. I've sometimes literally felt eyes boring into me when I've sat with mates drinking (believe me I'm nothing special :) ). These are the same types that tend to *ahem* underdress and show off what should really be kept under wraps. Again, it is a butch stereotype, but it does exist, but I suppose the reason because it (the stereotype) is so prevalent is not because it is widespread, but because it is so noticable, and I'm sure that is the intention of behaving in this manner.

On the other side of the gay spectrum there are some camp types who do behave in a big Gay Al kind of way. I wouldn't necessarily call this bitchy, but it can sometimes get on my nerves a little if it's extreme. Again this is a stereotype that certainly exists but is by no means a typical person in such a pub/niteclub.

To tell you the truth, I don't know that much about the Dublin scene, I've only been up there a few times, and I've been in the George once. However, if it's anything like the rest of the country, or if it is anything like the reviews I have read, then this is pretty much what you can expect.

I would not advise you to head on your own. It would be preferable if you had a few friends, possibly even one good mate (who need not even be gay) to accompany you to a few nights out before you get to know some of the crowd who go there. (From what I have heard there are a lot of regulars in the gay scene in Dublin - that is certainly the case elsewhere). Alternatively you could go in a sort of 'observer' capacity and try to learn a little bit more firsthand without becoming actively involved - at least until you become a little more comfortable with the idea.

In relation to your question, going out to the pub/niteclub is probably the best way to meet gay people other than the internet. The vast majority of gay people I know I have actually met while going out in the gay scene. (I know one or two others through the intenet). Ummm, I really don't know many other ways of meeting other people, perhaps through support groups or something like that, although I personally would be a little suspicious of meeting people in an environ like that - don't let that put you off though.

Advertisement