Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-06-2011, 01:55   #1
lace

Anti-Gravity Yoga?

I only came across it tonight, seems like a strange way to exercise!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI3yFjLlMxg

Anybody tried it? Is it just a gimmick?
Advertisement
10-06-2011, 18:24   #2
MaeveD

My friend does it in Drogheda and loves it, although it's 25 euro for a drop in apparently
11-06-2011, 00:22   #3
lace

I'd really love to try it but commuting from Dublin to Drogheda for a fitness class would suck. I guess I'll just have to hope the craze catches on and some other gyms pick it up!
16-06-2011, 11:25   #4
pinkypinky

It's going to be starting in Swords in the next few weeks. More details when I have them.
16-06-2011, 22:57   #5
Hermione*

I think Open Minds in Peasre St have it, or something similar. Flying yoga, they call it: I'm assuming it's similar.
Advertisement
16-06-2011, 23:23   #6
strandroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione* View Post
I think Open Minds in Peasre St have it, or something similar. Flying yoga, they call it: I'm assuming it's similar.
Flying Yoga is another name for Acro Yoga (yoga with elements of partner work adapted from acrobatics).
Thanks from:
16-06-2011, 23:54   #7
Hermione*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhge View Post
Flying Yoga is another name for Acro Yoga (yoga with elements of partner work adapted from acrobatics).
Ah, I see. It wouldn't be my thing, so I haven't looked into it very much
02-07-2011, 15:32   #8
pinkypinky

The new place I mentioned is opening next week:

www.yoga4all.ie

Suzanne Kenny is a well-established teacher who has expanded into anti-gravity and opened at a new location in Swords.

I had a go on the hammocks this morning and it's brilliant fun and I can't wait to try it properly.
Thanks from:
07-07-2011, 16:57   #9
jeffontour

I did a taster class out in Suzanne's torture rooms, sorry studio, last night. I'm signed up for regular classes as a result.

I did pilates for about 15 months to help with my running and prevent injury but in the end drifted away. As I got a bit more proficient I found I was a little bored with the classes despite having good instructors who mixed things up a bit.

I was thinking of finding a new class to go to and the anti grav looks like being the one. It combines pilates, yoga, circuit training, gymnastics and medieval torture brilliantly. Perfect for someone like me who appreciates the control and strength pure yoga or pilates requires but lacks the focus to achieve it. You could focus on these elements in anti grav I'm sure, and would have to in order to achieve the more spectacular moves, but the mix of elements in the class last night was great. From apprehension to perspiration to relaxation all in the course of 90 minutes. Well worth a try!
Advertisement
08-07-2011, 10:30   #10
pinkypinky

I did my first class of it last night and want to echo what Jeff said above.

It was a tough workout combining a lot of different disciplines. You wouldn't need to have done yoga before but it would help. I can see my upper body strength really improving with it. I really enjoyed - love being upside down! The hammock would take a little getting used to but even by the end of the class I was much more comfortable with it.

Definitely worth trying for yourself!
08-07-2011, 14:41   #11
GoHardOrGoHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffontour View Post
I did a taster class out in Suzanne's torture rooms, sorry studio, last night. I'm signed up for regular classes as a result.

... and medieval torture....

Well worth a try!
Jeff you're a wimp! I didn't find it painful at all - maybe I spent too much time in the relaxing positions floating away!

I've also signed up for a pack of 5 classes. Absolutely love it. So much fun. Very easy too. It looks complicated in the video but you're doing the inverted stuff straight away on your first class with two teachers helping you all the way.

Love it!
08-07-2011, 22:05   #12
cazzerline

I attended Suzanne's class in Swords this morning! I would not be the biggest lover of Yoga as i have weak wrists! But i absolutly loved this. I was really surprised with how much i was able to do, as i haven't done any type of exercise in months. i was a little nervous to begin with but the two girls are so lovely and really put me at ease and had plenty of time to give everybody attention, if they were finding anything a bit difficult. I've signed up for the full course! Can't wait for the next one!! Thoroughly recommend it!!! :-)
14-07-2011, 16:21   #13
Namaste1

I have a yoga swing set up at home and I love it! tough work on the arms for some of them though!

It is great fun though, brings me back to my childhood or something, and doing relaxation in them is utter swinging heaven!

Must get down to a class someday now that it seems to be sweeping the nation! Wonder will it stick or be a faddy thing...?
25-05-2012, 06:58   #14
lizgal

is there any anti gravity yoga in galway?
28-09-2012, 10:56   #15
Awesome-O

I did a few classes in England and loved it, havn't got a car here yet and havn't found a class local enough for me to get to, can't wait to give it a go again, so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste1 View Post
I have a yoga swing set up at home and I love it! tough work on the arms for some of them though!
How does the home yoga swing work? Is it a permanent thing and how how much space does it take up?
Is the swing the same as the hammock? It looks slightly different from photos I've looked up?

Last edited by Awesome-O; 28-09-2012 at 11:03.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion