Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Angry Gay Man

• 02-12-2002 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭

I know this may thread on toes, but I think it is better to have the conversation than not.

I'm just wondering, from reading the "Adoption" topic, is there a phenomenon of the "Angry Gay Man" (a reference to the 1970s Angry Young Men in the UK), who demands rights, not because of their merits, but because they are gay? Those who are shouting loud, but their message is not being heard, simply because it is shouted and not rationalised.

Surely Adoption is an Adoption issue (I know there isn't a board - no trolls on this please), not a gay issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Er, yeah, to a degree this phenomenon exists - look at extremist gay groups like Outrage in the UK. That being said there are also definite cases of discrimination on the grounds of sexuality so it's to be expected that there are swings too far in the other direction as well.

I have no bloody idea what you're on about with regard to the adoption thread though. Someone asked about the idea of homosexual couples adopting children, that is very much an issue for this board and not for the "Adoption" board that doesn't exist. If you have a problem with the issue being discussed here or in that context, nobody is forcing you to read it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Shinji
    I have no bloody idea what you're on about with regard to the adoption thread though.
    It comes across as "I'm gay, give me adoption rights" as opposed to "I am a caring, financially stable, well adjusted adult interested in adopting a child (who just happens to be gay)".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Having read over the thread again, I think that's very much your own bias showing rather than anything in that thread coming through.

At present "a caring, financially stable, well adjusted adult interested in adopting a child (who just happens to be gay)" cannot adopt a child. The thread is about whether this should continue to be the case. At no point was the viewpoint you've just accused people of holding raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Victor
    It comes across as "I'm gay, give me adoption rights" as opposed to "I am a caring, financially stable, well adjusted adult interested in adopting a child (who just happens to be gay)".

I don't really think so either. I think both sides have put reasoned arguments across. Now these arguments may or may not be correct, but I do not think anyone has resorted to that sort of foot-stamping.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

In every activist cause there are people who are fvcktards who will shout and scream and burn stuff to get attention. Usually to the detriment of their "cause"

What gender person you like to go to bed with is unlikely to alter the standard distribution of such people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Actually "I'm gay, give me [the same] adoption rights" is a perfectly valid point.

It pisses me off that I couldn't adopt if I was in a relationship with a man. That doesn't mean I have plans to get divorced, shack up with the first gay man with parental instincts I come across, and start adopting batches of orphans.

It means that there is some ****heads judging one's choice of partners (and in the case of gays and lesbians, rather than bi's, all partners) on a totally spurious basis and making judgements that affect a major part of one's lives on it.

If you're queer and that doesn't piss you off then you are a doormat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

It means that there is some ****heads judging one's choice of partners (and in the case of gays and lesbians, rather than bi's, all partners) on a totally spurious basis and making judgements that affect a major part of one's lives on it.

If you're queer and that doesn't piss you off then you are a doormat.

Point in case of the "Angry Straight Man" existing also.

/me get's all angry at Jak for not identifying him as an angry bi man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Shinji
    I think that's very much your own bias showing rather than ...
    Perception maybe, bias I hope not.

Of course that perception is based on a debate over a contentious issue. Righteous anger has it's place, but that doesn't mean that the people who feel angry over such issues go through their entire lives with a chip on their shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

There are activists in every area of life. Personally I'm nervous of people with extreme views… about their motivations. I've never been a huge fan of positive discrimination but I do see that sometimes there is no other way to get people to do the right thing.

As for the adoption issue it's about suitability not sexuality.

There are activists in every area of life.
    Yes, and ever since the Campaign to Replace Jumping Up And Down with Fire as a Way to Heat the Cave (which has a crap acronym, but they were pre-literate, so that didn't matter) activists have done a lot of good :)
    There is a stereotype of activists as incapable of anything other than having opinions about stuff. Largely because that is what they do in a public role. When Larry Kramer was being interviewed on television would it have made more sense for him to:
    1. Talk about Gay Rights and AIDS activism.
    2. Talk about his favourite song from the current Top 20 singles.
    That doesn't mean he didn't have an opinion of the current Top 20 singles, just that it would have left the music journalists to write about Act-Up :)
    As for adoption issue it's about suitability not sexuality.
    Unfortunately the authorities don't always agree. That's why people get angry.

Advertisement