Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaging winds Thursday 13:00 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Shamanic wrote: »
    If only it was that simple! It's all booked via work so it's always planes, best bring a change of clothes could be in for a long wait!

If its a bumpy flight you might need a certain change of clothes when you land too !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

2saxxdt.png

Widespread inland 100-110kph gusts according to the GFS.

More intense gusts all along the west and northwest coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

I'm seriously thinking about grabbing a day off tomorrow and driving out towards the west (Achill Island perhaps?) in the morning to witness some of it... Massive winds and not a lot of rain, conditions look great. Anyone care to join? I'd be driving from Dublin area, leaving around 9-10am. By around 3pm I should know if I can take a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

2saxxdt.png

hmm, i hav the option to travel to Ennis 2moro, would there be stronger winds there than in dublin or roughly the same as Ennis is a bit further south?

Winger_PL wrote: »
    I'm seriously thinking about grabbing a day off tomorrow and driving out towards the west (Achill Island perhaps?) in the morning to witness some of it... Massive winds and not a lot of rain, conditions look great. Anyone care to join? I'd be driving from Dublin area, leaving around 9-10am. By around 3pm I should know if I can take a day off.

WBSCC.... " Weather Boards Storm Chasing Convoy" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Shamanic wrote: »
    Folks I know nothing about weather but don't kick me out just yet because I'm a serial lurker in these threads!! Just wondering if winds as such, if they transpire, would effect domestic flights? Supposed to flying back to Dublin from cork on Thursday at 5pm?

Are you flying Ryanair or Aer Arann? There will be a strong crosswind at Cork which would be the limiting factor. The 737 has a much higher crosswind limit than the ATRs, so Ryanair would be the better bet. Winds at Dublin will be straight down the runway, so although it will be very bumpy, I'd say traffic won't be too affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Looks windy for exposed hills :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

Su Campu wrote: »
    Are you flying Ryanair or Aer Arann? There will be a strong crosswind at Cork which would be the limiting factor. The 737 has a much higher crosswind limit than the ATRs, so Ryanair would be the better bet. Winds at Dublin will be straight down the runway, so although it will be very bumpy, I'd say traffic won't be too affected.

Usually fly ryanair so hopefully they'll grace with that this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I was supposed to be getting a ferry out to an island on the west coast Thursday evening, think I'll be giving that a miss. Would love to head out to see the sea though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

2saxxdt.png

So based on that chart, although the storm is unlikely to be as severe inland as the stoms of 1997, 1998 and 1990, with ground saturated and the peak winds expected to last about four- five hours(till around 4- 5pm) a lot of trees could be whipped over.

• Advertisement

So based on that chart, although the storm is unlikely to be as severe inland as the stoms of 1997, 1998 and 1990, with ground saturated and the peak winds expected to last about four- five hours(till around 4- 5pm) a lot of trees could be whipped over.

To be honest it's been so long so I experienced a damaging storm I'm not really sure what level of gusts would be needed to bring down branches/trees etc.

I have to point out though that gust chart I posted is the one from 3pm. I don't have access to those charts for later in the day but on lower res wind charts there are higher gusts for the east/southeast at 6pm and 9pm than on the 3pm one.

i'm thinking about going to Achill Island or the Erris Peninsula. Erris head looks the place to be if you want to experience the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wonder will the papers be sinmilar to this on Friday monirng

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/esb-in-allout-drive-to-repair-storm-damage-425050.html

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

irish1967 wrote: »
    Wonder will the papers be sinmilar to this on Friday monirng

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/esb-in-allout-drive-to-repair-storm-damage-425050.html

I'd say if any of the numbskull journalists take a peek on here, we'll be then having to deal with "Hurricane Carmen on the way" headlines!

i'm thinking about going to Achill Island or the Erris Peninsula. Erris head looks the place to be if you want to experience the worst of it.

I was thinking about the Menawn hill on the Achill, by the radio towers, 400m ASL, surely that'll be something?
    Where are you heading from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

If I didn't have work I'd be there. (well not exactly on the head itself but close enough :D) Not that far from my parents place.

To be honest it's been so long so I experienced a damaging storm I'm not really sure what level of gusts would be needed to bring down branches/trees etc.

I have to point out though that gust chart I posted is the one from 3pm. I don't have access to those charts for later in the day but on lower res wind charts there are higher gusts for the east/southeast at 6pm and 9pm than on the 3pm one.

Well, going on past experience trees have been whipped here with 70-75mph gusts. If memory serves me correctly the ground was fairly saturated on those occasions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Winds gust to 140km now on met eireann website did they upgrade it?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

The latest ME forecast has upgraded the storm to 140kph gusts:

Very windy and showery tomorrow. In fact stormy conditions are likely from mid afternoon and through the evening with gale force westerly winds and squalls of 100 to 140km/hr, most severe winds in parts of Connaught and Ulster.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

:eek::eek:

I beat you to it lol:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Hooter23 wrote: »
    I beat you to it lol:p

Great minds think alike :D

You have to laugh at the met check forecast is only says 30mph gusts for me tomorrow and when the weather is calm it's gives gusts up to 300mph:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Issued at 10 November 2010 - 12:18
    Severe weather warning
    Stormy conditions will affect Ireland Thursday afternoon, evening and for much of Thursday night.
    Gale force westerly winds will gust betwen 100
    and 120 km/hr generally, but gusts of up to 140 km/hr are expected in exposed parts of Connaught and Ulster. These winds are likely to lead to some structural damage and will be accompanied by high seas on Atlantic coasts.Winds will moderate considerably towards dawn on Friday.
    Valid 1200hrs Thursday 11/11/10 to 0600 hrs
    Friday 12/11/10

met eireann

I was thinking about the Menawn hill on the Achill, by the radio towers, 400m ASL, surely that'll be something?

I forgot about that place. It should be a tad windy at that height alright. If i go, i'll be heading from the Swinford area.

Can i be the camera man? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I am thinking of heading to Burtonport on the North West Coast of Co. Donegal. I remember the storms we used to get there when i was growing up was mental!!! I am trying to figure out from the charts what wind speed is likely there?

Can someone help me out?

Min wrote: »
    Issued at 10 November 2010 - 12:18
    Severe weather warning
    Stormy conditions will affect Ireland Thursday afternoon, evening and for much of Thursday night.
    Gale force westerly winds will gust betwen 100
    and 120 km/hr generally
    , but gusts of up to 140 km/hr are expected in exposed parts of Connaught and Ulster. These winds are likely to lead to some structural damage and will be accompanied by high seas on Atlantic coasts.Winds will moderate considerably towards dawn on Friday.
    Valid 1200hrs Thursday 11/11/10 to 0600 hrs
    Friday 12/11/10

met eireann

General gusts up to 120? Thats a big upgrade from this morning's forecast when gusts of 120 were limited only to exposed coastal areas.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Can i be the camera man? :cool:

I thought you were travelling to Ennis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

eskimocat wrote: »
    I am thinking of heading to Burtonport on the North West Coast of Co. Donegal. I remember the storms we used to get there when i was growing up was mental!!! I am trying to figure out from the charts what wind speed is likely there?

Can someone help me out?

Can't imagine it being too bad with a west wind, the islands will shield the worst of it. You need a north or north west wind for really bad seas. Further along the coast anywhere exposed to the open Atlantic would be a better bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

irish1967 wrote: »
    There are some charts that are worth framing ! (Red dot is me)

Dreamwind.jpg

Burtonport is roughly on the line above Irish, can't tell what the pressure is or what its likely to mean. Help please,:D pretty please :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement