Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories from the Celtic Tiger Years *Mod Warning in OP PLEASE READ*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

You must have been studying to be an English teacher...
    lol ok

end if year seminar some guest speaker

hated most in course got pissed

due to celtic tiger wine was top notch

about a few hundred e of wine being thrown out

i took it home on bus

some of wine was recorked

by the talk on de bus bus suitcase area wedged with expensive presents.

my 5 or 6 litres of wine lol u get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Uncle got me a summer job on a massive building site around 2003/2004 on my summer holidays.
    I would have been about 16 and was getting 100 euro a day working 8 or 9 until 4 or 5.
    2 or 3 weeks in I was informed I could work any Saturday I wanted for the morning and get paid 100 euro to work 9-12 so I was only too happy to take it.
    First Saturday I landed in I expected to have a full on morning so they could get their moneys worth out of me. Half 9 and still none of the other members of our company were on site, rang a few of the lads and couldn't get them, eventually got the foreman. Said none of the other lads would be in they don't bother with Saturdays(they would've been on a lot more than 100 a day) but for me to do a bit until 12 if I could find any work and if not just hang around and make sure to sign out at the security hut. I made sure to get plenty done.
    Come Monday I was expecting to be asked what had I done the Saturday but not a peep,later in the week I asked what was the story with the following Saturday and was told I could come in again if I want just make sure to sign in as once I'm there they'll get paid for me being there.
    After that my Saturdays consisted of landing into work hungover/still drunk, walking around the site so my face was seen if there ever was any question of me actually being there. I'd then go to the portaloo and have a nap until half 11 and get up do another lap of the site and head home. Handy money for a teenager :pac:
    On the same job one weekday I needed a key to get into a hut for some tools but couldn't find anyone, one of the areas we were working on was plastering in a massive room for a tank and had a scaffold that went about 30 foot up and was the width of the room.
    Climbed up it to see if I could find anyone and there was basically my entire crew playing a game of poker and listening to a football match, must've been the Euros on or something.
    Wonder how that company ever went bust. What I also wonder is how much they were getting paid for my overtime Saturday to be able to give me 100 for a few hours doing nothing. Crazy stuff.

lol ok

i took it home on bus

Now turn it into a poem. You're nearly there.

Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

lol dont care do ye want an essay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I found during that era that what people said they had and what they really had were two completely different things.

And the idea that borrowing a million made you a millionaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Motivator wrote: »
    Some comedown from having an empire of nightlife spots and a nice Porsche GT outside the front door.

I admire someone who keeps having a go. no shame in starting again in a less glamorous or less lucrative venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭pgj2015

just thought of a funny one, I remember someone on boards saying they were in a pub during the tiger and some big shot shouts out "im the greatest man in Ireland" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I was in school for all of it (did the leaving in 2007) so didn’t even really realise what was going on. My family never had much money and held low paid jobs through the boom and recession. Good thing meant the recession didn’t have a negative impact on us either. And was a great time to be in college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

100% agreed. There are many around still trying to pretend that the recession didn't affect them when in fact they haven't two cents to rub together in reality. They can't let go of the fake Celtic Tiger image they created for themselves from borrowed money.

I've been fairly shocked that lessons have not been learned by many people in this latest boom. Plenty of people still putting themselves up to their eyeball in debt with huge mortgages, brand new cars and credit cards the last few years. Its a massively risky house of cards at the moment and when it goes wrong we all pay.

I think as a nation, a small bit more collective cop on is needed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pgj2015 wrote: »
    He was right. a chipper is a business that does well in a recession.

Chippers, takeout pizza and cinemas all did pretty well as they were 'cheap' (well, ish) treats compared to sit down restaurants and nights on the tiles. Probably the only wise choice they made based on that story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Odelay

Does anyone have a link to the school teacher on Liveline complaining during the bust about how was she meant to keep up repayments on her holiday home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

One more slightly darker one that shows some of the greed and criminality of the boom. A wealthy local business man noticed an estate being built on some of his land one day.
    Long story short, turns out his nephew bribed a person in the registry of Deeds to change the title of the land to his name. Applied for and got planning for the houses. The houses still stand today. I think the Uncle was eventually compensated by the State. Not sure how the family relationship is...

One lighter one. Was in the bike shop one day getting some bits around 2005. Kid of about 13 comes in to pick up a brand new BMX costing a few hundred. Owner is saying what a nice bike it is etc. Kid says ‘I know, this is a replacement. I got another last week and smashed it up doing tricks.’ The parents had give him the money to replace it!

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

100% agreed. There are many around still trying to pretend that the recession didn't affect them when in fact they haven't two cents to rub together in reality. They can't let go of the fake Celtic Tiger image they created for themselves from borrowed money.

200% agree. Some will never admit that their high life was bought on credit , and even when it was all repossessed it was someone else's fault but they're still acting the big shot . Fur coat and no knickers comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Pint of Guinness was around 3.50 in Dublin while in the hotel I worked in Tipperary we charged 3.15.

Reasonable at the time

I got abused by Dublin couples about our prices. Why oh why do customers think the minimum wage student decides the prices.

Meanwhile their BMW X5 outside was depreciating hundreds by the week. BMW X5 was incredibly popular during the boom. Most owners wouldn't know how or have the strength to hitch a horse trailer but for some reason wanted such a vehicle.

Go-to line to a night porter who refuses service for a drink was "I´ll buy this hotel in the morning". But then I knew the people who said this had creditors all around the town.

The richest person in our mid sized town in Tipp came in a few evenings a week for a few quiet pints and a read of the newspaper. Courteous to staff and we all liked him. Top fella and never felt the need to put down minimum wage workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Uncle got me a summer job on a massive building site around 2003/2004 on my summer holidays.
    I would have been about 16 and was getting 100 euro a day working 8 or 9 until 4 or 5.
    2 or 3 weeks in I was informed I could work any Saturday I wanted for the morning and get paid 100 euro to work 9-12 so I was only too happy to take it.
    First Saturday I landed in I expected to have a full on morning so they could get their moneys worth out of me. Half 9 and still none of the other members of our company were on site, rang a few of the lads and couldn't get them, eventually got the foreman. Said none of the other lads would be in they don't bother with Saturdays(they would've been on a lot more than 100 a day) but for me to do a bit until 12 if I could find any work and if not just hang around and make sure to sign out at the security hut. I made sure to get plenty done.
    Come Monday I was expecting to be asked what had I done the Saturday but not a peep,later in the week I asked what was the story with the following Saturday and was told I could come in again if I want just make sure to sign in as once I'm there they'll get paid for me being there.
    After that my Saturdays consisted of landing into work hungover/still drunk, walking around the site so my face was seen if there ever was any question of me actually being there. I'd then go to the portaloo and have a nap until half 11 and get up do another lap of the site and head home. Handy money for a teenager :pac:
    On the same job one weekday I needed a key to get into a hut for some tools but couldn't find anyone, one of the areas we were working on was plastering in a massive room for a tank and had a scaffold that went about 30 foot up and was the width of the room.
    Climbed up it to see if I could find anyone and there was basically my entire crew playing a game of poker and listening to a football match, must've been the Euros on or something.
    Wonder how that company ever went bust. What I also wonder is how much they were getting paid for my overtime Saturday to be able to give me 100 for a few hours doing nothing. Crazy stuff.

That's incredible, but I well believe it. My dad and my uncles have worked in construction for the last 30 years, and the money during the boom was incredible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

lol ok

i took it home on bus

Dafuq? Makes even less sense than the first attempt !

That's incredible, but I well believe it. My dad and my uncles have worked in construction for the last 30 years, and the money during the boom was incredible.

On the same job there were lads my age painting(not trained/skilled decorators) just walked in and given a roller to paint walls and were getting 25euro an hour :eek:
    Also now that I think of it this was the same job that had a smoking area that stunk of weed every second of the day and another thing was each welder had their own employee that followed them around with a fire extinguisher all day in case he went up in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Because the company is making more than enough money off your back during the week , the crew will work hard for the week and cover themselves , Saturday work is like a bonus or tiding up.
    Last thing the crew needs is a student ringing the foreman :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

On the same job there were lads my age painting(not trained/skilled decorators) just walked in and given a roller to paint walls and were getting 25euro an hour :eek:
    Also now that I think of it this was the same job that had a smoking area that stunk of weed every second of the day and another thing was each welder had their own employee that followed them around with a fire extinguisher all day in case he went up in flames.

The so called dilution of trades. I'd heard about that, people that didn't serve time as apprentices calling themselves carpenters, etc... I think most of them were found out when things went wallop.

cj maxx wrote: »
    Because the company is making more than enough money off your back during the week , the crew will work hard for the week and cover themselves , Saturday work is like a bonus or tiding up.
    Last thing the crew needs is a student ringing the foreman :(

Ah here, I wasn't that stupid to be ringing him if I was thinking I'd hang someone. He was basically one of the lads that just happened to be the foreman as he was there the longest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Odelay wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the school teacher on Liveline complaining during the bust about how was she meant to keep up repayments on her holiday home?

No, but I remember on the RTE new some feature about a Dubai property exhibition in Ballsbridge, and RTE were there a did a quick minute interview with 2 young teachers who were buying investment properties in Dubai / came out having paid a deposit. They looked only late twenties / early thirties, wonder how it worked out for them.

The estate agents loved teachers and lecturers as they all said they were the biggest buyers of holiday homes during the tiger period.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tasty wee lass that ching ching wan. What ever happened to her?

Got reposessed in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its not the same now. Banks will lend you 3.5 times your salary . and you need to save a 20 per cent deposit .the banks are regulated .
    Our whole economy is not based on the building industry .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

cj maxx wrote: »
    200% agree. Some will never admit that their high life was bought on credit , and even when it was all repossessed it was someone else's fault but they're still acting the big shot . Fur coat and no knickers comes to mind

I know what you mean. People near me, tens of millions in debt, but still part of the horsey set. They look down on me, and I don't owe a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Came back from London in 2000 - almost 20 years to the day :). I'd worked in London for 5 years since graduating. Made a few quid but nothing crazy. Saved enough for a deposit on a gaff.

Got a job with a tier one contractor. Was earning ok money but decided to jump ship after 12 months. They had an interesting expenses scam going on where you pretty much made up your travel expenses and got a fair bit of your salary tax free. I couldn't believe it coming from London where everything was pretty much above board.

Anyway as things evolved over 2002 - 2007 you heard some crazy stories. Like one work colleague who bought a €3000 tv / home cinema system on his credit card in xtravision On a random Tuesday night while returning a DVD. Same guy bought a €60k beamer on tick.

Another guy bought a really nice apartment in a fancy development in the dublin mountains. It was an old stately home that was converted into high end apartments. He had a €65k Audi and for good measure another house in his home town rented out as an "investment". Guy was like 2 or 3 years out of college.

Another couple we knew flew our to Bulgaria for a property expo. We fought up when they came back - decided to buy 2 apartments on sofia such was the value.

Banks were sending out loans for €40k presented in your post box every now and again.

We knew couples with 7 or 8 properties. Absolutely up to their eyes. But played the banks for years after the crash and came out the other end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

pgj2015 wrote: »
    He was right. a chipper is a business that does well in a recession.

May even have been a step up, given that the other industry was steeped in bull sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Say again? English please....

I understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

80's weren't that bad , no one had any debt,didn't have a bank account until the mid 90's, everything you were paid was yours to spend as you please, nightclubs were full every weekend ,some even on weeknights, 2009 was different , whole place went wallop overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Forget this one.
    was in college in dublin was at a talk by some clown. After wine had row with advertising and marketing clowns. at end about 12 bottles of wine 5 or 6 just opened.
    Pissed, staff said take them.
    like a trooper marched to home digs.
    on bus next day got home.
    Christmas 23rd de loads of tarquins and soairses.
    All de way back hearing how expensive presents they had all bought.
    i started sweating, i had all de wine in me bag.
    got home checked corks bout a millimeter on a good few from coming off....

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

My ould lad brought a villa out in Turkey. Fair play to him still managed to keep the mortgage going during the recession. Its now fully paid for and is used regularly for holidays by most in the immediate family.

Advertisement