Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Can a mod come in here and clean out the comedians??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I've just had a very unnerving experience two minutes ago. My usual routine in the evenings is to get in the door, drop my work stuff in the kitchen then head upstairs for a relaxing few minutes perched on my throne and flick through the latest threads on Boards. So there I was, reading this thread and I clearly heard someone walk out of the spare room, across the landing and down the stairs.

I got my hurley stick from the head of the bed and did a search of the house, I swear when I got to the top of the stairs there was someone standing just inside the kitchen door. I've checked every room, closing the doors behind me and there's nobody here. I can still hear someone moving about in the sitting room now even though I know it's empty.

I'm not a happy bunny at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I've just had a very unnerving experience two minutes ago. My usual routine in the evenings is to get in the door, drop my work stuff in the kitchen then head upstairs for a relaxing few minutes perched on my throne and flick through the latest threads on Boards. So there I was, reading this thread and I clearly heard someone walk out of the spare room, across the landing and down the stairs.

I got my hurley stick from the head of the bed and did a search of the house, I swear when I got to the top of the stairs there was someone standing just inside the kitchen door. I've checked every room, closing the doors behind me and there's nobody here. I can still hear someone moving about in the sitting room now even though I know it's empty.

I'm not a happy bunny at all.
    He should be behind you right about now BOO ! ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The question is,what was put in her tea??:eek:

yes, was it the priest?

did she feel she was "touched up" in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

This is one of my fav threads on boards. I get a little excited when I see a new post :)

\im a saddo :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Tilly wrote: »
    This is one of my fav threads on boards. I get a little excited when I see a new post :)

\im a saddo :p

I got excited when I saw a new post and it was you posting about getting excited about seeing new posts :p .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

I don't remember this ever happening, I was about 3 years old at the time. My parents only told me when I was around 16 or 17.

Apparently one day, 3 year old me was sitting at the kitchen table drawing a picture. My mam and dad were at the kitchen table too, and as far as I know an aunt and uncle were also present.

Apparently I just stopped drawing my little picture and looked up at my mam and said "I was here before". My mam asked me what I was talking about, and I replied "I was here before. Except I was living in a different house. And you weren't my mammy, I had a different mammy".

So obviously my mam and dad were sitting there like "what is this fella on about?" so my mam asked me who my mother was back when I was here before and I said her name was Lydia Kaplan.

They tried asking me more questions but I just went back to drawing my picture and never mentioned it again. Apparently a few times afterwards they would ask me more questions and ask if I knew anyone called Lydia Kaplan but I would just say nothing.

Not really a creepy story, but it's an odd one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

How many people are now googling Lydia Kaplan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I wanted to post this anonymously but I can't seem to. But anyway, I was born three months prematurely and naturally my mother, after experiencing two successive miscarriages and my brother being premature by a month, was understandably afraid I wouldn't survive. I always brush this off when she says it, it was 1993 when I was born so my chances of survival I think would've been quite good. However, my mother and father always say how close I came to not pulling through. My father didn't think I'd ever make it. My mother was terrified I would come out of the hospital attached to a oxygen machine like other premature children were on and possibly have breathing issues and other complications for the rest of my life. But here I am 100% healthy and happy.

My mother only told me about this experience she had when I was born this year and I couldn't believe it. She told me that while I got whisked off to the neo-natal unit she was praying frantically that I would be okay. Being away from home (we were living in London at the time) probably made her more anxious. She says in that moment she saw Our Lady above her (that she can still clearly see to this day no doubt in her mind), who told her that I would be okay. Just to set the record straight my mother is not given to hyperbole, she is not devoutly religious and she obviously had zero drugs in her system at the time. I laughed it off thinking she was joking but my mum was deadly serious and said she knew what she saw. She hadn't ever revealed to anyone before then as she would worry people thought she was crazy!:pac: It gave me the shivers anyway. But here I am just like that woman said; completely healthy with zero complications. :)

Another weird experience I remember having was after my grandmother passed away. I was devastated as she was my only living grandparent I had ever known. I cried nearly every night for a little while after her death but I remember I would constantly have vivid dreams about her and I'd talk to her in the dreams about how sad I was that she was gone and other more mundane stuff. I never remember if she spoke back to me, I think she did once but she'd always be there smiling at me. As I gradually got over her death, the dreams because less frequent until I had my final dream in which I said goodbye to her. I haven't had a dream about her since. I know that you tend to have dreams about what is on your mind but I really do believe she was there to comfort me.

My aunt had a similar dream about her mother years after she passed away (she had died when my aunt and mother were in their late twenties of a heart attack a year after their father had died of the same). She told me that in the dream she met her mother rushing down the road and stopped her. She asked her if she was happy where she was and her mother replied that she was very happy but she had to get going. She has never forgotten that dream. I've had a dream before about my maternal grandparents, which since I never got to see them, felt like a strange but comforting dream to me.

I've also had dreams with them and my paternal grandparents in Irish, or at least it was supposed to be Irish which was weird.:pac: Both sets of grandparents could speak Irish but my paternal grandparents were from Connemara and thus fluent speakers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Sorry for the double post but just remembered this!

I once had a really vivid dream of a little boy that was supposed to be my son. He was gorgeous and as stupid as it sounds I felt so peaceful in the dream like this really was my future son that I was looking at. I know it's a silly thing to say but it has remained in my head for ages really vividly after having the dream.

Also though this incident was just a dream it definitely unnerved me. I was sitting in the the house in the dream when these men with guns and knives came into the house and shot and killed my family. I could see some at the window too. I remember running into the living room and managing to kill two of them. However the third man I was faced with I shot numerous times, (I'd grabbed the gun off one of the guys I'd killed, and the way cruel dreams work it had no effect on him and he plunged the knife he was holding straight into my heart. I remember stumbling out to the door and slowly feeling myself dying. Then everything went black and I woke up. When I came on stairs I was still sweating and my heart was racing when I came into the living room as if I thought that man would be there!:pac: It was a horrible dream though. Took me a few minutes to relax.

Once had a dream too that a crow got into the house and pecked my face off!:eek: It was horrible I remember my brothers telling me not to look in the mirror and when I did I could see my face was horribly pocked and scarred. I can tell you I jumped out of my bed to make sure my face was still in tact when I got up!:pac: I hate dreams like that that shake you completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Was talking to a young lad in work the other day, said he was voting Fianna Fail in the next election. Shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

About six or seven years ago I went on holiday to Spain for a few weeks. Before I left I learned that my Dad's best friend and my godfather was terminally ill with cancer.

I met with him before I left and found it all very upsetting, he was so dosed up on meds and so gravely ill that he didn't recognise me, and was a million miles away from the strapping, confident, larger-than-life guy I always knew.

One stand-out memory I'll always have is of my mam telling me how she really worried about my choice of college course once I'd done my Leaving, and my godfather was the one who eased her mind. He was quite successful and revered professionally and simply told her, "let her follow her star."

I never felt right about going to Spain after this news, but off I went. About a week in, one night, I just couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned and eventually at about 5am drifted off into a feverish restless semi-coma, where I dreamt my godfather was in the room, sitting on a chair in the corner smiling and having the chats.

He said "I'm very proud of you Beks, keep following your star."

I woke up to my Dad's phone call a few minutes later; he had just passed away at home, around the same time I had that dream.

Not really creepy or unnerving I guess, I felt an extraordinary sense of calm in that moment and any time I've thought about him since because of that dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Something similar to the post above happened me (too many genuinely creepy/unnerving dreams to mention, but this one sticks out as the real one!). I had moved to the country a few months previously, in 1995 - gorgeous summer, minding a house for a friend and the house had no ESB or running water, no road directly to it and I had no car and no phone. Reason I'm saying that is because I always distrusted this kind of story and am usually sceptical enough to think oh, they must have heard, been in touch, etc.

One early morning I woke after dreaming about my maternal granddad. In the dream he was trying to give me a book (one I recognised as his wine recipe notebook!) and I remember thinking in the dream that I must ask him for his recipe for gorse wine when we had more time......Then in the dream he started crying....not badly, but just a few tears, and then I woke up.

Thought no more of it and banished it like any other dream to the back of my mind. That afternoon I had to hitch into town for shopping and in my local shop, I was told to phone home straight away, as my family had no other way of getting hold of me. My granddad had died that morning from a heart attack brought on by the angina he'd had for the previous 10 years. He'd just made gorse wine the day before.

Edit: I inherited the notebook :-) I also miss my Granddad still....we were very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Freaked me out proper this thread has. Some of the more believable stories have been the worst. It's been hard to sleep for the last day or so.

Got one of my own that proper freaked me out so Ill post it once I get a few details right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A weird one which I experienced yesterday. Nothing major but I just can't find any logical explanation for it.

Myself and my wife were sitting on our couch just chatting when suddenly behind us we could hear the sound of glass against glass. A noise loud enough it startled both of us. I turned around to see the fruit bowl that was on the glass table there and the two apples that were left in it moving around inside it. Not for long mind they stopped after a second as if someone was after spinning them. My first thought was that the height coming in the window might have cracked the fruit bowl and made all that happen but the bowl was in perfect condition. No one was near the table, the closest was ourselves and were 8 to 10 feet away.

Not scary at all but I have absolutely zero explanation for it. :confused:

Right, so I appear to be a bit of a weirdness magnet, some strange things have happened to me in the past and I've lost hours, it's really freaked me out. Here's a couple of things that have happened to me.

I'm a recent immigrant to Poland, settled in here as an English teacher and been slowly adapting to a new culture, language etc. So a few of us expats one night got together for dinner on a Saturday night, just five of us (2 Poles, 2 Brits and me). This is only about a month or so ago so I'm still fairly freaked out by it all. We have a nice dinner, few drinks, then we have some vodka and it's after that the weird **** starts to happen.

Cut to midday the next day. I wake up on my living room floor, half dressed and face down. My head is pounding, I feel nauseous and my arms and legs have cuts and bruises all over them. I'm missing a shoe. I've loadsa unanswered messages on my phone from concerned friends. I slowly begin to piece the story together while my battered body tries to repair itself..

Apparently, sometime just before midnight, I declared I was going to visit some bar in the town, completely out of the blue. My friends say I was like a man possessed, I lurched from the flat, refusing to let them stop me. They heard me stumble down the stairs before leaving. Now bear in mind, I am normally a young man of consummate grace and agility. This aberration in my behaviour alone was enough to have them concerned.

Now they didn't know if I made it to the bar. And neither do I. I'm scared. Where was I?

I try to forget about it but my dreams are plagued by dark memories, loss of equilibrium, uncertain geometries. Its like the memories are there but unclear. Clouded, indistinct. I didn't feel comfortable at all because I didn't know what happened. Knowing I don't know is just disturbing me. The odd feelings intensify when one of my students tells me that he saw me in the bar that night. My blood runs cold at this and I felt a little bit unsteady at the time.

I have no recollection of being there at all!

Worse he tells me that he saw me in conversation with some man. I can't remember his face. Nor what the discussion was about.

It's indeed most worrying to lose hours from your life. I'm understandably a bit disturbed by this all, I'd swear some malevolent entity is causing it but maybe I'm just paranoid. Or I've watched too many films. But questions remain.

1. Where is my shoe?

2. Who was the man?

3. What suddenly came over me to precipitate these events?

I'm looking over my shoulder. Been afraid to visit the bar since. Why was I there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Quazzie wrote: »
    A weird one which I experienced yesterday. Nothing major but I just can't find any logical explanation for it.

Myself and my wife were sitting on our couch just chatting when suddenly behind us we could hear the sound of glass against glass. A noise loud enough it startled both of us. I turned around to see the fruit bowl that was on the glass table there and the two apples that were left in it moving around inside it. Not for long mind they stopped after a second as if someone was after spinning them. My first thought was that the height coming in the window might have cracked the fruit bowl and made all that happen but the bowl was in perfect condition. No one was near the table, the closest was ourselves and were 8 to 10 feet away.

Could one have been at a strange angle and gravity finally took it's toll and toppled whatever arrangement they were lying in which disturbed the two of them in the bowl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Could one have been at a strange angle and gravity finally took it's toll and toppled whatever arrangement they were lying in which disturbed the two of them in the bowl?

Possibly. I can't remember seeing them beforehand to see what angle they were at. That's what I told my wife must've happened as she'd be moving out if she thought for a second that anything "spooky" was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Went to a library to renew a book ,i discovered there s someone else
    with the same name as me living in dublin,
    when i was trying to renew a book on the library computer .
    my name is unusual,
    something like oliver grant for example .
    not a common name .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Bet ya you're really Grant Oliver.
    Snakey focker ya, almost had me!

• Advertisement

Reiver wrote:
    It's indeed most worrying to lose hours from your life. I'm understandably a bit disturbed by this all, I'd swear some malevolent entity is causing it but maybe I'm just paranoid. Or I've watched too many films. But questions remain.

I used to lose chunks of time like that, I saw doctors about it and they couldn't help, it got progressively worse and now there's a 6ish year period that I remember very little about. Thanks to finally seeing a neurologist and going on medication for temporal lobe epilepsy, some of it is starting to slowly come back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Quazzie wrote: »

Most likely:

Apple = biodegradable fruit which starts to rot from the time it is taken from the tree, therefore it is in constant flux. A number of apples resting together inside a concave surface will move as their mass alters, if one is balancing on another it could readjust suddenly, causing movement and sound, the resulting release of energy. Nature at its most awesome......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Reiver wrote: »
    Right, so I appear to be a bit of a weirdness magnet, some strange things have happened to me in the past and I've lost hours, it's really freaked me out. Here's a couple of things that have happened to me.

I'm a recent immigrant to Poland, settled in here as an English teacher and been slowly adapting to a new culture, language etc. So a few of us expats one night got together for dinner on a Saturday night, just five of us (2 Poles, 2 Brits and me). This is only about a month or so ago so I'm still fairly freaked out by it all. We have a nice dinner, few drinks, then we have some vodka and it's after that the weird **** starts to happen.

Cut to midday the next day. I wake up on my living room floor, half dressed and face down. My head is pounding, I feel nauseous and my arms and legs have cuts and bruises all over them. I'm missing a shoe. I've loadsa unanswered messages on my phone from concerned friends. I slowly begin to piece the story together while my battered body tries to repair itself..

Apparently, sometime just before midnight, I declared I was going to visit some bar in the town, completely out of the blue. My friends say I was like a man possessed, I lurched from the flat, refusing to let them stop me. They heard me stumble down the stairs before leaving. Now bear in mind, I am normally a young man of consummate grace and agility. This aberration in my behaviour alone was enough to have them concerned.

Now they didn't know if I made it to the bar. And neither do I. I'm scared. Where was I?

I try to forget about it but my dreams are plagued by dark memories, loss of equilibrium, uncertain geometries. Its like the memories are there but unclear. Clouded, indistinct. I didn't feel comfortable at all because I didn't know what happened. Knowing I don't know is just disturbing me. The odd feelings intensify when one of my students tells me that he saw me in the bar that night. My blood runs cold at this and I felt a little bit unsteady at the time.

I have no recollection of being there at all!

Worse he tells me that he saw me in conversation with some man. I can't remember his face. Nor what the discussion was about.

1. Where is my shoe?

2. Who was the man?

3. What suddenly came over me to precipitate these events?

I'm looking over my shoulder. Been afraid to visit the bar since. Why was I there?

Ya gots pisshed brah!
    Nare a worry about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

RONAN p77
    there,s an article in the sunday times magazine, 3 weeks ago,about a woman,
    she,s 40, woke up 1 day, she lost all memory, between 16 and 40 .
    she woke up and had the memory of 16 year old.
    This is a very rare medical condition .
    AFter 6 weeks her memory came back .
    She had to pretend to her 12 year old son that she was 40,
    even though he had the mind of a 16 year old girl.
    i can post back here the name of it ,tomorrow.
    its called something syndrome.
    she had to read through her diary to find out what she did from 16- 40 years of age .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Prob posted this before..

Many moons ago in Edinburgh (about 2001-2) I was walking from Leith Walk to Waverley station to get the train home.

I had 30 mins to wait for my train so went into the BK for a quick bit food. Rather than sitting there I walked around the block whilst eating (as the station is built with a office in the middle) and became aware of a male following me.

I had to phone my brother from a payphone, of which there were 20+ in a line. The male followed me and stood at the phone next to me. 20 free phones and he stood next to me..

Anyway walked around the block again.. still following. Ducked into a corner and peeped out and waved at him..

I ran then to the first train Glasgow train and jumped of at Haymarket to get on my own train to Fife..

Who he was or what he wanted I dont know..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭La Mer

So I discovered last night that someone used my credit card to buy some Italian food in London (at least the feecker has a good taste).. Bank canceled the card and they said that they will refund me and will investigate the matter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭RichT

La Mer wrote: »
    So I discovered last night that someone used my credit card to buy some Italian food in London (at least the feecker has a good taste).. Bank canceled the card and they said that they will refund me and will investigate the matter..

Is that a Creepypasta story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

dubscottie wrote: »
    Who he was or what he wanted I dont know..

A rape, I'm guessing. Sounds like you had a VERY lucky escape! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

I had a creepy incident about 5 years ago. We live in a relatively new house (built in 2001), but my OH always felt there were strange noises and got an uncomfortable feeling in certain rooms.

Anyway, it was a few days before Xmas eve and the tree was up, full of decorations. Kids were in bed and we watching TV, but the dog was acting strange. She wouldn't relax and kept staring at the corner of the room, just above the Xmas tree. BTW, she started doing this for a few months even after the tree came down. We thought it was odd, but didn't think anything more of it. Then, all of a sudden, we heard a bell ring (there was a small bauble on the tree with a little bell inside, so you had to shake it to hear the noise). Both myself and my OH just stared at each other in complete shock! There was no way this could have rang on its own. I even got up to check that the decoration wasn't moving, but it was stationary on the tree!

I haven't encountered anything as creepy since then, but as I mentioned, the dog did continue to stare at that corner of the room as if she could see something or someone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

?

Yea, I've had a few run ins with the auld amnesia demon myself. From meticulous research I discovered he drew his energy largely from the twin sources of alcohol and cocaine. Crafty auld divil that he is he even managed to erase all recollection of me being best man at a wedding and standing for a cousins child (it was several years later before I found out which one!) He has deprived me of the memories of countless sexual encounters and thankfully the much less frequent episodes of fisticuffs (I'm a lover not a fighter:D) I have by now falsified many of the memories by accepting the recounted tales of companions as reliable evidence - but some solo excursions are alas to remain forever lost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

jungleman wrote: »
    I don't remember this ever happening, I was about 3 years old at the time. My parents only told me when I was around 16 or 17.

Apparently one day, 3 year old me was sitting at the kitchen table drawing a picture. My mam and dad were at the kitchen table too, and as far as I know an aunt and uncle were also present.

Apparently I just stopped drawing my little picture and looked up at my mam and said "I was here before". My mam asked me what I was talking about, and I replied "I was here before. Except I was living in a different house. And you weren't my mammy, I had a different mammy".

So obviously my mam and dad were sitting there like "what is this fella on about?" so my mam asked me who my mother was back when I was here before and I said her name was Lydia Kaplan.

They tried asking me more questions but I just went back to drawing my picture and never mentioned it again. Apparently a few times afterwards they would ask me more questions and ask if I knew anyone called Lydia Kaplan but I would just say nothing.

Not really a creepy story, but it's an odd one!

http://geilsfuneralhomes.com/lydia-theresa-kaplan/

Recognise yourself in there? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Here's one that scared the crap out of us at the time but wasn't supernatural.

I used to go camping by the side of a local lake,the same lake was mentioned very early on in the thread as having someone's skull found in it years ago but I've been living around here for 37 years and never heard of that. It's very deep and the water in it is very dark, something to do with the boggy soil in the surrounding area. Back in the late 80s there was a big thing about a monster in it, I think it even made the local paper, but the river feeding it is way too shallow for anything of significant size to make its way into the lake. All that is kind of irrelevant though.

The only real way of getting to the area we camped was to walk along the railway line, then down a short path to a clearing in the trees about 20' from the lakes edge. It was the eary 90s so I was in my early teens, I went camping with my cousin, who was a similar age. We spent the evening fishing but caught nothing. We started a small fire, as always, and threw some sausages wrapped in tinfoil on the fire, that's what we always ate when we went camping and at the time I thought they tasted far far better than cooked in any other way.

We turned in when it got dark, it was summer so that was fairly late, stayed awake for another hour or so trying to scare each other with ghost stories and finally drifted off to sleep. I wish I knew as many freaky family stories now as I did back then, I'd fill an entire thread on my own. About two in the morning we both woke up at the same time. There was someone walking around outside. This is a fairly remote area and not one people happen to be walking around at any time of day let alone the middle of the night.

We could hear them out by the campfire, then getting closer and closer to the tent, right up to the flap/zipper at the front. I don't mind admitting I almost crapped my pants. We both panicked and started shouting some bull that people in their early teens think is macho. We didn't hear what the person outside was up to because we were screaming and shouting so loud. When we eventually stopped everything was quiet outside.

It took about 15 minutes before we built up the courage to open the tent and go out for a look around. There was nobody there but we didn't look all that hard before going back inside. It took ages to get back to sleep but we managed it. A few hours later I woke up to the sound of an incredibly loud horn. I didn't know if I had dreamed it or actually heard it. It went off again and we both went out to see what it was. It was the train, the driver had spotted the tent through the trees and decided to pull up for a laugh and scare us. He sounded the horn again, we waved and he drove off.

We had a look around and there were fresh man-sized tracks in the clay around the tent so we knew we had actually had a visitor in the middle of the night. Kids don't think much of these things though so we just restarted the fire, had more sausages, spent a few more hours fishing and headed for home. We weren't allowed to camp there any more after telling our parents what had happened.

I still don't know what in the hell anyone was doing wandering around there in the middle of the night.
    Hmmm, I dont think train drivers just pull over and hop off when they see something interesting on the side of the tracks, I dont think trains work like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The point is that, unless you're right next to a station, a train driver can't stop, beep his horn, and drive off again. When a train is up to speed it takes a few hundred metres to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Unless the train driver himself was the midnight lurker and knew exactly where the tent was!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I was that train driver. AMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Still though, my point was trains don't really pull in when they see something interesting on the side of the tracks do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

And when you looked more closely at the train, you noticed that there was something amiss with the driver's visage.

His hat covered his face in shadow, but as the train began to move the light in the cabin changed.

As the icy grip of fear began to take hold, you realised that this driver was no man.

Annnd...
    ...we're back to our skull faced skeleton friend from the taxi again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

The CLICK CLICK CLICK of crutches coming down the line

Thargor wrote:
    Hmmm, I dont think train drivers just pull over and hop off when they see something interesting on the side of the tracks, I dont think trains work like that...

It wasn't a passenger train, it transported rock from the local mines, only did one round trip a day as far as I know. The only other time I saw it stopped was when a tractor crashed into it in about 2000 . It hasn't run in about 13 or 14years.

• Advertisement

I don't think I've mentioned this one on here yet, it's about a late night visitor.

I lived alone during my mid 20s, I had a house on the edge of town, along the main road. It'd be fairly busy with people walking by day and night. This one particular night I was in bed, I'd been sleeping for a few hours then woke up suddenly but didn't know why. I lay awake for a minute and then heard a noise at the front door, didn't think much of it, I figured it was just noise on the street.

After another minute I heard it again, someone was definitely at the front door and they were trying to get in. I hopped out of bed, pulled on a pair of boxers, grabbed my baseball bat (I hadn't invested in a hurley at that stage) and went to the top of the stairs. There was a big glass section beside the door and I could make out someone standing at it, then he moved and I could see the door handle move too. I wasn't sure what the hell to do, I've never been a coward but I don't mind admitting I was a little nervous.

I plucked up the courage, walked down the stairs and opened the door, he just stood there looking at me. I recognised him as a local-ish psycho. He was extremely violent, big into drugs and very unpredictable. Let's call him Freddie. I think he recognised me too, though we'd only met once before, a bit of an altercation on a bus when I stopped him from attacking a girl. Our chat went something like this......

Me; What the hell are you at.
    Freddie; Nothing.
    Me; Are you trying to get into the house.
    Freddie; I didn't do anything.
    Me; This is private property, you can't be here.
    Freddie; I'm not doing anything.
    Me; You're on my doorstep, you were trying to get into the house, now FCUK OFF.
    Freddie; I'm not doing anything wrong.
    Me; I'll ring the guards if you don't leave now, get lost.

He wandered off in no particular hurry, he was very calm, almost amused. I'm lucky I had the bat, otherwise I don't know what he would've done. He must've been in a fairly good mood too. I certainly wouldn't like to think what would've happened if I hadn't woken up and he had managed to get in.

Freddie spent the next few years kicking the crap out of people, breaking into houses and strung out on drugs. He died a couple of years back from a heroin overdose in a flat he was squatting in. I for one wasn't upset to hear about his passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Ya should've delivered a roundhouse baseball bat to his face while you had the chance.

Just sayin'

Cos ye know, he's dead now so you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

I live in a big old Victorian house in London, my flat is on the top two floors. I'd had a few friends round for the evening and they went off about 10.30. Shortly after they'd left, I could hear something upstairs. It was a very slight sound like someone moving very very slowly.
    Naturally, I thought I was imagining it as I knew there was no-one else in the flat.

I had three cats at the time. One by one they sat at the foot of the stairs to the top floor, listening. So they could hear it too.

To say I was spooked by the cats is a major understatement. I didn't know what to do so I sat on the floor of the front room listening to this intermittent creaking through the ceiling above me. This went on till about 1.30 a.m. with me too scared to go to bed and certainly too frigging terrified to go upstairs and investigate.

Then there came Boom! Boom! Boom! as if someone was thumping the plasterboard walls up in the top rooms.
    The cats scattered and hid.
    I grabbed me coat and ran out into the night and up to my parents house where I fell in screeching and gibbering!

I went back the next day to investigate. I even took the hatches off the crawl space under the roof to check in case anyone had been in there - the house is semi detached so I thought maybe someone had got in from next door and was doing it to frighten me. But no, there was a brick wall to stop visitors.

To this day I haven't a clue what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

fryup wrote: »
    yes, was it the priest?

did she feel she was "touched up" in any way?

She says the priest was kinda weird, told her a couple of his stories from his time in Africa over tea. She believes that there may have been some witch doctor/ voodoo type stuff going on that he used. I think what she means is some form of herbal date rape thing.
    She didn't have any marks on her as such, but have no doubt that yes she felt touched up.
    What's even weirder is that her door was still locked in the morning with the key in it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

redbel05 wrote: »
    She says the priest was kinda weird, told her a couple of his stories from his time in Africa over tea. She believes that there may have been some witch doctor/ voodoo type stuff going on that he used. I think what she means is some form of herbal date rape thing.
    She didn't have any marks on her as such, but have no doubt that yes she felt touched up.
    What's even weirder is that her door was still locked in the morning with the key in it...

Is it possible that she had some kind of night terrors? I've heard of people taking off their clothes because they're fevered with said terrors.

I remember reading something about sleep paralysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

It got me wondering whether some of the experiences I read on this might have been affected by it. Fascinating stuff.

Has anyone here ever experienced sleep paralysis?

Reiver wrote:

Yeah, it's been mentioned quite a few times. I've suffered from it for about 15 years. It still scares the crap out of me every time it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

It got me wondering whether some of the experiences I read on this might have been affected by it. Fascinating stuff.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2056831498&query=paralysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This thread is full of sleep paralysis stories. I've experienced it twice, both triggered by heavy nights on booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have just bought a new house. Everything has been great and had it painted and moved in. Live alone now so was happy to have the place decorated and my things around me.

One night about 2am, one of the dogs who sleep with me, went ballistic barking, I woke up and a light switched on in the kitchen. I thought someone was there but nothing. Tried the switch it seemed very "light" so put it down to that. Went back to sleep.

Some evenings the dog growls at the same area, but when I check, there is nothing there.

ANYHOW, I have an old radio on the kitchen counter which is close to this area also. Rarely use it because it is so difficult to tune in and the CD is crap. Was watching TV and the Radio started all by itself. Again the Dog went mad just prior to this. Have to say at this stage I was freaked out.

Last week I was in bed. Dog on the bed again. Dozing, dog started barking again and the shower in the ensuite turned on. Now the ensuite is on the first floor, Only access is beside me and no one was there.....

At this stage the Holy Water has been thrown everywhere....

• Advertisement
Advertisement