Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maths factorising help?!

Options
  • 22-11-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Anyone out there who is any way good at maths willing to help me here.
    How do you factorise:
    1) x^4+x
    2) a^2+b^2-2ab
    Thanks so much in advance to anyone who replies!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Both of the terms in the first one have a common factor of x.

The second one is a perfect square.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

Hi guys need some help here...
    Is (a-b)^2 = (a-b)(a-b) or (a-b)(a+b)
    How do you know which one it is?!
    Thanks so much to anyone who replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

This is the reverse of 'factorising'. Factorising is putting terms into brackets. You want to expand the brackets. (a-b)^2=(a-b)(a-b). Then multiply out. Anything squared is multiplied my itself so (a-b) squared is (a-b) times (a-b).

You may be mixing up with the factorisation of a^2-b^2 which is (a-b)(a+b)?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

So guys I'm struggling a bit with these factorising questions here, how would you answer:
    x^3 + y^3+ 3x +3y

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

There is two different types of factorising here. Difference of 2 cubes and HCF. Tackle them separately first. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

NOS3 wrote: »
    There is two different types of factorising here. Difference of 2 cubes and HCF. Tackle them separately first. :)

Sum of Cubes

Advertisement