Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subject choices for medicine help...

• 22-11-2015 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Ok so im 22 and I am returning to a grinds school next academic year to repeat my leaving cert to go for 600+ for medicine...

I absolutely hate languages but passed them when originally doing my LC in 2011 with a A1 in English and B1 in French (Im exempt from irish). So I was going to hand pick 6 subjects I liked and go for broke on them... But it appears its not that simple for medicine... Who would of guessed it..

So im just looking to clear up I have to do English, another language (French in my case), maths, chemistry, biology + get the 730ish points to qualify for medicine in UCC? Even though ive already sat the leaving passed all my subjects and will be 25 years old when sitting the leaving... Again Im exempt from Irish so I presume that exemption will carry over meaning im not forced to learn Irish? Knowing my luck I will have to take it up just for medicine or something stupid...

Lastly if the above is the case is it possible for me to lay out my subjects like this?

Maths
    Applied Maths
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics
    Construction Studies

All Higher level with the intention of getting 6 A1's In them for the 625 and then just do English and French at ordinary level and just pass them? They dont have to count as the points subjects do they? As im sure you can tell from my structuring of this post English is not where my mind is at Im much more of a statistics and hard facts guy and really want to avoid languages as much as possible....

Also If any teachers or guidance counsellors are reading this any other subjects you would advise me to consider? The college im going to literally teaches every subject regardless of demand so an easy A1 subject based off the 6 planned A1 Subjects I outlined would be welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes you have to take French and English again. The rule for medicine is that you have to pass all requirements in the same sitting.

But you are right in saying that you can take them at Ordinary Level and count Applied Maths/Maths/Phys/Chem/Bio/Construction as your best 6 subjects for points.

You should also look into applying for Medicine as a mature student given your age.

Just as an aside, there are no easy A1 subjects. If there were everyone would be doing them and getting A1s. You're either good at a subject (and have the work done) or you're not.

E.g. Applied Maths and Physics have a high rate of A1s, but that's because the people doing them are self selecting. Students that don't like physics or maths don't pick those subjects. So you get people doing them that have a good natural ability for the subject.

Similarly Ag Science and Business are promoted as 'easy honours' or an 'easy A1'. Yet only 4% of students got an A1 in Ag Science last year and only 3.9% in Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jg3114

Yes you have to take French and English again. The rule for medicine is that you have to pass all requirements in the same sitting.

But you are right in saying that you can take them at Ordinary Level and count Applied Maths/Maths/Phys/Chem/Bio/Construction as your best 6 subjects for points.

You should also look into applying for Medicine as a mature student given your age.

Just as an aside, there are no easy A1 subjects. If there were everyone would be doing them and getting A1s. You're either good at a subject (and have the work done) or you're not.

E.g. Applied Maths and Physics have a high rate of A1s, but that's because the people doing them are self selecting. Students that don't like physics or maths don't pick those subjects. So you get people doing them that have a good natural ability for the subject.

Similarly Ag Science and Business are promoted as 'easy honours' or an 'easy A1'. Yet only 4% of students got an A1 in Ag Science last year and only 3.9% in Business.

Ok thanks. Do you know anything with regard to my exemption from Irish? Will I have to reapply or will I just have to learn Irish and like English and french just do at ordinary level?

Also poor wording on my part with regard to the "easy A" What I mean was taking into consideration my 6 subject choices any proposals on subjects that would play into my strengths... For example I decided on all these subjects because I found when originally doing my leaving doing 2 sciences helped as they tied in and the same with maths and applied maths obviously... Construction was just the inner engineer that drew me to it...

So for example would something like business or economics be something to consider when I have a thing for maths... I dont know if im explaining my point very well but im hoping you get where im coming from?

Advertisement