Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year/Fifth Year

Options
  • 21-11-2015 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm in third year and we have to start thinking about whether we want to do TY or not. I don't want to do TY because I find my year to be really immature and most of the things in TY don't appeal to me. I get good grades in school and a teacher told me that if I wanted to that I would be able to make the big jump from third to fifth year. My only concern is my age, I won't be 15 till March 6th. Will I be too young in fifth and sixth year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

My son didn't do Ty it just didn't appeal to him, if I'm right you will be 17 and 3 mths doing your leaving, my son was 17and 4 mths he did his LC in June 2015 if it not for you and you feel your ready for 5th year go ahead, I have heard many pros and cons of Ty but it can depend on the school, My son started college in September he will be 18 in February and he loves every minute of it, at the end of the day it your decision Good luck in your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭YungKeo

I did TY and I am currently in 6th year, biggest regret of my life. I keep thinking to myself that I could be in college now and having a great time. My school did very little activities during TY and I don't get on well with most people in my year which is another reason I regret it.

I wouldn't worry about age, plenty of people in my year now at are still 16/17 and getting on well. A girl that was just 16 doing her leaving cert last year achieved the best grades and highest points in my school.

Basically, do what you feel is right and don't let your age or what you're friends are doing be a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

gave ty a skip, everyone that did it is now regeting it. do nothing in my school for ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

It really depends on the school.

I loved TY but my school has an excellent TY programme and we were kept busy with various activities most of the time.
    Some of my friends in other school did very little though.

I would advise talking to people who have done TY in your school and see what the general consensus is. It's pointless asking people in other schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

I didnt do TY myself, and I'm in 5th Year now. I couln't be happier with the choice I made. I got all the subjects I wanted for the leaving (3core, french, chem, phys, econ, applied maths) and I love them all. Ive made so many ne friends in 5th yr and to be honest I prefer them to some of my friends that are currently in Ty. I will be young doing the leaving as well (17 and 6 months). I dont think thats really a big deal though. If you feel you're mature enough to go into fifth year and if you're willing to put in the work you should have no problem.
    That being said, there are lots of benefits that come with TY. Id ask some teachers, past ty pupils, pupils that didnt do ty etc in your school and see what they have to say.
    Go n-éirí leat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I did it, and loved it. Got to play one of the main parts in the school musical, got to go to France, as well as first aid and a few other things. Learnt how to sing properly, found out I had a flair for acting that had just lay dormant for many years. The list goes on. It did wonders for my confidence and social skills as you were forced to deal with new people everyday in one form or another. Also got to do 2 weeks work experience.

Now our school runs an exceptional TY programme. I know that in several surrounding schools it is a joke, with next to no activities.

You'll have to ask people who did TY in your school recently to get a definite answer. They're the only people really in a position to advise you on this matter.

Best of luck with your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

TY in my school were due to go to paris next year (2016). they told the students they were going at the start of the year, but didn't tell how much it would cost. gave them 1 week to come up with a relatively sizeable desposate. a few students were late bringing it in as they had to come up with the money. but by then all places were taking so now they cant go. pity as they were really exited. I think this is very wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

TY in my school were due to go to paris next year (2016). they told the students they were going at the start of the year, but didn't tell how much it would cost. gave them 1 week to come up with a relatively sizeable desposate. a few students were late bringing it in as they had to come up with the money. but by then all places were taking so now they cant go. pity as they were really exited. I think this is very wrong??

I don't think anybody is to eager to visit Paris right now somehow. Our school is organising a trip to Paris in the Spring and about 30 TYs signed up and have paid the first deposit. Since the tragic events that occurred last week I think at least 5 have decided to back out, even though they won't be getting their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

I don't think anybody is to eager to visit Paris right now somehow. Our school is organising a trip to Paris in the Spring and about 30 TYs signed up and have paid the first deposit. Since the tragic events that occurred last week I think at least 5 have decided to back out, even though they won't be getting their money back.

Not travelling is letting the terrorists win in my opinion. The situation will hopefully have improved by then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hezip

I skipped TY, want to get out of secondary school and into college asap, and actually do what i enjoy.
    TY is an absolute doss, its a year I would only go for if you want a break from school for a school year, yes it involves some work too such as reports and the musical, but that is nothing compared to the workload in 5th year.

Alsot most people that ive talked to about TY forgot a lot of things from 3rd year, a lot of which builds basics in 5th year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TY is not about academic work, it's about personal development.
    It's not for those who sit there and wait til things happen - a well run TY will be student led. This is probably why some people have a very poor experience of it.
    There is a lot to be said for being a year older going to college/work.

Advertisement