Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm Confused!

• 20-11-2015 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi my name is Gerard, I'm a leaving cert student from county Louth. At the minute everything is going well I'm doing all higher except for Irish. There's only one subject I'm a bit worried about and that's History. Honestly I loved History for the Junior Cert but now in the leaving cert it's close to impossible. (5 page essays). I'm finding it difficult and I don't now what to do. I got my class test back a couple of days ago getting 59%. It's not that bad but I seriously studied a lot for it(2 hours).I find it alot more draining then the other subjects I do. It's coming close to Christmas now and I feel it's a bit late to switch subjects. But if it was possible I would totally move to Home Economics. Weirdly enough I didn't do it for my Junior Cert but in our school if you did it during TY you can do it for your leaving. I really did truly enjoy it during TY and wish I chose it for 5th year. Would it be possible to study it over Christmas. Am I just being unrealistic or is this something that other people have done or am I just being too harsh on history. But personally I find it very tough and very hard.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The first thing to do is to find out if your school will let you switch. If they will then you should go and speak to the Home Ec teacher and find out what you have missed and what you need to catch up on, and be proactive about it, i.e. maybe ask for a list of topics that you can work on at home.

Particularly as the journal in home ec is handed up in the first term in sixth year so the fifth year class have probably been doing some of that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gerard 500

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You are being unrealistic. Home Economics during TY is totally different to the LC course, and added to that there's a practical element completed during your first Leaving Cert year (Food Studies assignment) - from your post I'm assuming you're already in your Leaving Cert year, so you've already missed out on that part of the course which accounts for 20% of your marks, as well as obviously missing out on over a year of the two year course. No, you couldn't make that up over Christmas - that time would be better spent improving your standard of the subject you've already been doing.
    You're better off just putting the time in and practicing writing your History essays.

Edit: I've just read your other thread on the same topic and see that you're in the first year of your Leaving Cert, in which case your school might be able to facilitate you in changing subjects, as rainbowtrout outlined above. Good luck with it, but do have a good conversation with the Home Ec teacher (and past students who have completed the course, if you can) to make sure your expectations of the subject based on what you did in TY are realistic!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gerard 500

Thanks dee_mc.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

Go for it lad.Homeec is a piss easy subject if ur willing to put in a small bit of effort.

• Advertisement
Advertisement