Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Location choices ??

• 29-01-2020 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about it (after a few pints) why did we pick some locations as our main hubs. I'm excluding the big hubs like Dublin Port/Airport and Cork Airport. I'm talking about Shannon Airport (a village in Clare) and Rosslare Port (a ****hole in Wexford)

Should places like Galway been picked as the western hub too Ireland ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Can’t get much further west than Shannon.

Can’t get much closer to Europe than Wexford.

Is my guess anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rosslare dates back to the 19th century when Wexford Town was the main shipping port for the South East. It got moved to Rosslare because of navigational issues and to create a new rail link and create a speedy cross channel link.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Thinking about it (after a few pints) why did we pick some locations as our main hubs. I'm excluding the big hubs like Dublin Port/Airport and Cork Airport. I'm talking about Shannon Airport (a village in Clare) and Rosslare Port (a ****hole in Wexford)

Should places like Galway been picked as the western hub too Ireland ??

Why not?

Galway was a university town before it became a city and has lots of history and its a big county.

Rosslare is the nearest corner to Europe

Most irish cities are built on old shipping ports.

Now Pairc Ui Caoimh, there's a mystery. Why build a big stadium with no access unless you swim!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Op I think you'd have better luck asking here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=887

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The early days of transatlantic flight used flying boats, flying in and out of Foynes, on the other side of the Shannon estuary to the current airport. When they were dying out thanks to new technology that allowed regular planes to make the trip the government built an airport nearby, presumably because there was an existing aviation industry already in the area. It became an important stopover for flights from Europe which needed to refuel before flying on to the States or Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Zaph wrote: »
    The early days of transatlantic flight used flying boats, flying in and out of Foynes, on the other side of the Shannon estuary to the current airport. When they were dying out thanks to new technology that allowed regular planes to make the trip the government built an airport nearby, presumably because there was an existing aviation industry already in the area. It became an important stopover for flights from Europe which needed to refuel before flying on to the States or Canada.

Flying boats ? Away with you and your forked tongue.
    I've heard of rubber bands, horse flies and even an oil field but boats do not fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Whatever the answer is, it's not at the bottom of a glass. Drink is never the answer. If it's getting you down, fair enough, that's ok, but no need to sink into the pints to have the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Well the choice for a port was somewhat limited. It had to be beside the sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Nationwide actually covered the origins of Shannon Airport this week.

On a side note you'd miss Mary Kennedy. Hard to suffer through that cretin Bláthnaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nationwide actually covered the origins of Shannon Airport this week.

On a side note you'd miss Mary Kennedy. Hard to suffer through that cretin Bláthnaid.

Sure Knock Airport was only built for the pope and got a fair bit of luck ever since. Not like Waterford Airport which is forever in the doldrums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Flying boats ? Away with you and your forked tongue.
    I've heard of rubber bands, horse flies and even an oil field but boats do not fly.

A flying boat :D

3_The_Glastron_GT150_was_the_star_of_Live_and_Let_Die.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Well the choice for a port was somewhat limited. It had to be beside the sea.

I dunno, Portlaoise seems to be going for it regardless of a coastline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Location, Location, Location,

that's what they say anyway...

Advertisement