Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's GDPR gone mad, so it is

Options
  • 28-01-2020 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

I saw on the RTE news there that the HSE couldn't give out the locations of community defibrillator units, as it would be a breach of GDPR, so some lad decided to map them all (in Laois at least) and make the locations publicly available (article here, which doesn't give a link to the app or site or whatever...)

...And just after that report, there was a report about the GAA advising trainers / managers not to communicate with teams over Whatsapp, due to GDPR fears, and that the GAA will be setting up their own messaging app... whatever difference that will make, I don't know.

So, are these reasonable measures, or is it GDPR gone mad ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,446 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes saw this myself, couldn't understand it, going by those rules a phonebook is a breach of GDPR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

How hard is it to get the owners of the property to sign a waiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I saw on the RTE news there that the HSE couldn't give out the locations of community defibrillator units, as it would be a breach of GDPR, so some lad decided to map them all (in Laois at least) and make the locations publicly available (article here, which doesn't give a link to the app or site or whatever...)

...And just after that report, there was a report about the GAA advising trainers / managers not to communicate with teams over Whatsapp, due to GDPR fears, and that the GAA will be setting up their own messaging app... whatever difference that will make, I don't know.

So, is it GDPR gone mad, or are these reasonable measures?

Both examples sound like either a poor understanding of GDPR or using it as an excuse for laziness.

Other examples like the DPC opposing communities installing CCTV to protect against burglary are more concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I don't think its GDPR gone mad......its the idiots who are afraid to say/do anything through a misguided fear of falling foul of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Some jobsworth in the HSE being an ass more than anything.

Didn’t the OPW have some lemon try to outlaw visitor books until they were told to cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Call me a cynic or is it coincidental that all these vague citings of GDPR are done in the name of actually doing less work???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Saw that, how does GDPR get in the way of revealing the location of a life saving device?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Did anyone say which regulations it breaks? Sounds like nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The acronym I am sick of the mostest. And the bores who glom on to it to make themselves sound important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Call me a cynic or is it coincidental that all these vague citings of GDPR are done in the name of actually doing less work???

In my experience it creates loads of completely pointless extra work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

beauf wrote: »
    In my experience it creates loads of completely pointless extra work.

For productive employees or does it 'create' a completely pointless extra job to oversee the pointlessness :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's easier to do nothing, easier again to pass the can...

Absolutely ridiculous, these units should be known where they can be grabbed when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

HSE on top form again, it's like something out of the former Soviet Union in terms of bloated inefficiency and unaccountablility.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A load of bull****.

I'm (EU but not Ireland) signed up for an app that alerts you to anyone within 5 minutes distance who has called in a cardiac arrest and guides you to the next defi and then to the patient, no problems with giving the locations of every single defi in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yes saw this myself, couldn't understand it, going by those rules a phonebook is a breach of GDPR.

I don't disagree with you but with the phone book you volunteer the information & ask that it's put in the phone book (if we still have phone books). It would be a breach if you wanted to be ex directory but they published your details anyway.

I do get your point though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The GAA building its own whatsapp clone is a disaster waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

On reading the article it appears that a number of the devices have been locked away on private property, therefore it wouldn't be appropriate to publish the address of the private individuals in the circumstances unless the individuals had given their explicit consent for their personal data ie name, address etc. to be made available or if the HSE rolls out contracts for the provision of defibrillators in these locations.

From my understanding of the article there is no data protection issue in providing details on the location of devices available in public places as there is no personal data to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It has replaced Health and Safety as an excuse for officials to do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

From my understanding of the article there is no data protection issue in providing details on the location of devices available in public places as there is no personal data to protect.

Ah Jasus. Where are you going, with your reading the full article? We were enjoying having a good old moan and you come charing in with facts! Jasus wept :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

WhatsApp is a 3rd party messaging app. People may not want their information going through it.

The location of publically accessible defibrillators should be posted. Its no more trivial than where's the nearest petrol station.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No it isnt. GDPR is about the purposes of retaining data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

On reading the article it appears that a number of the devices have been locked away on private property, therefore it wouldn't be appropriate to publish the address of the private individuals in the circumstances unless the individuals had given their explicit consent for their personal data ie name, address etc. to be made available or if the HSE rolls out contracts for the provision of defibrillators in these locations.

If that is the case then why did any contract between the HSE and private individuals for the provision of the defibrillator not include contracted disclosure of their locations to the public?

GDPR is a 2016 regulation that was years in development and isn't a huge departure from our preexisting Data Protection Acts going back to 1988. It's hardly a bolt from the blue that the HSE are struggling to adapt to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,717 ✭✭✭✭listermint

WhatsApp is a 3rd party messaging app. People may not want their information going through it.

The location of publically accessible defibrillators should be posted. Its no more trivial than where's the nearest petrol station.

You can remove from group or just not join a team sport if you are going to be such a sad sack to give out about gdpr arranging training sessions.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    If that is the case then why did any contract between the HSE and private individuals for the provision of the defibrillator not include contracted disclosure of their locations to the public?

GDPR is a 2016 regulation that was years in development and isn't a huge departure from our preexisting Data Protection Acts going back to 1988. It's hardly a bolt from the blue that the HSE are struggling to adapt to.

I am only reading the OP's linked article and there is nothing to say that the HSE actually owns these defibrillators, perhaps the communities just purchased them for their own local activities. Suddenly someone suggested that a map showing the location of all the devices would be very beneficial and asked the HSE to prepare the map.

Now either the HSE doesn't "own" the privately stored devices or they assisted with the rollout of devices and overlooked ensuring any contracts had data protection covered. (I am guessing it's the former).
    Again, there is nothing stopping them providing location information on devices located in public areas ie local Garda station, local park etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Maybe someone promised it would be done by Feb 1 and hasn't started and needs to delay a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Slightly o/t but I see those defibrillators sited in some dodgy places around Dublin and Bray and they never seem to get stolen or vandalized, one place in particular in Bray I said WTF are they thinking when I saw it but a couple of years later not a scratch on it, nice to see.

listermint wrote: »
    You can remove from group or just not join a team sport if you are going to be such a sad sack to give out about gdpr arranging training sessions.

They dont have to be arranged via WhatsApp. And it's not about removing from a group either. The concern is with being someone who doesnt want their information handled through a 3rd party service. Which in this case would be whatsapp. Especially if it's not a service one uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

It is a lazy attempt and a total misinterpretation of GDPR. GDPR applies to businesses or entities that process data as part of their operations ie. commercial. Personal use is exempt (so don’t worry about your dash cam). I really can’t see how the location of a medical device is any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The HSE don't provide the defibs. If they published a list, and your relative died because someone went to the place of the list only to find that the unit wasn't there anymore (because the owner decided to move it or lock it away or whatever), then you might try suing the HSE for their death.

If you think you need a defib, just call the emergency number and follow their instructions.

And the GAA is justified. Problems they've had include parents sharing inappropriate material to a group and then leaving it. When this happens, the GAA have no way to deleting the material.

The whole WhatsApp thing is a nightmare. I started a new contract 2 months ago, and was told to get a certain manager to add me to the company WhatsApp. So far have just ignored the request, because I really don't fancy giving my private mobile number to all my colleagues. But the question is going to come up again.

• Advertisement

Elemonator wrote: »
    It is a lazy attempt and a total misinterpretation of GDPR. GDPR applies to businesses or entities that process data as part of their operations ie. commercial. Personal use is exempt (so don’t worry about your dash cam). I really can’t see how the location of a medical device is any issue.

Not correct. Public bodies such as Government Departments etc. and in the case the HSE are all non-commercial bodies and must comply with the GDPR.

Advertisement