Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own property?

Options
  • 21-01-2020 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Wondering what kind of mix we have here. I bought my first house last year (with my wife) but bloody hell I can't help but feel that me ten years ago, starting a grad job, should have been smarter with money and picked up a nice cheap place to have flogged in the mean time. The rent I paid in those years would easily have got me a nice leg up in life. Oh well.

Do you own property? 474 votes

Yes
    76% 362 votes
    No
    23% 112 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Don't own a house yet, I'm in the grim situation of doing the last bit of saving and looking for a house to buy in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes bought 3 years ago. I also was a tool with money most of my life but moved home for a year at 35 and saved about 12k and folks helped me out for a deposit. I'm just so glad i never have to flatshare again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep, 2 my own and a rental, all paid off in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Not yet. Wasn't exactly sensible the last couple of years although I wasn't with anyone I wanted to buy with either. Now we are saving, but for somewhere outside Dublin. Really couldn't see us mortgaging ourselves for the next 35 years for something in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Own yes, the minor fact of still having a mortgage aside!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Commercial property - long term lease to retailer ( debt free)

Residential - long term lease to Limerick Council (debt free)

Own my own home debt free

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

Nope. The banks seem to think I can't afford a mortgage even though I am essentially paying someone else's mortgage (€1,200 monthly rent for going on 6 years now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

In 33 years when the mortgage is all paid up I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

I pay the mortgage on my home so it's the bank that owns my house. Should I answer No or Yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I have a mortgage, so partly.
    Jointly with my wife because that's a condition of getting a mortgage even if it is all your own money.
    If we were to separate she would probably get to stay there with my kid while I would have to leave.
    Such a fair system. Gun against your head stuff. [Not that I personally would want to split up with my wife anyway - just making the point that the system is ****ing retarded.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

victor8600 wrote: »
    I pay the mortgage on my home so it's the bank that owns my house. Should I answer No or Yes?

The bank doesn't own the house, they have a charge on it and rent you money @ under 3%, nobody from the bank gets to come live in it whenever they feel like it

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As of 2 months ago, yes.

Had to move in with my parents to save up the deposit.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I have a mortgage, so partly.
    Jointly with my wife because that's a condition of getting a mortgage even if it is all your own money.
    If we were to separate she would probably get to stay there with my kid while I would have to leave.
    Such a fair system. Gun against your head stuff. [Not that I personally would want to split up with my wife anyway - just making the pin t that the system is ****ing retarded.]

Completely agree. My ex had to give his ex wife (who refuses to work) 3200 per month out of the 4000 he came out with leaving him with 800 a month to start a new life (i.e. rent a bedsit and be dog poor), so that she could stay in the big 4 bed detached house. She couldn't be compelled to rent a room, downsize etc. He effectively has that ball and chain until his youngest turns 18. Anyway off topic!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Two houses.
    Live in one rent the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

3 mortgages, awesome. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Nope.

That will no doubt change by the end of the year though when everyone has voted in FF and I'll be able to get a 110% mortgage :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Antares35 wrote: »
    Completely agree. My ex had to give his ex wife (who refuses to work) 3200 per month out of the 4000 he came out with leaving him with 800 a month to start a new life (i.e. rent a bedsit and be dog poor), so that she could stay in the big 4 bed detached house. She couldn't be compelled to rent a room, downsize etc. He effectively has that ball and chain until his youngest turns 18. Anyway off topic!:D

That seems odd. I can't imagine a court ordering someone to give his ex-wife 80% of his take-home pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yup, own my little swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Yes, inherited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I don't own a house. I rent. I will buy a place when I am 60, because I would like to move back home eventually. But for now i will keep moving around, since i am not (and most likely will never get) married.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Nope.

That will no doubt change by the end of the year though when everyone has voted in FF and I'll be able to get a 110% mortgage :pac:

You won't as FF or any other party doesn't get to dictate policy to the CB.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yep, bought 4 years ago, prices were reasonable enough at that point. Houses in my area are up 50-60k since then, I'd be hard pressed to buy my house today tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Yes finally got our place in 2018 after years of bad luck and missing deals and investors sweeping in offering more so they could convert it to an air bnb tourist trap.

Had about ~90k saved, so got a nice place, 75% mortgage , but what really pissed me off was a lot of that deposit just went to some corrupt politicians pocket - for doing nothing.

Mortgage is decent, less than rent, plus a fixed rate ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yup, completed our first remortgage after the initial 2 year deal was up - convinced the bank the house went up in value too. Currently at about 70% LTV and a rate that'll probably make some Irish people annoyed.

Looking back, yes we should have bought a lot sooner after we landed here but the money/job situation wasn't great and we were only meant to be here "for a year or two" anyway (he says ~10 years later). I also never realised how easy it was to buy a house, the broker was well worth his couple of hundred quid.

Yup. Three bedroom townhouse in Cork. Also a two bedroom apartment in Xi'an, China.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Bought a house in London at 29 with my ex-partner. Things went very bad relationshipwise (on account of her going totally cracked) and I beat a hasty retreat with her agreeing to pay me a small amount of money and take over the mortgage herself.

Now I’m back renting and I live with 13 other people. Still better than sharing a cold house and living on eggshells. Owning your own gaff is great and congrats to whoever does it but it’s certainly not a guaranteed route to happiness I learned that the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My 20's and early 30's i was basically just party boy. The girlfriend at the time basically insisted we buy an apartment, which we did - then about 6 months after moving in she pissed off and left me paying for the damn thing!

But sometimes bad news is just good news in disguise, it forced me to get my shít together and now 15 years later, i have a very nice house which i live in and a very nice family of Pakistanis are paying the apartment mortgage for me. I'm viewing it as my pension, mainly because my actual pension will barely keep me in beans and toast.

Sometimes i wish i had put all the money i spent on cocaine and chasing women into my pension, or off a mortgage or something productive like that, because i'd be on the pigs back now.....but then i remember i had a fúcking damn good time, so it's swings and roundabouts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

One outright, where I live currently. One mortgaged. 17 years left on that, meself and the ex pay that between us and she still lives there so it's not much of a burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

One outright, where I live currently. One mortgaged. 17 years left on that, meself and the ex pay that between us and she still lives there so it's not too much of a burden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wondering what kind of mix we have here. I bought my first house last year (with my wife) but bloody hell I can't help but feel that me ten years ago, starting a grad job, should have been smarter with money and picked up a nice cheap place to have flogged in the mean time. The rent I paid in those years would easily have got me a nice leg up in life. Oh well.

I own about 30% of where I live with my family

Advertisement