Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Jonah Lomu

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

RIP Jonah condolences to his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Very sad , Jerry Collins only passed away in June too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A beast of rugby player and by all accounts a true gent,

Only watched his return to south Africa documentary recently,

Such a shame

Rip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Can't believe this. He was the reason I started playing rugby in first place. A man of his size being able to run the way he did and burst through people. He was really a true legend and such an inspiring player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

If this this true then yes, RIP. Jonah wasn't a normal human at all, rather he was one of those who could run through a brick wall. A specimen who even Adolf would start to reconsider his beliefs. Everyone remembers hi running OVER those English guys but he did that to everyone. Sleep well you Maori warrior. You will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

So young it's crazy. He was some player. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Brought such excitement to the game and was on another level. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭joeysoap

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

RIP was only talking about him in work the other day - some of the younger lads in the office never heard of him. Some of the clips on YouTube opened their eyes - Astounding player in his day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

He truly was a king among men on the field.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

I am not ashamed to say I am in tears

He was an inspiration to me, During the world cup in 1995 me and my dad used to have daddy daughter days. He used to get me a takeaway and we'd watch the sporting stars of the rugby world. I;ll never forget seeing him take over the tournament and the rugby world. Dad would take me to the park after and I'd pretend I was him. He inspired me to strive for everything and gave me a real love for sport.

He was amazing. I remember I chased him in the airport to get a picture with him, and I looked like **** on slate and had a giant hangover but didn't care cos I got to meet and chat with him. He was my hero, and he was so nice when I met him

RIP Jonah x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I remember him getting me interested in Rugby in 1996. A tower of a man. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

RIP....don't know if i seen it on here or someone told me, they met him in a hotel in ireland and he sat down and had a pint with him seemed like a down to earth individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

40 years young, Shocking, RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Met him myself in the mid 90s, a literal gentle giant.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Unstoppable in his prime. Could run like a freight train and mow down anything in his way.

Rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Move over terrorism news ... Real man coming through!

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Met him myself in the mid 90s, a little gentle giant.

RIP

Hardly little now......... ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Bit shocked to hear that. Rip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Can't believe this :( R.I.P.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm shocked :( RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Gawd, only a few weeks ago I commented to my fella how well he looked after his health problems. Only 40, jeez. A 90s icon. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

timthumbni wrote: »
    A specimen who even Adolf would start to reconsider his beliefs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

In some of those Youtube videos it's like watching a grown man playing against children the way he easily knocked opponents out of the way, it was sad how illness cut his career short and he never won all the trophies his talent deserved, now his life has tragically been cut short.

RIP :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

RIP ye legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Shocking. Truly stunning news. An awesome rugby phenomenon and opened up world wide attention to the game.

Only 40 too. So cruel.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just heard it on the news now, same age as myself and gone already.

RIP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Beast of a player and a wonderful guy, gone too soon.......RIP Jonah:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Very sad to read this this morning. He was an savage player and we all wanted to be like him when we were kids out with the rugby ball.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

RIP, a great sporting legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

:( he was a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Very sad news, A legend of the game. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

First rugby superstar that I can recall.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sad news indeed. A true sporting legend.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Very sad , Jerry Collins only passed away in June too.

And actually, so did one cap All Black Norm Berryman who played mostly in France. A very sad year for NZ rugby to lose such young guys off the field, contrasted with a very happy one on the field.

Hopefully his legacy will be an analysis of the use of creatine in rugby - his Auckland Blues teammate Vidiri blamed his kidney failure, for the same condition as Lomu, on the drugs programme at that club. Far far too young to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hopefully his legacy will be an analysis of the use of creatine in rugby - his Auckland Blues teammate Vidiri blamed his kidney failure, for the same condition as Lomu, on the drugs programme at that club. Far far too young to die.

Creatine is probably the most researched supplement there is. His kidney problems were not caused by creatine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

In the mid 90's Jonah Lomu was rugby! RIP, that World Cup in 1995 was amazing to watch purely cos of him!

Only 40 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think Jonah was the biggest reason why Rugby became so popular,

RIP Jonah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

His speed, power, skill & sportsmanship represented all that's good about the game of Rugby Union.

A humble superstar, will be much missed.

Don't bring that crap up here, it isn't 1999. If you're scared of creatine don't eat meat. It trivialises the man's death and scares those who may be taking the supplement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Probably the first truly global superstar of the rugby game.
    I was only 10 in 1995 but I remember watching in awe when he burst through Ireland's defence repeatedly, on the third attempt Simon Geoghan tackled him, the relief was palpable!

Also on a similar sad note, I remember the final when he ran through early in the game and Van Der Westhuizen the scrum half felled him like a tree, what a statement that was. JvdW now has MND and is on borrowed time.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

razorblunt wrote: »
    JvdW now has MND and is on borrowed time.

Really? That's sad. Awful thing for anyone to suffer but must be absolutely devastating for a sportsperson.

Don't bring that crap up here, it isn't 1999. If you're scared of creatine don't eat meat. It trivialises the man's death and scares those who may be taking the supplement.

Two internationals with the same club succumbed to the same serious kidney condition. One blamed the supplements policy at the club, one denied taking anything. Not sure how that can be dismissed as trivial in any way, it is very serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

He transcended his sport.
    He always struck me as a gentleman.
    May he rest in peace.

Two internationals with the same club succumbed to the same serious kidney condition. One blamed the supplements policy at the club, one denied taking anything. Not sure how that can be dismissed as trivial in any way, it is very serious.

Two people in the same family die of cancer. It must have been the same cause, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Very sad to hear this today. He made many a rugby match amazing back in the day when rugby was not really all that popular here. Rip. His likes won't be seen again for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

RIP!

One of my favourite Rugby World Cup Memories is Jonah Lomu literally running over Mike Catt as if he wasn't there to score a try against England in 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Such sad news. He was an amazing athlete and a really good guy. A Kiwi legend who made us proud and a huge loss to our country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement