Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NDLS centres

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Neyite wrote: »
    A walk in service anywhere is for people who have the time to wait to be seen. If you are stuck for time, then you go at a time that you DO have time to sit and wait. Or make a booking and show up for that, get processed and be out the door in 10 mins.

This tells you how many walk in slots are available in your local centre, and how many appointment slots there are. And this is where you can let them know about the service you received and how you think they can improve on it.

and this is where their complaints form is kept... funny though it doesn't seem to work?! and I've even tried on multiple browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

thelad95 wrote: »
    To be fair, the online bookings are ALWAYS seen ahead of walk-ins (otherwise what would be the point of making an appointment?). I don't know why some people refuse to make a booking, you end up sitting there for hours otherwise whereas with a booking, you can walk in and out in 10 minutes.

The centres always seem to be busy but staff are entitled by law to take breaks.

I made this thread complaining mainly about the rudeness of the staff and the fact that the centres are run on a shoestring but in this case you made life difficult for yourself I'm afraid.

well it was just bad luck or bad timing on my part...
    the service is running as a baby's bum? speaking of which... who needs toilets in a centre that has 1 - 2 hours waiting times?

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

kormak wrote: »
    and this is where their complaints form is kept... funny though it doesn't seem to work?! and I've even tried on multiple browsers.

Maybe here then?https://www.ndls.ie/contact-form.html
    And tell them to get their complaints one sorted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mornington

great place in Wexford. Friendly staff and helpful.
    Rotten driver and vehicle computer services division. I got a form to fill out by post after I had signed up in Wexford. Systems don't talk to each other. Fairly typical public service level. No phone number to ring on forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Went to the centre in Leopardstown twice.

First time the guy I was dealing with wasn't that great with people.
    He came across and rude and abrupt.
    Had to go to my local Garda station to get a form signed to say that my driving licence was damaged.
    Much to be bemusement of the Gard behind the desk.

Second time the lady I dealt with was much friendlier.
    Had everything sorted in about 15 minutes, including the wait.

They really need to open one in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I had utter nightmare with them in Santry.
    Had an appointment made for 9am one morning, declined me for "wrong documentation" because they didn't accept my bank statement, tv license or ptrb letter as proof of address or my medical card and photocopy of it for ppsn!(?).
    They pushed me back to an appointment 5 hours later to collect the "right documents"... And went to back home to get other letters with these details, went back out, lined up with the new and original letters I had brought, and accepted the first lot of documents I brought.
    Well, I was close to having a canary at them!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Went to the one in Leopardstown with my appointment. Was in and out in five minutes and assisted by a really friendly and helpful woman. Much better than the old days of sitting waiting for hours upon hours surrounded by dozens of annoyed people.
    The old days you didn't even have to go to an office, you just sent it off by post. That was far easier!
    But as you said, make an appointment. Don't even think of going to an NDLS without one.

Really you should walk out of the driving test centre with your licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Cienciano wrote: »

Really you should walk out of the driving test centre with your licence.

I have to agree with this. Considering how anal and beuracratic they are with documentation, they should be able to issue it on the spot. Card printing machines are found in gyms, offices hotels etc. why the need to post everything off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have to agree with this. Considering how anal and beuracratic they are with documentation, they should be able to issue it on the spot. Card printing machines are found in gyms, offices hotels etc. why the need to post everything off?

Inefficient system set up to extract the most amount of money from the public and make a few extra jobs maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

me too, they don't accept postal applications for people who already have the card license- yet what do they do when you go to the centre only stick it in the post to the main office

I actually feel a little bit sorry for the staff. They're the ones who have to be ridiculously nit-picky with documentation and applications as they know it won't be processed otherwise. As a result, they're the sacrificial lambs who receive the brunt of people's frustration when they turn them away for some stupid fault in the application or documentation.

No wonder they're often so rude and abrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

1. My place of birth was down as the UK instead of England.

Anyone know what the story with this is? The UK is the state and England is just a country within the state, I've always thought you should be putting UK rather than England on these kind of things.

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story with this is? The UK is the state and England is just a country within the state, I've always thought you should be putting UK rather than England on these kind of things.

And this is why people get so frustrated in these places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

There isn't a country in the world that issues driving licences via card printing machines to customers on the spot. A driving licence is akin to a passport, a form of ID that allows you open bank accounts etc. The old system was rife with fraud, at least 6 MTO staff have recently been charged with producing fake licences for cash. This is almost impossible under the new system. We are living in a changed world, so get used to increased scrutiny. Most people can hardly complete the correct type of application form, never mind use a card printing machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I booked and could only get a slot that was weeks away because according to the website it was all booked out. I arrive in at the right time, the place was totally empty. Just 2 people sitting behind the desks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Has anyone had to visit these? They are an absolute nightmare, only ever one member of staff on duty, they get picky over stupid little details in application forms and the staff are extremely unpleasant.

I know the old licences were incredibly easy to forge and county council offices weren't the right place to apply for a licence but these centres are a joke.

Experienced stellar service when I went. A really positive experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I've been to two of them (Santry and City West) and had nothing but positive experiences in both of them. The staff were friendly and efficient in both of them.

I did find the curtains in them vaguely annoying. I understand the need to protect peoples privacy, if sensitive personal data is being discussed. But I wasn't asked anything overly personal, or anything that I'd be all that bothered if someone overheard me. You don't have them in Social Welfare offices or banks & you'd think privacy would be needed far more there, than it would be in an NDLS centre, no? Weird !

The curtains are only there to ensure there's no glare on the camera for the mug shot. They've nothing to do with privacy requirements. It's basically a combined hatch and photo booth,

LDN_Irish wrote: »

No that doesn't make sense although technically it's an acronym for an abbreviation!

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is actual name of the state.

England is only a traditional/historic country.

Maybe he was just being sure you didn't mean that other United Kingdom :)

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The curtains are only there to ensure there's no glare on the camera for the mug shot. They've nothing to do with privacy requirements. It's basically a combined hatch and photo booth,

Not necessarily true. Documents such as bank statements and birth certs are being discussed as well as things like potential points on licences etc. So yes there is a certain need for confidentiality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Vologda69 wrote: »
    There isn't a country in the world that issues driving licences via card printing machines to customers on the spot. A driving licence is akin to a passport, a form of ID that allows you open bank accounts etc. The old system was rife with fraud, at least 6 MTO staff have recently been charged with producing fake licences for cash. This is almost impossible under the new system. We are living in a changed world, so get used to increased scrutiny. Most people can hardly complete the correct type of application form, never mind use a card printing machine.

Actually, this isn't true. Lived in Korea for a few years and got a driving licence there, issued on the same day I applied. Had to wait about 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

There is absolutely no reason the licenses can't be issued on the spot. The only reason they're sent off is paranoia after the old system which was admittedly not very transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

my friend wrote: »
    Experienced stellar service when I went. A really positive experience

Agreed, found the service good and the staff very friendly. Rocked on up without an appointment, and got one within 40 minutes. The application went through without any difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

MooShop wrote: »
    Actually, this isn't true. Lived in Korea for a few years and got a driving licence there, issued on the same day I applied. Had to wait about 20 minutes.

Same back home in Italy, I got my licence (card) the second after I parked and completed the driving exam. Same goes for renewals and such. For the National ID the procedure is the same: as soon as you apply you get it. And it's a card like the driving licence.

Honestly, I experienced issues regarding driving licences only here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭pcardin

Same back home in Italy, I got my licence (card) the second after I parked and completed the driving exam. Same goes for renewals and such. For the National ID the procedure is the same: as soon as you apply you get it. And it's a card like the driving licence.

Same in my wife's country - Latvia, she went for a renewal and licence was issued within 10 minutes.

As for my own experience, went to NDLS in Leopardstown on Monday and had all done in less than 10 min. Now need to wait for 2 weeks to receive in post. That's if ANLOST does not "lose" it of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Have you seen paper Italian IDs? They are like something from WWII. And this is the same country that applies a sticker with a new date on the back when you are renewing a licence. Hardly counterfeit proof.

In Belgium it took 12 weeks!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭muloc

I'm trying to book an appointment on their site....doesn't recognise my ppsn/dob combination today whereas a few days ago it did.

tried my driving licence number and doesn't like that either...say it has to be 9 digits whereas mine is 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was in out of my local one in about 15 minutes, with no appointment over the Xmas and New Year. No hassel, had a bit of craic with the girl behind the counter. All very friendly and efficient. Only issue was had to redo my signature a couple of times, as hate using them electronic signature readers, and posed for the picture a few times till I got the best of a bad lot.

All the stories re waiting and unfriendly/unhelpful staff were never encountered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Has anyone had to visit these? They are an absolute nightmare, only ever one member of staff on duty, they get picky over stupid little details in application forms and the staff are extremely unpleasant.

I know the old licences were incredibly easy to forge and county council offices weren't the right place to apply for a licence but these centres are a joke.

I got the new license recently and I found it was a very pleasant and easy experience compared to anything I had to put up with before. And this despite their computer system crashing halfway through the process.
    The front of office staff were few on the ground alright but there weren't many customers either as it was done on an appointment basis. The lady dealing with me was very nice and even offered me a cup of tea while they waited for their IT support to reboot the system.
    This was in Clare Hall btw. Either I was very lucky or some others are very unlucky. I did see people sent away for not having the right documentation, but that's their own problem, the list of acceptable documents is very clear (if a tad OTT)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dairy milk

Does anyone know what is required to bring into the NDLS centre with you? Do you need to fill out forms or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

dairy milk wrote: »
    Does anyone know what is required to bring into the NDLS centre with you? Do you need to fill out forms or anything?

https://www.ndls.ie/what-do-you-need-to-know.html

don't forget something with your PPS on, I did first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

How come Cork always shows 'nothing available' when I try book?

Is there a problem with this centre?

attachment.php?attachmentid=501469&stc=1&d=1580382721

Advertisement