Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Worker Robs Elderly. No Jail Time

Options
  • 19-11-2015 5:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Sociopathic behaviour from the Orwellian Inner Party members in Public Sector Unions and naturally the politicians and courts make sure they suffer no jail time. If this was a worker in the private sector they would be already in jail.
    A pensioner who had been told by Hennessy she had only accumulated four instead of five weekly pension payments on a particular day made a complaint to An Post and an internal audit was carried out. Gardaí were later notified.

Det Garda Alan McCarthy said the accused woman’s modus operandi was to tell customers they had accumulated entitlements of one less than the number to which they were entitled. She would then pocket the extra payment.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/post-office-worker-who-stole-60k-from-welfare-recipients-avoids-jail-365537.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Money was paid back in full, suspended sentence of 2 and a half men years, and her psychological issues were noted.

What would putting her in jail accomplish?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    If this was a worker in the private sector they would be already in jail.

AIB staff avoided jail after stealing 40 grand more.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/aib-worker-spared-jail-after-stealing-100-000-1.1970487

Anglo Irish Bank staff avoids jail after stealing 200 grand.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-anglo-employee-who-defrauded-200k-from-bank-avoids-jail-30459511.html

BOI manager avoids jail also.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0618/325544-former-manager-jailed-for-stealing-from-bank/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

How did the Public sector Union keep them out of Jail ?

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sociopathic behaviour from the Orwellian Inner Party members in Public Sector Unions and naturally the politicians and courts make sure they suffer no jail time. If this was a worker in the private sector they would be already in jail.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/post-office-worker-who-stole-60k-from-welfare-recipients-avoids-jail-365537.html

War is peace
    Freedom is slavery
    Ignorance is strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

uch wrote: »

Apparently it was the " Sociopathic behaviour from the Orwellian Inner Party members .... " that did the trick. Devious little feckers those sociopathic orwellians, don't you know.

Why I'm wastng time even replying to this nonsense thread is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Apparently it was the " Sociopathic behaviour from the Orwellian Inner Party members .... " that did the trick. Devious little feckers those sociopathic orwellians, don't you know.

Why I'm wastng time even replying to this nonsense thread is beyond me.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Money was paid back in full, suspended sentence of 2 and a half men years, and her psychological issues were noted.

What would putting her in jail accomplish?

Punishment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS

At the 5 lamps? Are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It comes as no surprise, the judiciary in this country are the most detached shower of blissfully ignorant **** ever. They live in their silly little pampered bubbles and base their ridiculous decisions on the utter bull**** the equally detached solicitors and barristers feed them. The system is a complete disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So true. No private sector worker ever committed a crime and got a suspended sentence in the history of the state.

What involvement has a trade union or any politician in the trial? I seem to have missed that bit in the coverage of the case I read.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

osarusan wrote: »

Has anyone else ever noticed that a private sector job to a civil servant is working in a bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Has anyone else ever noticed that a private sector job to a civil servant is working in a bank?

I think you'll find many private sector criminals are not bankers. Suspended sentences are a joke for sure but they are not the prerogative of the public sector.

Still waiting for an example of trade union or political influence in the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Do you have anything at all to say on your 'if this was private sector they'd be in prison' comment?

I mean, in light of what I posted, would you like to revise or qualify it in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hands up if anyone is actually suprised at all

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

An Post employees are not public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

An Post employees are not public servants.

They're a semi-state company and so are as good as because they're still being paid by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

uch wrote: »

Nada. The thread is just an excuse to bash the union

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

They're a semi-state company and so are as good as because they're still being paid by the state.

Not since 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sociopathic behaviour from the Orwellian Inner Party members in Public Sector Unions
    Agenda much?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sociopathic behaviour from the Orwellian Inner Party members in Public Sector Unions and naturally the politicians and courts make sure they suffer no jail time. If this was a worker in the private sector they would be already in jail

Are you posting in the wrong forum

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement